Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Austrian man builds 1:6 R/C Concorde...and it flies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian man builds 1:6 R/C Concorde...and it flies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by alex67500
His exclamation when it lands
"Leck mich am arsch"
For those of you who don’t speak German... that means ‘Well I never’ ... !!! 😉 😂 😂 😂
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
I love YouTubes of the big RC jets - a) they are adorable and b) I can appreciate the time/cost/skill to put one of these things together and then actually fly it. Any word on how long it took to build this?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:22 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I did notice that the wing shape on this model is a bit flatter and simpler than the real thing. Having been up close and personal with the real thing many times, the nuances of that delta wing are just beautiful.
That wing shape complexity was all done in the early 1960s too, before modern computing (most computing back then was analogue) which makes the complex shape even more of a marvel....they even managed to harness the spinning wingtip vortice for extra lift at low speed. The superior wing geometry and use of non-reheat engines for supersonic cruise were the two main reasons Concorde was a technical success and the TU144 was not at all.
Irreverent Medusa likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I must admit that the first time I heard of an ogival delta, it was in relation to Concorde’s wing.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Come on chaps, we are British
Speak for yourself, and AF livery looks like the perfect choice to me
Oh and chapess, please...
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BOH
That wing shape complexity was all done in the early 1960s too, before modern computing (most computing back then was analogue) which makes the complex shape even more of a marvel....they even managed to harness the spinning wingtip vortice for extra lift at low speed. The superior wing geometry and use of non-reheat engines for supersonic cruise were the two main reasons Concorde was a technical success and the TU144 was not at all.
Also the DGSI (French version of MI5) found out that there was a leak from the project in France. They worked out who it was and decided to sabotage their Russian competition. Supposedly they then only allowed the leaker access to doctored (and therefore useless at best dangerous at worst) plans and materials. Then when enough damage had been done to the USSR effort arrested everyone involved.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Irreverent

In law, man embraces woman.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley
Any word on how long it took to build this?
I believe it mentions 1 year for CAD & drawing, and 2 years of building (although actual hours invested wasn't mentioned).
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I presume the Air France livery is to keep it authentic if he crashed it on the maiden flight.

He should get cracking on the variable geometry intakes and military power, imagine doing a supersonic flyby with it! Even if petty things like the law might mean travelling to a less strict country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.