Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787-10 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
In the 1% chance this isn’t a joke i’m pretty sure those seats are too wide.
And probably too chunky and heavy.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I think the old 777 WT seat is the same as the -8 and -9. But when the 777 was converted to 10 abreast, they received the newer seat which is the same as the A350. That suggests that to me it’s a narrower seat to allow 10 across.
The BA Source has the following measurements:

- 787-9: 17.5" seat width 8F42J39W127Y | The BA Source
- 787-8: 17.2" seat width 35J25W154Y | The BA Source
- 777-200ER: 17.2" seat width 32J52W252Y | The BA Source & 14F48J40W134Y | The BA Source

They do not have details for the A350-1000
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
The BA Source has the following measurements:

- 787-9: 17.5" seat width 8F42J39W127Y | The BA Source
- 787-8: 17.2" seat width 35J25W154Y | The BA Source
- 777-200ER: 17.2" seat width 32J52W252Y | The BA Source & 14F48J40W134Y | The BA Source

They do not have details for the A350-1000
Godsavethepoints quotes on the width on the A351 being 17.5", which would mean that it should be ever so slightly wider than that on the 772.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't select a wider seat, as the A350 supports 9 abreast at 18". Either way, I'm pretty sure the seat for the 777 and the A350 may look identical but not the same, as they are probably made to the specification of each aircraft. For instance, CX's retrofitted 777 seat looks similar with their A350 seats, yet their A350 is wider.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Godsavethepoints quotes on the width on the A351 being 17.5", which would mean that it should be ever so slightly wider than that on the 772.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't select a wider seat, as the A350 supports 9 abreast at 18". Either way, I'm pretty sure the seat for the 777 and the A350 may look identical but not the same, as they are probably made to the specification of each aircraft. For instance, CX's retrofitted 777 seat looks similar with their A350 seats, yet their A350 is wider.
Any loss of seat width is gained by the aisle, which can be very useful on packed economy flights. Plus the cost savings of one large order vs two medium sized...
Old May 17, 2020, 12:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rhysflies
Any loss of seat width is gained by the aisle, which can be very useful on packed economy flights. Plus the cost savings of one large order vs two medium sized...
I'm quite sure it all goes on one order, given how the seats are the same product offered by the manufacturer, either way. I'm not exactly sure how they negotiate these things, but logically each seat must be tailored to fit the specification of each aircraft type, no?
Old May 20, 2020, 7:57 am

I'm quite sure it all goes on one order, given how the seats are the same product offered by the manufacturer, either way. I'm not exactly sure how they negotiate these things, but logically each seat must be tailored to fit the specification of each aircraft type, no?
It might go on one order but it is hard to imagine there isn't a penalty for having different variants - after all, it adds complexity to manufacture. Whilst BA are happy to shoulder this cost on Club Suite (depending on the aircraft, the side console changes width) they may think it is not worth it in economy. Easier to just bulk-buy a seat that will fit into every aircraft type regardless of 3-3-3 or 3-4-3.

Of course, I'm wildly speculating here but that would seem sensible to me!
Old May 20, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
It might go on one order but it is hard to imagine there isn't a penalty for having different variants - after all, it adds complexity to manufacture. Whilst BA are happy to shoulder this cost on Club Suite (depending on the aircraft, the side console changes width) they may think it is not worth it in economy. Easier to just bulk-buy a seat that will fit into every aircraft type regardless of 3-3-3 or 3-4-3.

Of course, I'm wildly speculating here but that would seem sensible to me!
That would make sense apart from the fact that in economy seats come as blocks do they not? For example the 3 or 4 seats in the middle are one unit and thus it isn't as simple as "bolting together a few seats"?
Old May 21, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
That would make sense apart from the fact that in economy seats come as blocks do they not? For example the 3 or 4 seats in the middle are one unit and thus it isn't as simple as "bolting together a few seats"?
Yes, but the seats aren't bench-like - they literally are just bolted together somehow. My point stands that introducing an additional seat width increases the complexity of manufacturing. Why bother, when you can just stick to 17.5" for all economy seats?
Old May 21, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Yes, but the seats aren't bench-like - they literally are just bolted together somehow. My point stands that introducing an additional seat width increases the complexity of manufacturing. Why bother, when you can just stick to 17.5" for all economy seats?
Its really not that simple. The seat tracks in the floor may be in different places, the stay-out zone between the edge of the seat and the aircraft wall may be different. You may choose to have narrower armrests on one aircraft to give more passenger space but might not need to on the other because of the cabin width. The benefit of choosing a platform seat like BA has done is Recaro will have a range of widths they can easily offer and so its still a bulk order but can be tailored to the dimensions of a particular aircraft cabin. I expect the seats will be similar but the width may be slightly different to take account of the 787s narrower cabin than the A350
clubeurope and revorgap like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

1) Wider seats are heavier (more material x100s)
2) Consistent Customer Experience across the fleet (why provide something better when the option exists )
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
The first 787-10 is now due to arrive into LHR on Sunday 31 May. The -10 has the same WT and WTP seat as those found on the A350 although not sure on exact dimensions. As the IFE has been upgraded to Panasonic X series, the 'Touch Passenger Media Unit' i.e. small touchscreen in First, has been replaced and hopefully will be a tad more responsive!
Prospero and BAeuro like this.

Last edited by Boeing77W; May 26, 2020 at 4:41 pm Reason: Info/Grammar
Old May 26, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
The first 787-10 is now due to arrive into LHR on Sunday 31 May. The -10 has the same WT and WTP seat as those found on the A350 although not sure on exact dimensions. As the IFE has been upgraded to Panasonic X series, the 'Touch Passenger Media Unit' i.e. small touchscreen in First, has been replaced and hopefully will be a tad more responsive!
Great update, thanks!

Any news on when G-ZBLB is due?
Old May 26, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Any clue as to what its first commercial flight will be? And also, when is it scheduled to fly to the Americas for the first time.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by itripreport
Any clue as to what its first commercial flight will be? And also, when is it scheduled to fly to the Americas for the first time.
I saw a post in a Facebook group stating that it's penciled in for Atlanta on the 1st of June.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
I saw a post in a Facebook group stating that it's penciled in for Atlanta on the 1st of June.
Unless that flight isn't something scheduled, that information seems out of date.
Atlanta is not one of the operating routes in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.