FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Impact of extended lockdown on BA June schedule (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2016148-impact-extended-lockdown-ba-june-schedule.html)

wb1969 Apr 20, 2020 5:00 am

Impact of extended lockdown on BA June schedule

With it looking increasingly likely the lockdown is going to extend well beyond mid May and quite possibly in to June before there is even a slight relaxation of current measures, it is highly likely there will be severe cuts to the planned June schedule.

In view of this I thought it a good idea to have a separate thread to the one for May.

I am keeping a keen eye on it as I’m due to fly to Vietnam on 3rd June, with LHR-HKG-LHR and HKG-HAN on separate tickets. Vietnam is currently out of bounds which makes the trip pointless so I’m hoping the BA flights get cancelled so I can get a refund.

I assume there are many on here with flights booked for the first half of June, anxious to know if their travel schedule will be disrupted.

northeastflyer Apr 20, 2020 5:04 am

Originally Posted by wb1969 (Post 32308559)
With it looking increasingly likely the lockdown is going to extend well beyond mid May and quite possibly in to June before there is even a slight relaxation of current measures, it is highly likely there will be severe cuts to the planned June schedule.

In view of this I thought it a good idea to have a separate thread to the one for May.

I am keeping a keen eye on it as I’m due to fly to Vietnam on 3rd June, with LHR-HKG-LHR and HKG-HAN on separate tickets. Vietnam is currently out of bounds which makes the trip pointless so I’m hoping the BA flights get cancelled so I can get a refund.

I assume there are many on here with flights booked for the first half of June, anxious to know if their travel schedule will be disrupted.

Bit of a guessing game at the moment I think but I think June cancellations would start approximately mid May. I personally have trips to Spain and Portugal June, July and September. Even if they're not cancelled I'll not be doing June and probably not July either. Possibly September, but that's Madrid.

mikeyfly Apr 20, 2020 5:06 am

BA are flying a daily service to HKG in May so may mean your flight remains for June

northeastflyer Apr 20, 2020 5:09 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 32308568)
BA are flying a daily service to HKG in May so may mean your flight remains for June

Even if the flight operates, it depends on what's happening nearer the tine regarding lockdown or relaxing of some measures, as we may still only be allowed to travel for essential reasons. Who knows at this point.
​​​

BA6948 Apr 20, 2020 5:18 am

My flight on June 1st from JNB to LHR in J has now been cancelled. Also cancelled, JNB-VFA/LVI-JNB end of May. And my ET flight to WDH rescheduled. So there goes my vacation to Namibia and Victoria falls. Not that I was thinking it is going to happen.

DreamTrip Apr 20, 2020 5:30 am

Why is BA waiting on cancelling short hauls for June?

For example, BA cancelled all flights to GOT through May. But is scheduling 2-3 flights a day starting June 1st.

I highly doubt they will fill 3 planes a week.

wb1969 Apr 20, 2020 5:38 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 32308568)

Trouble is that it’s not the one I’m booked on and if they switch my flight, I’ll miss my connection. That’s my problem to fix as separate tickets which is why I hope they give me an option to cancel as I can’t get in to Vietnam anyway.

Hoch Apr 20, 2020 5:41 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip (Post 32308608)

For example, BA cancelled all flights to GOT through May. But is scheduling 2-3 flights a day starting June 1st.

I would have thought because they want wait until the last possible moment to preserve cash.

I am of the view that June cancellations will be guided by the next assessment due in a little over a fortnight from now. My money has always been on the easing of the lockdown mid-May. But I certainly do not expect a rush of back to full flights.

H

ThatT1Feeling Apr 20, 2020 5:50 am

All I want in June is to be able to complete 70 TPs to get me to a GUF - clearly under the assumption that it’s OK to travel and I’d be putting nobody at particular risk.

I’m not one for TP runs particularly, and I’ve already had sufficient flights cancelled that I’d have got there by now, but as GUFs don’t seem to be covered under the reduced renewals, then I’d be a little miffed to miss out by such a small amount.

ISTFlyer Apr 20, 2020 5:57 am

Originally Posted by DreamTrip (Post 32308608)

They would wait until 14-15-16 May to see the demand and then cancel some of the flights at the 15-day legal limit.
Also, an earlier cancelation means, earlier refunds which would not be profitable for the economy of BA.

Keiran Newberry Apr 20, 2020 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Hoch (Post 32308616)
I would have thought because they want wait until the last possible moment to preserve cash.

I am of the view that June cancellations will be guided by the next assessment due in a little over a fortnight from now. My money has always been on the easing of the lockdown mid-May. But I certainly do not expect a rush of back to full flights.

H

I've tended to agree, mid to late May, and back to fully open early June. But the problem at the moment is the wider public believe that we should wait for a vaccine and that anything else is tantamount to murder and profit before people.

Whislt that's wholly impractical and untrue, I can see this lockdown lasting longer than it should because of uninformed public outcry

JohnnyCarmello Apr 20, 2020 6:29 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 32308586)
My flight on June 1st from JNB to LHR in J has now been cancelled. Also cancelled, JNB-VFA/LVI-JNB end of May. And my ET flight to WDH rescheduled. So there goes my vacation to Namibia and Victoria falls. Not that I was thinking it is going to happen.

That JNB-LHR flight is cancelled as a result of BA55 being cancelled in all of May, meaning that the aircraft won't be in position on 1 June in JNB I imagine.
I'm flying later that month on that route so will be following this thread keenly.

Lockdown measures need to be eased in both the country you're travelling to/from for the travel to be unrestricted, which I don't see as realistic.

RetiredATLATC Apr 20, 2020 6:38 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer (Post 32308564)
Bit of a guessing game at the moment I think but I think June cancellations would start approximately mid May. I personally have trips to Spain and Portugal June, July and September. Even if they're not cancelled I'll not be doing June and probably not July either. Possibly September, but that's Madrid.

There may be no travel to Spain in 2020.

Spain is looking at a two phase plan to re-open the country, and Labor Minister Yolanda Diaz has been quoted in recent days with an outlook that suggests no travel through 2020. Travel is currently lumped into plans of attenuated exceptionality, and attenuated normality, the latter of which won’t see a resurgence until 2021.

LondonElite Apr 20, 2020 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry (Post 32308662)
I've tended to agree, mid to late May, and back to fully open early June. But the problem at the moment is the wider public believe that we should wait for a vaccine and that anything else is tantamount to murder and profit before people.

Whislt that's wholly impractical and untrue, I can see this lockdown lasting longer than it should because of uninformed public outcry

Fully open in early June? LOL, that would invite a sharp second round of infections which the NHS, struggling at the best of times, would not be equipped to handle.

No one, unless they are genuinely uninformed or just not very knowledgable about these things, believes in a vaccine being available in short order. The informed view is that a virus, if one is developed and found to be successful, will not be widely available for between 12 to 18 months. Or the virus mutates, or no vaccine is properly developed. The only informed effective measure to stop the spread is quite literally to stop the spread.

Tiger_lily Apr 20, 2020 6:50 am

Mr TL and the children seem quite optimistic that we will be having our Greek holiday come mid-August.

They seem to have overlooked the fact that
a) BA may not be running flights to EFL by then
b) Greece may not be open to UK visitors by then
c) that our villa owners themselves have managed to get into Greece from Dubai to open up

I on the other hand remain to be convinced that we’ll be going anywhere before Christmas