Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Impact of extended lockdown on BA June schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mzb00
Planned long haul services for June 2020, published by routesonline.com

Long-haul routes
As of 0930GMT 07MAY20, planned June 2020 long-haul operation as follows. Additional changes expected in the next few days.

Heathrow to Boston: 1 daily 787-8
Heathrow to Chicago O’Hare: 1 daily 787-9
Heathrow to Delhi: 1 daily 787-8 (from 1st July)
Heathrow to Hong Kong: 3 weekly 777-300ER
Heathrow to Los Angeles: 1 daily 787-9
Heathrow to Mumbai: 787-9 operates alternating days (from 1st July)
Heathrow to New York JFK: 2 daily 747-400/777-200ER Daily 777-200ER
Heathrow to San Francisco: 1 daily 787-8 (from 8th June)
Heathrow to Sao Paulo Guarulhos: 1 daily 777-300ER (from 1st July)
Heathrow to Singapore: 777-300ER operates alternating days
Heathrow to Tel Aviv: 1 daily A350-1000XWB 4 x Weekly 777-300ER
Heathrow to Toronto: 1 daily 787-8 (from 1st July)
Heathrow to Washington Dulles: 1 daily A350-1000XWB

BA currently lists London Heathrow – Beijing Daxing (from 14JUN20) and London Heathrow – Shanghai Pu Dong schedule for June 2020, however only following booking class open for reservation: A / C / E / B. Both routes scheduled as alternating days service.

Short haul routes
British Airways in recent schedule update filed planned European operations for the month of June 2020. From London Heathrow, the oneWorld carrier plans to resume additional routes, offering 316 weekly flight departures (based on 10MAY20 OAG schedules data), instead of 1750 weekly listed as of 15MAR20.

As of 10MAY20, schedule listing also sees BA CityFlyer resumes operation, offering service from London City, Edinburgh and Glasgow from 01JUN20, while London Gatwick departures to be resumed by 01JUL20. Due to ongoing development, these plan may see further modification in the next few days.

Edinburgh – Florence 2 weekly
Edinburgh – Palma Mallorca 1 weekly
Glasgow – Palma Mallorca 1 weekly
London City – Amsterdam 16 weekly
London City – Berlin Tegel 9 weekly
London City – Dublin 17 weekly
London City – Edinburgh 17 weekly
London City – Florence 4 weekly
London City – Frankfurt 9 weekly
London City – Glasgow 13 weekly
London City – Ibiza 4 weekly
London City – Isle of Man 6 weekly
London City – Milan Linate 11 weekly
London City – Nice 4 weekly 0
London City – Rotterdam 15 weekly
London Heathrow – Aberdeen 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Amsterdam 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Athens eff 19JUN20 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Barcelona 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Basel/Mulhouse 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Belfast City 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Berlin Tegel 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Bologna 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Brussels 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Bucharest 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Budapest 10 weekly
London Heathrow – Copenhagen 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Dalaman 1 weekly
London Heathrow – Dublin 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Dusseldorf 6 weekly
London Heathrow – Edinburgh 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Faro 6 weekly
London Heathrow – Geneva 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Gibraltar 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Glasgow 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Ibiza 11 weekly
London Heathrow – Istanbul 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Krakow 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Larnaca eff 18JUN20 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Lisbon 11 weekly
London Heathrow – Madrid 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Malaga 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Manchester 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Milan Linate 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Moscow Domodedovo 14 weekly
London Heathrow – Moscow Sheremetyevo 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Munich 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Nice 11 weekly 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Oslo 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Palma Mallorca 13 weekly
London Heathrow – Paris CDG 7 weekly 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Prague 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Reykjavik Keflavik 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Rome 11 weekly
London Heathrow – Sofia 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Split 5 weekly
London Heathrow – Stockholm Arlanda 7 weekly
London Heathrow – Tenerife South 2 weekly
London Heathrow – Valencia 4 weekly
London Heathrow – Venice 10 weekly
London Heathrow – Warsaw 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Zagreb 3 weekly
London Heathrow – Zurich 7 weekly

Print Wikipost

Impact of extended lockdown on BA June schedule

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
With it looking increasingly likely the lockdown is going to extend well beyond mid May and quite possibly in to June before there is even a slight relaxation of current measures, it is highly likely there will be severe cuts to the planned June schedule.
From what I'm hearing, the US is unlikely to change the EU flight ban until at least July and the EU is now saying that they will keep their borders closed until end of August.

So the chances of flights going back to normal in June are very unlikely.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
And of course as long as the FCO continues to advise against all but essential travel, the vast majority of British people won’t be insured.

Going anywhere without insurance is unwise at the best of times but right now it would, to me at least, seem foolhardy in the extreme.

Of course there’ll be many prepared to risk it for a good deal - and they’ll presumably be quick to bleat to the media when it all goes belly up and they want repatriating at the taxpayer’s expense.

Last edited by GumshoeW12; Apr 22, 2020 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, I also thought about this but there would still be people who would see the cheaper fares and will to fly if the borders are open. Some people would care about social distancing, some would not. Also, most resort hotels ( if the respective governments permit them to open ) would have a much cheaper price which would attract more people.

Also if there is no regulation in place, BA and some other airlines would be happy to sell the 121st seat on a 180 seat A320.
1. You have not considered that asymptomatic carriers can infect others who then develop severe symptoms and possibly die. That is why lockdowns are not optional.

2. 180->120 is nowhere near social distancing.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
1. You have not considered that asymptomatic carriers can infect others who then develop severe symptoms and possibly die. That is why lockdowns are not optional.

