Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: From our family to yours - Regards, A.Cruz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19: From our family to yours - Regards, A.Cruz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Haha, just read this e-mail and came on here to moan about the pointless, vacuous waste of energy that it represents... but I see I’m not the first!

Seriously, ... does BA’s comms team think it’s doing? No detail on anything, complete failure to even reference the difficulty in getting cash refunds, or even to say that they are considering impact on membership requalification. Are they trying to pee people off?!?!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:46 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
When I read the title, I got excited thinking that the shiny cards of the entire family had been extended for a year (or even two), that they were sending Easter eggs for the boys and a case of LPGS for me from the unused CCR stock...
Cris L and 20Rothmans like this.

Last edited by Jed; Apr 10, 2020 at 12:37 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:52 pm

Isn’t an apostrophe s missing in that first paragraph?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I understand I’m the OP and I understand that I should be balanced with my thoughts as FT is a remarkable place with some incredible insight, knowledge, advice, tips, ...nuances, lovely camaraderie and let’s not miss out some great puns, jokes, funny bits of flying with BA from great members whom (a few) I have met in person and many I haven’t (yet).

However, firstly I (ok we all were) was hoping for a photo of Alex in a hi-viz jacket (wow, I’ve been longing for that since the first grounded flight!!).

But in all seriousness I was genuinely hoping that there were, or was at least one, action(s) in this email as I continued to read.

I was hoping that this was THE email to sooth, reassure and provide BAEC members (any passengers) that your custom is invaluable, therefore we have decided to...X...Y...Z or at least X. Okay, okay it’s BA so maybe just \

Then I was getting very excited as I was coming to the end of the email hoping that...this was the moment... this was it, Snr Cruz was about to unveil remarkable customer service recovery points.

Sadly as I kept reading, even with with my poor structure, grammar in English, I wanted to go back and check that I hadn’t missed the point. I hadn’t.
There wasn’t really a point. Only mumbled mush.

To me...It was a poor standby best mans speech, filling in at a wedding (if that exists). It wanted to be empathic, considerate and hoping for a standing ovation but really, in my own unbalanced opinion, it felt like the microphone echoed its feedback awkwardly around a silent room full of people, with just one person offering a slow clap in the very far background.

(Sorry if you don’t feel the same.)

Alex (if you ever read this!!) you’d have so many opportunities to come forward in the last month and reassure, properly help and make your customers feel better but if this is all you have, you’ve really disappointed me and I’m sure many, many other passengers.

and please, please, please delete or edit this line...”but we do know that when our aircraft are cleared for take-off once again, it will be epic”

James91 likes this.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Apr 9, 2020 at 3:27 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

and please, please, please delete or edit this line...”but we do know that when our aircraft are cleared for take-off once again, it will be epic”

If he had repeated epic it would have sounded like another more powerful soulless individual
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:23 pm

Far too little and far too late.

Last edited by northeastflyer; Apr 9, 2020 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I’d like to say what I’ve learnt is how cynical many of the usual suspects are on here, but sadly it doesn’t come as a surprise.
cbagent likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Earlier this evening I received an email from the President & CEO of Marriott International (Arne Sorenson). A good number of my fellow FT-ers will have seen the same email, no doubt.

Clearly this is not the place to reproduce its full text, but the letter is a detailed one ; and is very specific in terms of the many changes that are being made by the company’s senior management, including charitable & community-related activity, as it talks about “the dramatic impact of COVID-19 on our business”.

By way of contrast with the letter penned by Alex Cruz, the Marriott CEO devotes around six chunky paragraphs to two sections, headed “For our Customers” and “For our Marriott Bonvoy Members”. The latter gives full updates on the matter of (very generous) status extensions ; and additional flexibility for points redemption.

As I say ...... quite a contrast.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Word salad fluff nonsense. Why bother.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
I’d like to say what I’ve learnt is how cynical many of the usual suspects are on here, but sadly it doesn’t come as a surprise.
And would you regard yourself as one of these “usual suspects”, by any chance .... ??

