L-1011 Tristar as ugly as it gets?

Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
This reminds of the MD-11, I had the opportunity to fly with AA on one.

What were the key differences between;
  • DC10
  • Tristar
  • MD11

Did BA only have the Tristar?
BA had DC10 among their fleet.
I was a regular passenger back in 1998 on LGW-EBB-LGW route.

U!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Apparently, BA also operated DC-10s in the early 1980s, perhaps in conjunction with Air New Zealand.

My first BA flight was JFK-LGW on a DC-10 in June 1993. Flew LHR-JFK on the way back on a 747 classic (-100 or -200) and found the seats in WT on the 747 to be much less comfortable with much less legroom than the DC-10.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: American
I am an aeronautical engineer and since its launch I have loved the Lockheed L-1011. Fuel hog for sure, but it is the singular most beautiful commercial aircraft ever made, much to do with it's size. Livery had a big effect on how it looked, though. I don't like the BA livery on the aircraft, preferring the Delta livery. Just compare it to the DC-10/MD-10/MD-11 and you will see how much better looking it is than the other wide body tri-jet. And it is not just the tail design, it is the nose of the aircraft and the way the landing gear are set up. I loved flying on the L-1011. A college classmate of mine flew them all over the world and he loved the aircraft. Sometimes, when he was transporting troops on them, he would do things like tight turns onto final just to demonstrate the aircraft's abilities. The old Lockheed was a fantastic place with the Skunk Works (RTM).

Second place: Venerable "Queen of the Skies"

Third place: Concord

Honorable mention: British Comet and French Caravelle, kind of death machines, though.

Future placeholders: Boeing 780 and Airbus 350, plastic airplanes, hah hah.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by Jackie_414; Apr 28, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Premier Gold, Pan Am WorldPass (disc.), Hertz Gold, IHC Gold Elite, Marriott Plat. Elite
L1011 Ugly? Not as bad as........

The Handley Page Victor.

Not a civil aviation airplane, of course, but still pretty ugly!
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:34 pm

Read about the long range attacks, Black Bucks, that the Brits put together during Falkland Islands war. Then you'll be impressed with what the Victors did. Besides, military aircraft as supposed to look ugly . . . and mean!
'andad likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:38 pm

Interesting, because a sharp ATC could have saved Eastern 401. Apparently there weren't any in Miami at the time.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Premier Gold, Pan Am WorldPass (disc.), Hertz Gold, IHC Gold Elite, Marriott Plat. Elite
Originally Posted by Jackie_414
Read about the long range attacks, Black Bucks, that the Brits put together during Falkland Islands war. Then you'll be impressed with what the Victors did. Besides, military aircraft as supposed to look ugly . . . and mean!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:40 pm

Your point is well taken. And no offense was intended.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:26 pm

Yes yes yes.

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Cottage Close or Penny Lane, 5 toilets in a row.
Im glad Im not the only one who remembered this feature. It seemed to reduce the wait for the restroom by having them lined up. Plus they were shaped like a pizza pie slice so they were more spacious (maybe?) than other aircraft labs.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I adore the Tristar and a good friend of ours was a Captain in the late 70s/ early 80s. My mother had the privilege of him sitting in the right hand seat of a Piper Archer some years later when she (in the left hand seat) was coming into Bournemouth one day from Le
Touquet.
it was a very busy day and he had the radio, she doesnt know whether it was his smooth professional dulcet times or luck but they jumped the queue and were on the ground in super quick time!

All I remember of him was that he did indeed have such a mellifluous voice and to this day its the voice of a BA Captain IMO of course.

Last edited by SaraJH; Apr 28, 2020 at 4:33 pm Reason: Added IMO
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I don’t have a personal picture but probably not the ugliest but maybe the smallest aircraft in BA colours has to be the Piper Tomahawk that flew from British Airways Flying Club at Booker Airfield.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Sky Miles Platinum, IHG Platinum
This post brings back many good memories. Back in the mid 70's I was working for a logistics firm in Singapore and although SQ was an excellent airline even back in those days, I almost exclusively flew CX who had a fleet of these L-1011's. Mostly it was a trip to HKG every couple of months either directly or via BKK and over several years got friendly with a number of their crew members. Unlike most Asian carriers at the time, CX recruited their crews from throughout Asia but they were all based in HKG. One thing I did not know until a FA took me for a ride was that these planes had elevators into the lower hold where the galley was located. Pretty cool. CX also use to serve some of their alcohol out of 750 ml bottles and because of some regulation they had to discard any open bottles upon landing between any international destinations, which for them, was every flight. On numerous occasions I ended up being the recipient of a bottle of brandy or whiskey that had but one drink taken from it. Nice perk.
Was stationed in Saudia Arabia in 1977 where TWA use to provide ground maintenance to SV at this time who also flew a fleet of L-1011's out of JED. Unfortunately JED was pretty undeveloped in those days (1 paved road) so it was a tough place for all those family members with the maintenance personnel. A lot of culture shock and subsequently employee turnover.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by oldclipper
The Handley Page Victor.

Not a civil aviation airplane, of course, but still pretty ugly!
Do-228 was one ugly bird. I remember seeing the Suckling Airways ones on the tarmac at MAN. They were butt ugly planes
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Jackie_414
I am an aeronautical engineer and since its launch I have loved the Lockheed L-1011. Fuel hog for sure, but it is the singular most beautiful commercial aircraft ever made, much to do with it's size. Livery had a big effect on how it looked, though. I don't like the BA livery on the aircraft, preferring the Delta livery. Just compare it to the DC-10/MD-10/MD-11 and you will see how much better looking it is than the other wide body tri-jet.
As much time as I spent on BA Tri-Stars in the 80's I spent even more on the AC ones. I always thought they looked great in the old red and white AC colours
jazzhou and Great_circle like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
And a suite of loos down the back in Y
That is one thing I remember from my only ever flight on a L1011 (TWA) in 1987. Plus very small windows.
This particular flight (AMS-JFK) was almost empty, otherwise it would be a claustrophobic experience with the 2-5-2 seating (although KLM offered the same in their DC10’s).
But back to subject I think it was as beautiful as any tri-jet. Anyone who thinks the L1011 isn’t pretty should have one more good look at the Yak 40 (also a tri-jet) which IMO reaches an unsurpassed level of uglyness ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.