Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for BA-AA connection in USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Advice for BA-AA connection in USA

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice.

I’m looking at flying LHR-LAS in business in Oct and want to get into Vegas as early as possible. I’m booking on a BA ticket so I’m being offered LHR-LAX-LAS with a 3.5hr layover arriving into Vegas around 18.15 or LHR-ORD-LAS with a 2.5hr layover arriving into Vegas around 17.30.

I’ve never connected BA-AA in either ORD or LAX or indeed cleared immigration in either. Is one preferably to the other?

BA won’t offer a connection in PHX for some reason but I was considering just taking the AA flight which arrives at 12.30 and then self connecting onto an AA flight at 14.05 getting into Vegas just after 3pm. Is this doable or madness?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'd base your decision on what you'll get: LHR-LAX = business seat all that way then a 45min hop in an upright. ORD-LAS, on the other hand, is many hours in an upright 'business' seat by comparison. LAX is easy to navigate on foot no problems, also meaning you'll likely get good lounge access too.
For the sake of 45mins it's a no-brainer to arrive later, seeing as it's hardly 'late' at all.
crazyarmadillo and ShortDog like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The ATS, the people mover between T5 and the other terminals at ORD, is still out of action, though it was supposed to be back in service around now. Even with that in place, ORD isn't my favourite entry point. LAX is now quite slick, the big risk is / was delays at immigration but that is better than it used to be. Unless you can construct a better itinerary via PHL or PHX (or CLT if AA is in the frame) then LAX seems better to me than ORD. It may be you can make a tighter conneciton if booked via AA since BA.com will need a codeshare on LAX-LAS, which is a moving picture even in normal circumstances.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:10 am

Programs: M&M Silver, UA Gold, HH Dia, BW Dia Select, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Would not do the self connect in PHX. Immigration, pick up baggage, check-in, re-check baggage, go through security within 90 minutes would be more on the madness side IMHO (without baggage, maybe but still very risky plus you're not protected if the incoming flight is late).
I'd go with the 3.5 hours LAX as even 2.5h might be interesting depending how fast you go through immigration.
Would the non-stop LHR-LAS arriving 7:20 PM not be the better option, i.e. are the 2 hours you gain by connecting really worth the connect?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The self connect issue at PHX is probably due to a lack of a codeshare. A Contact Centre agent can probably construct this, or again use AA. Personally I think 90 minutes at PHX is fine, though I would be HBO and GE. It's a fairly compact and efficient airport. MCT for BA is 90 minutes, AA is 60 minutes.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:14 am

Self connecting in PHX with 1.5hrs might be cutting close. If everything is on time, you might be able to clear customs and immigration. If your flight into PHX is a few min late, you might not make it. May be LAX might be a better option like the previous poster mentioned.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:21 am
Original Member

I believe that if you were to route via JFK you would get quite a few extra tier points thanks the the JFK - LAS leg distance, just incase this is a factor for you.

Last edited by Tim_T; Apr 15, 2020 at 3:29 am
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:27 am

The earliest you can get to LAS from LHR is indeed via PHX - you can certainly get the AA LHR-PHX and PHX-LAS (arrival 15:17) on one ticket.

If BA are not offering that, why not book with AA? (Unless of course you are using some form of BA currency/voucher)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fly a day when there's LGW-LAS gets you there around 1pm ?

Everytime I've tried to beat the BA275 arrival of 19.30ish my connection etc has been late and I've arrived after!

Alternatively, if it's maximising LAS time and minimising annual leave (a regular pastime of mine ) - fly the very late flight LHR-NYC, cheap airport hotel - first flight JFK-LAS next morning - arriving around 10am
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
The last time I connected through PHX to LAS it took all of 30 mins to be back airside. This included collecting bags and re checking. That said we were first off the plane in PHX and the place was unusually empty. We had no time pressures and everything ran very smooth, it probably isnt a great data point but I would be absolutely fine with 90 minutes to connect in PHX. It is a short hop from PHX to LAS.
I wouldnt go the CLT route because the flight is too long and ORD is about 2-2.5 hours.
LAX, the last time i used it seemed to be a different planet from what it was three or four years ago. I think they have made great improvements in the the place.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:08 am
Original Poster

I can’t book the ticket via AA as I want to book it as part of a BA Hol, hence the issue with the PHX connection.

The overnight in JFK is an option but it books you into Y on the early JFK-LAS which doesn’t really appeal.

I’d prefer to avoid the direct LHR-LAS on an ancient mid J 744 (but that may be less likely come Oct) and last time I took it, immigration took over an hour so it was 8.45 when I got airside versus a if I took a domestic hop that’ll be included in the connection

So based on everything above & your advice, LAX seems best option.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:10 am

I've only connected in ORD once - United to United Express. And frankly, I'd never do it again. I was an extra 20minutes in immigration secondary (I was joining a ship in MSY so ORD had to do the immigration checks on my visa and were insisting my ship wasn't in port there, which it wasn't, because it was in MSY....) And even with the people mover it was a sprint across the airport.

So if you can avoid ORD, I would.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd book the BA Hols then using the outbound AA to PHX and buy the internal on Avios / cash - assuming your own risk and not taking luggage
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I'd still go lax. But phx is a good airport and you should be protected if separate ticket with aa, by AA, to Las, as long as within mct.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: BA GGL
Or book BA Hol to LAX, including a car, then drive to LAS. It's about 3.5hrs (ish) and rather pleasant to see the nice in-between landscape (more impressive than either city IMO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.