Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787-10 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:07 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Schind
It was reported by the FT, although it doesn't name the airline.

"At the end of March, just days before Boeing was set to hand over a new 787 Dreamliner to one of its most valued customers in the Middle East, the airline’s head of procurement picked up the phone to the US aircraft maker. The deal was off, unless Boeing was willing to increase the 55 per cent discount it had already agreed on the $338m list price. In normal times, an airline would hesitate before threatening to cancel an order at such a late stage. Cancellation would normally mean heavy penalties and forfeiting the downpayments, which for Boeing’s state of the art twin-aisle model amounted to close to $100m of the agreed $150m price tag. But these are not normal times. Boeing caved in and cut the price by a further 15 per cent, according to people involved in the deal. The US aircraft maker — which declined to comment on the contract details — saw more value in getting the jet out of the hangar than haggling for a few million dollars more."

*edit*
Tried to post a link but it doesn't work.
Sounds like the sort of move Akbar Al Baker at QR would pull given how vocal he has been in calling out both Airbus and Boeing and delaying taking delivery of aircraft in the past.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
Not quite - they seem to be operating a lot of repatriation flights, and have been rotating their 777 and 787 aircraft into cargo flights, about the only sources of revenue around these days.
O’Leary probably refers to his passengers as cargo but I didn’t realise BA were too!

I know they have some passengers but with less than 20 flights per day (if it hasn’t declined further?) rather than their usual 300+ flights per day, to say you have passengers would be a bit insulting to BA. (IAG) in today’s numbers.

Sadly that is the reality. Yes they have a few passengers but not enough that they have ground 200 odd aircraft! ...I lost count. 200 (plus/minus) British Airways aircraft parked up. That is remarkable. Something that is incredibly strange to type let alone digest or see the reality of it.

Which, whilst isolating and being online through websites, social media etc it’s very easy to forget the outside world and what’s actually happening or not as the case maybe. Seeing a deserted Oxford Street on a news site today is very strange, almost apocalyptic.

I imagine if we were to visit Glasgow or LGW and see the aircraft all lined up, parked and engines covered, the reality might really hit home.

So on that basis I think even I could make the decision that 787 delivery can be rescheduled.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
So FT implying it’s one out of five Middle East airlines and one out of three Dreamliner models from one out of at least two Boeing Dreamliner production facilities. I’ll file that under ‘appears twaddle’.
By stating the list price of $338 million, the FT is at least committing that it's a 787-10. The -8 and -9 are $248m and $292m respectively. (Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...craft-by-type/)
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
By stating the list price of $338 million, the FT is at least committing that it's a 787-10. The -8 and -9 are $248m and $292m respectively. (Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...craft-by-type/)

Here's a list of delivered 787s from All things 787

The thing that troubles me is that the FT say "at the end of March" which doesn't tie in with the date of the Saudia delivery. I've checked FR24 and the aircraft was physically delivered on the 19th. If the incident happened 'days before' then it was mid-March. Perhaps this is just an insignificant mistake or maybe it hints that the article is indeed 'twaddle'. As in my last post, I'm filing it under 'hmmm' for now.

Anyway, we're straying off topic. Sorry!
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deltus
or a price beginning with the higher number is just more of a story.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:40 pm

Does anyone know which World Traveller seat the 787-10 will have?

Will it have the older (and wider) seat that’s on the -8 and -9, or will they go with the same new narrow seat that’s on the 777 refits and A350?
Old May 15, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Does anyone know which World Traveller seat the 787-10 will have?

Will it have the older (and wider) seat that’s on the -8 and -9, or will they go with the same new narrow seat that’s on the 777 refits and A350?
I think they would go with the newer seat.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
I think they would go with the newer seat.
They’re rumoured to be using the seats that are coming out the 744s being scrapped at Cotswolds Airport.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by tom139
They’re rumoured to be using the seats that are coming out the 744s being scrapped at Cotswolds Airport.
That better be sarcasm 😂
choosethedrew likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
That better be sarcasm 😂
Some of those seat are new no?
Old May 16, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
When BA already have a First seat built for the 787, why would they go to the trouble of reworking secondhand seats from an aircraft cabin totally different in shape and size? With all these things, aircraft and seats already on firm order before COVID-19 struck, penalty clauses will exist for cancellation.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:44 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

does the -8 and the -9 actually have wider seats than the A350 though? seems unlikely given the standard width of Y seats on a 9-abreast 787 is similar to a 10-abreast 777.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I was sure that the seat on the -8 was the same width as the 10 across WT in the 777s. Are the A350 seats more narrow than those?!
Old May 16, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by tom139
In the 1% chance this isn’t a joke i’m pretty sure those seats are too wide.
BAeuro likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I was sure that the seat on the -8 was the same width as the 10 across WT in the 777s. Are the A350 seats more narrow than those?!
I think the old 777 WT seat is the same as the -8 and -9. But when the 777 was converted to 10 abreast, they received the newer seat which is the same as the A350. That suggests that to me it’s a narrower seat to allow 10 across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.