Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787-10 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BenWBriscoe
I guess it may not be a technical issue...could it be that BA know they just don't need it at the moment plus there's not a lot of space at LHR at the mo...
They don't need aircraft from Airbus right now but they're still accepting them. There was a news article yesterday detailing how Boeing are flying a private jet to get Vistara crew over to the US so that they can accept a 787 that's ready for them as it's the only way they can get there. I know BA are flying to the US regularly but perhaps there's still an issue with the amount of crew needed to fly the plane back? This certainly makes sense at the moment and last week Boeing announced this was the main reason they delivered no passenger aircraft during May.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76417446.cms

Last edited by Schind; Jun 18, 2020 at 9:28 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:22 am

I'm being told (by Pilots and Engineers) that it's down to a series of technical issues. Too many defects.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I'm being told (by Pilots and Engineers) that it's down to a series of technical issues. Too many defects.
And that's before they get it back to Heathrow and check the fuel tanks for spanners, bolts and oily rags etc.
I see the USAF have refused another KC-46 due to finding 'trash' in various nooks and crannies.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Wow, must be quite a major problem as the jet is now almost five months late.

Any idea what they are? Seems strange that the delivery flight was scheduled and then pulled at the last moment...I'm wondering if it's the same technical issues ongoing or new ones springing up.

Could also be Boeing happy to sign off the jet, but BA not happy with the defects...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by BenWBriscoe
Wow, must be quite a major problem as the jet is now almost five months late.

Any idea what they are? Seems strange that the delivery flight was scheduled and then pulled at the last moment...I'm wondering if it's the same technical issues ongoing or new ones springing up.

Could also be Boeing happy to sign off the jet, but BA not happy with the defects...
Don't know, sorry. I think it's a series of issues rather than just one. The memory I had was of G-ZBJA, which had hundreds of defects, and was deferred, where JB had less and was accepted. Here it must be a series of fundamentally flawed things, maybe concatenated. People are considerably tight-lipped on the topic.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:49 am

By the time ZBLA is delivered, it may be near its retirement!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:27 am
Suspended

Have United and Singapore Airlines been sharing copies of their snagging sheets?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
Have United and Singapore Airlines been sharing copies of their snagging sheets?
BA have, themselves, considerable experience with the 787. Wikipedia suggests they are the 9th largest customer for it. I suspect they have built up a fair knowledge of what to look for and exactly what these airplanes look like after 7 years of hard labour in the BA fleet. Im looking forward to seeing what the Club Suite is like on the -10. Between them the 787 and A350 are the future of the long-haul fleet. With the rapid retirement of the global A380 fleet, I do wonder if it will ever be reconfigured with CS now. Which would be a real shame, even with NGCW the A380 is a fantastic in-flight experience.
volar likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Im looking forward to seeing what the Club Suite is like on the -10.
I wanna know what sort of wifi they've got. The Gogo system that has been retrofitted on the other 787s or the Panasonic system that's factory fitted on the A350s. I've seen speculation it's going to be Panasonic (thus vastly overpriced at the moment) but I haven't seen it confirmed.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:39 am
Suspended

BA have, themselves, considerable experience with the 787. Wikipedia suggests they are the 9th largest customer for it. I suspect they have built up a fair knowledge of what to look for and exactly what these airplanes look like after 7 years of hard labour in the BA fleet...
Yes, but any information from SQ and UA regarding snags on their B787-10s would enable BA to create an 8,9 &10 full snagging checklist.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
Yes, but any information from SQ and UA regarding snags on their B787-10s would enable BA to create an 8,9 &10 full snagging checklist.
Airframe documentation is shared by the OEM, and there are local reps looking into the build, so there's not really a need for a "snagging sheet". Also, there can be specific issues affecting a specific aircraft, or a sub-type, or a type of equipment that only one airline has (example: the flooring and overall trim on the Etihad A380 because of the apartment thingy). Having said that, airline employees talk to each other: the first news of Trent 1000 issues came to BA from Royal Brunei.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:29 pm

I didn't realise that G-ZBJB was delivered before JA (only days it appears). Do we think it is more likely that G-ZBLB will arrive before G-ZBLA? What's the delivery schedule for G-ZBLB?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:26 pm

... With the rapid retirement of the global A380 fleet, I do wonder if it will ever be reconfigured with CS now. Which would be a real shame, even with NGCW the A380 is a fantastic in-flight experience.
I don't think they will upgrade the A380 to include the CS, unless something (equally) dramatic happens that makes it more economical relative speaking. I think putting the CS in the A380 would have been interesting given the cabin widths for main and upper deck probably resulting in a complete reconfiguration of the passenger space, but I don't think we'll ever know. And I agree - as a passenger I really like the A380!

rb211.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Schind
I wanna know what sort of wifi they've got. The Gogo system that has been retrofitted on the other 787s or the Panasonic system that's factory fitted on the A350s. I've seen speculation it's going to be Panasonic (thus vastly overpriced at the moment) but I haven't seen it confirmed.
The -10 will be delivered with Panasonic IFE and WiFi.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
The -10 will be delivered with Panasonic IFE and WiFi.
I don’t know what bit is more exiting, the fact it’ll have WiFi or the fact it will be delivered .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.