Or is it perhaps a pejorative term that you have decided to apply only to others of your choosing ?
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by navylad
Are you referring to my post or many others, including me?

I’d happily give BA credit where it is due. I have always had a soft spot for BA crew and it’s desire to be somewhat better when delivering comforting service. They have brilliant crew at times. Sometimes they have very British crew but I think most airlines have their underlying own nationality/culture shine through. It’s part of life which makes us all individuals and interesting

BA have a nice spot in my heart for travelling and great memories, more so than any other airline. However, sadly decisions in recent years have left me with a slight bitter taste and I think that’s clear for most to see, not just the few FT’ers. Hence maybe the cynicism.

I’m open to that changing and felt it was changing in the last 18 months-2 years but this has shown their true colours. I‘m a balanced, yet passionate individual when it comes to service levels, I know we all have off days/moments. BA have been slow (social media wise) and difficult for BAEC members as well challenging for refund customers.

I hope BA has better moments than they are in their response to this. I hope BA stick around and learn from this. All cynicism aside.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by subject2load
And would you regard yourself as one of these “usual suspects”, by any chance .... ??

Or is it perhaps a pejorative term that you have decided to apply only to others of your choosing ?
on this occasion, jsut those who spend their days making multiple posts to criticise everything that BA do such as choosing to focus on whether the email said grounded or touched down. I’m all for having difference of opinion and trying to understand why others have reached that view, but I’m struggling to see the purpose here if I’m being honest. .

Are you referring to my post or many others, including me?

I’d happily give BA credit where it is due. I have always had a soft spot for BA crew and it’s desire to be somewhat better when delivering comforting service. They have brilliant crew at times. Sometimes they have very British crew but I think most airlines have their underlying own nationality/culture shine through. It’s part of life which makes us all individuals and interesting

BA have a nice spot in my heart for travelling and great memories, more so than any other airline. However, sadly decisions in recent years have left me with a slight bitter taste and I think that’s clear for most to see, not just the few FT’ers. Hence maybe the cynicism.

I’m open to that changing and felt it was changing in the last 18 months-2 years but this has shown their true colours. I‘m a balanced, yet passionate individual when it comes to service levels, I know we all have off days/moments. BA have been slow (social media wise) and difficult for BAEC members as well challenging for refund customers.

I hope BA has better moments than they are in their response to this. I hope BA stick around and learn from this. All cynicism aside.
No, admittedly I hadn’t read your post before I posted, but have gone back and done so following your comment, and I think it was pretty fair, I think many people were probably hoping for something substantial when opening the email, some clarity in the EC offer this year for all for example.
rockflyertalk and SHT88T like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:19 pm

The NHS thing - they rushed it out because easyJet and Virgin had done it the week before.
The letter - stolen from every CEO.
The video - stolen from Emirates.

Am I the only one who wishes that they were able to do something original, or imaginative, or clever...?

(That said, I don’t find the email as bad as others have said. It’s not all bad... I like the way they brought in the ‘to fly, to serve’ and family bits. And I do like the video, it’ll go down well outside FT circles. I just wish they were a bit more creative.)
Telecasterman and navylad like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:37 pm

I’m open to that changing and felt it was changing in the last 18 months-2 years but this has shown their true colours.

No need to re-quote your entire post, but suffice to say that many BA customers - both here on FT, or in the wider world - will relate to your words above and to your honestly-expressed overall perspective.

And, like you, I too would like to think there are better, more constructive and more meaningful, things to come from BA‘s management - and, specifically, from their leader.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My wife read it and thought it was rather nice.
Unfortunately my (husband/wife/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend/good friend/FWB/f**k buddy/random s**g) deflated before I could ask their opinion. I shall mull it over whilst enjoying a Camel Light (I knew how to smoke back in the day!)

There’s a line you say? Where be damned is that? 🤔

HIDDY: No offence intended at all, and I hope not taken.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.