Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Falkland Islands on Avios Points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Falkland Islands on Avios Points?

I understand LATAM is leaving oneworld at the end of the month but one can still book LATAM flights past then if I understand correctly. Is there any hope of booking a flight to MPN (Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands) on BA Avios points before LATAM leaves? I cannot seem to find any availability out of SCL/PUQ/GRU at all...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I actually looked into this (albeit at relatively short notice) whilst in South America last month, but in the end just couldn’t make it work within my available time - not least because I had already squeezed in a trip to Easter Island.

There are, IIRC (?) once-weekly services to MPN from SCL (Saturday) and from GRU (Wednesday). You will struggle to find any avios availability for either of these.

Seem to recall that the GRU option is very reasonable in Y, but quite a scary price in J. If you’re keen to visit, a cash fare is almost certainly going to be your only realistic option.
our_kid likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Hi - you will struggle to find any Avios availability at all from PUQ to MPN - it’s an expensive route at the best of times. If you can originate your travel in GRU the ticket pricing is quite reasonable and there’s a GRU-MPN direct too.

Such a beautiful place and do make sure you go out West Falkland too!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor Platinum, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by YYC009
I understand LATAM is leaving oneworld at the end of the month but one can still book LATAM flights past then if I understand correctly. Is there any hope of booking a flight to MPN (Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands) on BA Avios points before LATAM leaves? I cannot seem to find any availability out of SCL/PUQ/GRU at all...
I lived in the Falkland Islands for just over 2 years and looked into Avios availability between MPN and PUQ / SCL on a frequent basis. Was never successful in finding availability via BA.com. Not sure if I was unfortunate or whether LATAM even release award availability to BA..... Either way good luck, it's a unique place to visit.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did look into this a few months ago, just after the Brazil service started. What I noticed was that LATAM's own system meant that PUQ-MPN would be unlikely to show up since LATAM's sliding scale system effectively parked it off into the "low but not the minimum" level of LATAM Points, thereby taking it off Avios. Same for GRU. I think I did find a single Córdoba flight on Avios (it was only a once a month service anyway). However I did find on Avios at least a few SCL-MPN services, thanks to LATAM's Married Segment issue just for once working in travellers' favour. I've had a look just now, and my feeling is that at the moment the LATAM end is down, which isn't unusual.

Going forward, anyone looking to do this is probably best to participate in LATAM Pass, at least in terms of getting a good discount on off peak services. LATAM is still indicating that it wants some sort of relationship with oneworld airlines, excluding AA, until at least September 2020. Clearly in the current conditions this is somewhat hypothetical.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I was able to find award availability to / from MPN a year or two ago, but couldn't quite justifty spending a whole week in the Falklands (as lovely as I'm certain it will be). However, since the second flight came along, alowing potential 3-4 day visits, I've been unable to find anything. C'est la vie!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I guess Avios just won't work but I did see reasonable fares GRU-MPN so if I decide to go that may be the way to purchase the ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I guess Avios just won't work but I did see reasonable fares GRU-MPN so if I decide to go that may be the way to purchase the ticket.
I wish the second airport code ended in a Y!
nancypants and H2L like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LAN still fly RGL-MPN once a week as far as I know.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
LAN still fly RGL-MPN once a week as far as I know.
I’m pretty sure the Rio Gallegos link is only a once-monthly add-on stop to the SCL route.
Likewise, there is also a link to Cordoba on the GRU service - but again, just once a month.
HIDDY and Odiy like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:14 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I understand LATAM is leaving oneworld at the end of the month but one can still book LATAM flights past then if I understand correctly.
LATAM expects to continue to be a BAEC partner following its departure from *O on 01 May 2020:

www.LATAM.com/en_us/about-us/latam-delta-alliance/
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by subject2load
I’m pretty sure the Rio Gallegos link is only a once-monthly add-on stop to the SCL route.
Likewise, there is also a link to Cordoba on the GRU service - but again, just once a month.
RGL is a strange stop - if you’re doing this ensure you get an exit stamp from Argentina. Personally I would recommend you fly from PUQ.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by our_kid
RGL is a strange stop - if you’re doing this ensure you get an exit stamp from Argentina. Personally I would recommend you fly from PUQ.
Noted, thanks, should I ever have another try at a visit (which I’m fairly keen to do).

And whilst on the fascinating subject of the various flight / route options, it’s worth adding that - for UK-based folk - the MOD still run regular flights from RAF Brize Norton (Oxfordshire) to the Falklands, and tickets can be purchased by civilian travellers - although no First Class cabins AFAIK
I believe (?) there is a technical / refuel stop, during the long trek down, in Cape Verde,
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: QF WP
I want to do the air bridge from Brize Norton at some point, especially now LATAM is leaving. Maybe some kind of bizarre round trip?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:18 am

@ nancypants - something in the region of GBP 2000 for a return ticket, I believe. Certainly an unusual flight in all respects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.