FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA 787-10 deliveries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2016228-ba-787-10-deliveries.html)

1Aturnleft Apr 21, 2020 11:00 am

BA 787-10 deliveries

I recollect the inaugural BA 787-10 service was chalked up for the Atlanta route back in February. This was subsequently pushed back to a later date (April?)
Curious as to whether any of 10 series Dreamliners have joined the fleet yet and if so/not so where they currently are.

jerry a. laska Apr 21, 2020 11:05 am

Discussion/speculation has been occurring here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...acker-279.html

Schind Apr 21, 2020 11:22 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 32312414)
I recollect the inaugural BA 787-10 service was chalked up for the Atlanta route back in February. This was subsequently pushed back to a later date (April?)
Curious as to whether any of 10 series Dreamliners have joined the fleet yet and if so/not so where they currently are.

The link has already been posted but the current situation is one frame is ready for delivery, it appears BA have deferred accepting it. The second is off the production line but hasn't had any test flights yet, the third is at the beginning of the production line. Problem is Boeing's plant in Charleston is currently closed due to CV so nothing's being produced at the moment.

rockflyertalk Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Schind (Post 32312484)
The link has already been posted but the current situation is one frame is ready for delivery, it appears BA have deferred accepting it. The second is off the production line but hasn't had any test flights yet, the third is at the beginning of the production line. Problem is Boeing's plant in Charleston is currently closed due to CV so nothing's being produced at the moment.

don't forget the 4th...BA hasn't quite got any passengers :D

1Aturnleft Apr 21, 2020 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 32312431)
Discussion/speculation has been occurring here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...acker-279.html

Has it? I must have been mesmorised by all the 747/380 chatter. How far back do I need to go exactly?

1Aturnleft Apr 21, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft (Post 32312506)
Has it? I must have been mesmorised by all the 747/380 chatter. How far back do I need to go exactly?

March 17 - Thanks Schind! :D:tu:

Boeing77W Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm

As others have said restrictions with COVID-19 have delayed delivery. There have also been delays due to issues in the cabin. As of a few days ago, there was no date given for the first delivery.

Speedbird Julie Apr 22, 2020 4:25 am

I saw something on Twitter about Etihad refusing to accept delivery of a 787-10 unless Boeing gave them a 70% discount. They acquiesced, apparently...

Wonder if BA are playing hardball too.

FlyerTalker39574 Apr 22, 2020 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie (Post 32314275)
I saw something on Twitter about Etihad refusing to accept delivery of a 787-10 unless Boeing gave them a 70% discount. They acquiesced, apparently....

Is that a verified comment on twitter?

Speedbird Julie Apr 22, 2020 4:46 am

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 32314293)

It was from some kind of news service IIRC.

Schind Apr 22, 2020 4:52 am

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 32314293)

It was reported by the FT, although it doesn't name the airline.

"At the end of March, just days before Boeing was set to hand over a new 787 Dreamliner to one of its most valued customers in the Middle East, the airline’s head of procurement picked up the phone to the US aircraft maker. The deal was off, unless Boeing was willing to increase the 55 per cent discount it had already agreed on the $338m list price. In normal times, an airline would hesitate before threatening to cancel an order at such a late stage. Cancellation would normally mean heavy penalties and forfeiting the downpayments, which for Boeing’s state of the art twin-aisle model amounted to close to $100m of the agreed $150m price tag. But these are not normal times. Boeing caved in and cut the price by a further 15 per cent, according to people involved in the deal. The US aircraft maker — which declined to comment on the contract details — saw more value in getting the jet out of the hangar than haggling for a few million dollars more."

*edit*
Tried to post a link but it doesn't work.

FlyerTalker39574 Apr 22, 2020 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Schind (Post 32314312)
It was reported by the FT, although it doesn't name the airline.

"At the end of March, just days before Boeing was set to hand over a new 787 Dreamliner to one of its most valued customers in the Middle East, the airline’s head of procurement picked up the phone to the US aircraft maker. The deal was off, unless Boeing was willing to increase the 55 per cent discount it had already agreed on the $338m list price. In normal times, an airline would hesitate before threatening to cancel an order at such a late stage. Cancellation would normally mean heavy penalties and forfeiting the downpayments, which for Boeing’s state of the art twin-aisle model amounted to close to $100m of the agreed $150m price tag. But these are not normal times. Boeing caved in and cut the price by a further 15 per cent, according to people involved in the deal. The US aircraft maker — which declined to comment on the contract details — saw more value in getting the jet out of the hangar than haggling for a few million dollars more."

*edit*
Tried to post a link but it doesn't work.

So FT implying it’s one out of five Middle East airlines and one out of three Dreamliner models from one out of at least two Boeing Dreamliner production facilities. I’ll file that under ‘appears twaddle’.

Schind Apr 22, 2020 5:11 am

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 32314326)
So FT implying it’s one out of five Middle East airlines and one out of three Dreamliner models from one out of at least two Boeing Dreamliner production facilities. I’ll file that under ‘appears twaddle’.

Hmmm. Looking into it further, Etihad last had a 787 delivered in January. The only one delivered in March for that area was for Saudi Arabian Airlines.

TedToToe Apr 22, 2020 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Schind (Post 32314347)
Hmmm. Looking into it further, Etihad last had a 787 delivered in January. The only one delivered in March for that area was for Saudi Arabian Airlines.

I would also suggest that Etihad wouldn’t be considered “one of its most valued customers in the Middle East”, right now!

chucko Apr 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 32312494)
don't forget the 4th...BA hasn't quite got any passengers :D

Not quite - they seem to be operating a lot of repatriation flights, and have been rotating their 777 and 787 aircraft into cargo flights, about the only sources of revenue around these days.