How many here are still flying regularly?

Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I must say, I'm getting comfortable staying at home.
Crampedin13A and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:46 pm

I normally fly every week, but have now been grounded since the 14th of March. Have to say, it's been a nice break and good to not be on the road for a while. Get to have some me time and take care of myself.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I must say, I'm getting comfortable staying at home.
I must say, l’m getting heavier staying at home.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I must say, l’m getting heavier staying at home.
I must say my bank balance is looking healthier!
SKT-DK and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The only people who "need" to fly right now are pilots and people going back home still.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I must say my bank balance is looking healthier!
likewise. the liver is healing up after drinking 90% of the time when I was traveling for 4 months, not had a sip of alcohol in exactly one month- getting overserved in WTP on my return flight home.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:37 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My humblebrag is that I had absolutely nothing booked and thus haven't needed to fight for any refunds, or worry about vouchers. I had extensive travel plans from April to August which were meant to be booked during February. But procrastination delayed booking until mid-March, by when it had become evident that things were going to get worse. I was still hoping I could go on my first trip, but didn't want to book anything until a day or two before, and obviously by the time that came around everything had closed down.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by TheDinge
I am moving to the US in a few months.
Let's hope that's still happening. The latest I read is that they now claim that borders won't be open again until September at the earliest - so can you get in?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:44 am

Nobody I know is flying anymore.

I’ve lost a work trip to Russia at the end of April which has demonstrated how much easier Finnair has made changing bookings than BA.

After really slogging through short haul flights to keep silver until November last year and then basically renewing it in one exhausting trip to China in December 2019, I’d been looking forward to a much more leisurely year enjoying travel with friends and my partner and seeing new places in 2020.

I’ve Just lost a trip to Nice for a stag do in May (much more sadly the wedding has also been cancelled in June).

I’m about to preemptively change our Ljubljana booking for May 31st to late July in the hope that it is more likely to happen then.

Got our main summer holiday to Croatia in the last week of June, which I hold very little hope for, especially as the outbound is from Gatwick, which I’m assuming is going to be slower than LHR to start up again.

First weekend of July is the first trip I hold some hope of happening, which is Bucharest for a stag do I’ve organised. Ł211 each for flights and twin rooms in the Novotel for 3 nights like a steal for 10 people and 30
tps (via ba holidays)

I had wanted to book something big for my 30th in September, involving the 747 upper deck, but putting that on hold and until things become more clear.

I’ve got Moscow and Frankfurt booked in September with work, which I’m assuming will happen and maybe get me to gold for the first time if the thresholds are reduced.

One positive I’ve noticed is more competitive POUGS and avios upgrade availability than usual on all my future bookings.

I’m also that mug who’s exchanged and paid the deposit, but not completed on a new flat, but they can’t complete the final finish or certify the building at the moment due to the virus - so I’m now living in my childhood bedroom indefinitely!

All in all pretty rubbish, but I’m aware many people have lost a lot more than myself so far this year!

Last edited by Joshm300; Apr 13, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Joshm300
I’m also that mug who’s exchanged and paid the deposit, but not completed on a new flat, but they can’t complete the final finish to or certify the building at the moment due to the virus - so I’m now living in my childhood bedroom.
I think there will be quite a few people who are now essentially homeless. My rental contract expired a few weeks ago and I was planning to stay in Airbnbs for a few months until I buy somewhere in August/September. I'm now homeless and have been staying in my sister's tiny spare room as an interim measure. There is no possibility to get a short term rental and hotels and now Airbnb are closed to the general public unless you're a key worker.

It really is a rubbish time not to have a home and I wish homeless people were given some kind of dispensation to at least use Airbnb. I am hoping hotels and Airbnb will be available again at the end of May.
EuropeanPete and Joshm300 like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Apr 13, 2020 at 12:39 pm
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Took my last flight on 29 March (RQ, not BA) after having been locked down for 10 days. About five days later started showing symptons of COVID 19. They were very mild and quickly passed. Not in a hurry to jump on a plane as I am sure if it was COVID, I caught it onboard.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Let's hope that's still happening. The latest I read is that they now claim that borders won't be open again until September at the earliest - so can you get in?
Where did you read this?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I ask myself that too. I have stopped reading the relavent news and going to just roll the die - anything now is probably still too speculative. I will have quitted my job already and I can't see what alternatives I have.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by groenroos
I'm in the same boat, except it was going to be our first-ever time getting Gold... now instead of getting stuck into an authentic lasagne on the beaches of Catania, I'm heating a Tesco lasagna in the oven in Cambridge while listening to the "your call is important to us" chap on the refund line apparently get an email notification chime in the middle of recording it and they just... left it in, apparently.
How funny, I too was meant to be in Catania this weekend and I too live in Cambridge! I am not however eating lasagne!
squawk and groenroos like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You won't be surprised to hear as I have no status to keep I've been and still am in no rush to go anywhere....pretty much impossible here anyway.

I do know someone back in the UK, a very infrequent flyer, who had a holiday of a lifetime booked which has had to be cancelled. As they're getting on in years I doubt they will rebook it for another time. Knowing how much they were looking forward to it it's people like that I really feel sorry for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.