Cancelled return flight

Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Cancelled return flight

Quick question, if I have flown outbound segment last year, and this may, my return flight is cancelled in CW, how much of money is returned. Is it 50% or the whole amount. I cannot find anywhere what is the refund policy, if only return flight is cancelled and half of the ticket is already used.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by felicidad76
Quick question, if I have flown outbound segment last year, and this may, my return flight is cancelled in CW, how much of money is returned. Is it 50% or the whole amount. I cannot find anywhere what is the refund policy, if only return flight is cancelled and half of the ticket is already used.

Thanks
The answer is you would get a refund of the unused tax and charges and fare for the unflown sector.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Thanks
No it's not 50% of the amount you paid. That's not how fares are constructed.

Proper government taxes and fees would be separated for the calculation.

And you would find those to be asymetric because of e.g. UK APD. You can get an idea by checking the detailed fare breakdowns for the amount you paid for your return booking against those for a separate outbound and separate inbound.

The fare element would also depend on how it was constructed in the first place. Sometimes the outbound is a lot more than the inbound.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Thanks
normally works out as not much as majority of cost normally outbound flight, with the way it's calculated. You'd be beat rebooking to another date unless obviously you ar3jt planning on doing that flight agaib
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
If you can get your receipt with the fare calculation. it should show the base fare as well as taxes & fees for each direction, as answered above. One more complication, but this is probably rare in CW, is that if your fare required a return--ticket purchase, and it were your own choice to cancel under normal non-COVID circumstances they could choose to refund only (total paid) minus (what a one-way would have cost you.)
The fact that the airline has cancelled your flight gives you a right to a cash refund, and special rules during COVID-19 strengthen your case.

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 18, 2020 at 12:42 pm Reason: Brunos's correction below!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Brendan
If you can get your receipt with the fare calculation. it should show the base fare as well as taxes & fees for each direction, as answered above. One more complication, but this is probably rare in CW, is that if your fare required a return--ticket purchase, under normal non-COVID circumstances they could refund only (total paid) minus (what a one-way would have cost you.)
If that calculation is correct you are going to owe them 1.2x the price you paid for the return ticket
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Brendan
If you can get your receipt with the fare calculation. it should show the base fare as well as taxes & fees for each direction, as answered above. One more complication, but this is probably rare in CW, is that if your fare required a return--ticket purchase, under normal non-COVID circumstances they could refund only (total paid) minus (what a one-way would have cost you.)
This would be the case if it were the OP that cancelled the return segment. If airline cancels it should either reroute you at earliest convenience or refund the segment.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
This would be the case if it were the OP that cancelled the return segment. If airline cancels it should either reroute you at earliest convenience or refund the segment.
Including on alternative carriers/routings which may include repatriation flights given the current circumstances.

Assuming the OP still wants to make the return trip this may be the most valuable option to push for rather than a partial refund.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
So true, Brunos!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
My domestic.outbound was flown. My return was cancelled by BA and no alternative offered. Ok asked for a voucher for the return. They said no. But would keep the return open ended for me and I would.be required to call them to reinstate using same PNR when I was ready. I may not ever be now ready or need to use the return sector. Hey ho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.