You are obsessed with maintaining lockdown in to eternity. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

If borders are open it's more than likely we wouldn't be in lockdown.

120/180 is two thirds flight capacity, which is leaving middle seat empty, seemingly what is being suggested as what social distancing will look like on board
the810 and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
You are obsessed with maintaining lockdown in to eternity. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

120/180 is two thirds flight capacity, which is leaving middle seat empty, seemingly what is being suggested as what social distancing will look like on board
To clarify,

I am not saying anything that we would or should be able to travel later in the summer.
I am saying that if flights to these beach destinations operate, there would be people ( a minority ) who would like to fly to these beach destinations, and airlines would be willing to sell seats that they could.

By the way, the original question was related to later in the summer. Not to confused with "June" the actual title of the thread.

Plus, there would be some people who would prefer to go on holiday later this summer to avoid markups for Summer 2021. We all know that businesses ( tourism facilities ) would like to recover their losses for 2020 in 2021.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

I'm not obsessed with lockdown. It is driving me crazy. But I appreciate the science behind the issue and understand that the only way to prevent further spread is to prevent people from coming into contact with one another. Look at the botched way the UK and US have handled the situation. Herd immunity didn't work, and putting on the blinders that you're stronger than this virus won't either. Did you read about the Ohio man who claimed 'fake news', got infected, and died?

Anyway, the point is moot. Borders are going to be closed for some time yet, and it is unlikely that anyone will be insured if they do decide to travel, so only the foolish will embark on their bucket and spade holiday on a BA flight in June/July/August in that context.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
To clarify,

I am not saying anything that we would or should be able to travel later in the summer.
I am saying that if flights to these beach destinations operate, there would be people ( a minority ) who would like to fly to these beach destinations, and airlines would be willing to sell seats that they could.

By the way, the original question was related to later in the summer. Not to confused with "June" the actual title of the thread.

Plus, there would be some people who would prefer to go on holiday later this summer to avoid markups for Summer 2021. We all know that businesses ( tourism facilities ) would like to recover their losses for 2020 in 2021.
I understand. I suppose the best way to sum up what I am saying is that any planning should be short term. I don't have my crystal ball to hand, so I do not know what the future holds, but to plan a holiday for the summer now seems madness. If we reach a stage where the virus has run its course quickly (ie we don't give it a chance to hop from person to person), we'll be in a much better situation than if we pretend everything is ok.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Complete lockdown won't last much longer but social distancing and other restrictions on gathering and movement will, and these will have almost as great an effect on travel as the lockdown is. It's not a simple black-and-white issue.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For those of you experiencing issues with BA availability on ExpertFlyer, EF is aware of the problem and is working on a fix. There is a dedicated thread on the BA forum with information on a possible workaround.

The topic will be found here: ExpertFlyer error?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC

Nobody is suggesting it's going to last an eternity, just that the rate of infections and deaths reaching a peak (Subject to an inadequate testing strategy and deaths not including those outside hospitals) isn't the herald for going back to normal, that when things do genuinely improve, that the lockdown will be gradual in nature, and that bucket and spade routes to high risk countries isn't going to be deemed essential travel governments, nor viable business by airlines.

I'm sitting on a booking to Toronto towards the end of June. As much as I doubt that flight will run, I'll certainly not be on it if it does
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:13 am

I'm not obsessed with lockdown. It is driving me crazy. But I appreciate the science behind the issue and understand that the only way to prevent further spread is to prevent people from coming into contact with one another. Look at the botched way the UK and US have handled the situation. Herd immunity didn't work, and putting on the blinders that you're stronger than this virus won't either. Did you read about the Ohio man who claimed 'fake news', got infected, and died?

Anyway, the point is moot. Borders are going to be closed for some time yet, and it is unlikely that anyone will be insured if they do decide to travel, so only the foolish will embark on their bucket and spade holiday on a BA flight in June/July/August in that context.
In order to get to the point, what is your recommendation on when people should be travelling (in your opinion)? When a vaccine has been found, tested and injected into the world's population?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rossmacd
In order to get to the point, what is your recommendation on when people should be travelling (in your opinion)? When a vaccine has been found, tested and injected into the world's population?
I don't have a recommendation because I don't know when the virus will have run its course. I am completely discounting a vaccine. I will travel when borders are open, restrictions have been lightened, and I can be sure of a reasonably robust infrastructure. In other words, I will not be flying to New York today for the purpose of a mileage run, but I may fly to my vacation home in Florida at the end of the summer if I am insured, there are no government restrictions on entry, exit, and quarantine, and if the infrastructure is reasonably and sensibly intact when I get there.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
And of course as long as the FCO continues to advise against all but essential travel, the vast majority of British people won’t be insured.

Going anywhere without insurance is unwise at the best of times but right now it would, to me at least, seem foolhardy in the extreme.

Of course there’ll be many prepared to risk it for a good deal - and they’ll presumably be quick to bleat to the media when it all goes belly up and they want repatriating at the taxpayer’s expense.
I read a Which magazine article a few days ago and there are a few UK insurers that will also cover travellers for Coronovius emergency medical treatment. Of course no cover for anything else related to Coronovius such as cancellation etc. Though most won't, a few will. I think these companies mostly were stating from mid/late June.

Here's the article :

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04...ance/#insurers
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Are any companies selling new travel insurance policies atm?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Are any companies selling new travel insurance policies atm?
Yes. See the link above. I looked at Flexicover. Not sure if you can mention individual companies on here, but I got quotes from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.