Return of Avios Points Used for others?

Old Apr 21, 20, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
Return of Avios Points Used for others?

I purchased flights using Avios for my niece and nephew. Now that the flight has been cancelled, will I get my Avios points back? And will the taxes be returned to the credit card we paid with (my credit card?).

I am happy to do this on-line if that is the case. No success after several days of trying to reach BA.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-NWNCL
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If the flight has been cancelled by BA then you need to cancel your booking and request a refund. The Avios will then be redeposited back into your account and the taxes will be refunded to your credit card.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, HHonours Diamond, Turkish Miles & Smiles Gold, Marriott Titanium
Great. Just didn't want to proceed with trying to cancel to find that the points would some how try to go into non-existent accounts for them or some sort of mess.

Thank you golfmad.
golfmad likes this.
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Only think to add to golfmad's post is that you will have to call to request the refund so keep trying, it doesn't seem to be possible to do it online atm.
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you KARFA. they had sent me an e-mail notifying me of the cancellation. I just didn't want to go in and cancel to find some sort of policy that it would have to be refunded to them somehow. I have gone in and now clicked the link and it allowed me to submit the cancellation request.
Old Apr 21, 20, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by nwncl View Post
Thank you KARFA. they had sent me an e-mail notifying me of the cancellation. I just didn't want to go in and cancel to find some sort of policy that it would have to be refunded to them somehow. I have gone in and now clicked the link and it allowed me to submit the cancellation request.
the online form is for a voucher not a refund ring up today asap and they might be able to refund before the voucher is picked up on the system. Once it has you are stuck with voucher
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

So frustrated with BA. So they have issued vouchers, both in the name of the passengers rather than just giving me miles back and crediting my tax.

It doesn't even state the value of the voucher. How do I find that out.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nwncl View Post
So frustrated with BA. So they have issued vouchers, both in the name of the passengers rather than just giving me miles back and crediting my tax.

It doesn't even state the value of the voucher. How do I find that out.
It should be written out on the original e-ticket in your email inbox. More details in the wiki of the main Rebooking thread, found in the BA Covid-19 Dashboard. I think it was pretty clear that applying for the eVoucher wasn't typically the best answer for Avios bookings, since a cash refund is possible, subject to a 35 redeposit fee if the flight operated, and a full refund if BA cancelled it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: