Ba connecting flights

Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Ba connecting flights

I’m being optimistic and looking for flights for early next year

I’m needing to get to Tampa but I have found a very good price for an indirect price to Miami then connecting on to Tampa

Now I would actually be happy to get off at Miami and have a night in Miami then drive accross to My final destination the next day

Is this allowed will I be punished for no show on the connection
and any luggage issues with this

have checked the just miami price and it’s double the connecting cost !!! ...

Thank you
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by VODKASUNTAN
Is this allowed will I be punished for no show on the connection
As soon as you no-show, the rest of your itinerary wll be cancelled.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
If this is a one-way ticket then there will be no consequence of dropping the last leg.
If you have further sectors (e.g. a return ticket) then the rest of your ticket will be cancelled.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The term for what you're describing is known as hidden city ticketing.

Now we'll probably need some more information from you, particularly including the route.

If this is booked as a return then you can't do this because as soon as you miss the MIA-TPA leg the rest of your ticket will be cancelled, and you will likely be left buying a very expensive single ticket to get home (particularly on an international itinerary).

If booked as a single with an international origin:
- you would have to pick up luggage at Miami anyway, so this isn't an issue.

If booked as a single with a USA domestic origin:
- AA would check your luggage through
- they are notorious for tracking hidden city itineraries
- your luggage would likely end up in Tampa anyway because US carriers allow luggage to travel without the passenger, at which point it's really difficult to know what would happen to it until you arrived the next day

Combined, these actions would certainly alert AA. Would they charge you the extra for a first time? Probably not. Could anyone guarantee that, particularly given their need for funds? Nope.

So in short - this probably isn't a good idea.

Have you considered pricing with a <24 hour stopover in Miami? This may not increase the fare much at all.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I don't understand, but if you need to get to Tampa and the indirect flight is to Tampa, what is the problem (or do you just want a night in Miami)? As others have said, as soon as you don't get on the flight to TPA, the rest of the ticket is auto-cancelled.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Friends in Miami so could have made a quick visit ...

Ok thank you all for the advice this is a no go then as would be a return ticket

Cheers
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
You can make the connecting flight MIA-TPA the next day and still have the cheap price for the TPA destination plus have the night in MIA to visit your friends (up to 24 hours in MIA).
Joeykins likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The term for what you're describing is known as hidden city ticketing.

Now we'll probably need some more information from you, particularly including the route.

If this is booked as a return then you can't do this because as soon as you miss the MIA-TPA leg the rest of your ticket will be cancelled, and you will likely be left buying a very expensive single ticket to get home (particularly on an international itinerary).

If booked as a single with an international origin:
- you would have to pick up luggage at Miami anyway, so this isn't an issue.

If booked as a single with a USA domestic origin:
- AA would check your luggage through
- they are notorious for tracking hidden city itineraries
- your luggage would likely end up in Tampa anyway because US carriers allow luggage to travel without the passenger, at which point it's really difficult to know what would happen to it until you arrived the next day

Combined, these actions would certainly alert AA. Would they charge you the extra for a first time? Probably not. Could anyone guarantee that, particularly given their need for funds? Nope.

So in short - this probably isn't a good idea.

Have you considered pricing with a <24 hour stopover in Miami? This may not increase the fare much at all.
1. If you do this, while your bags will be tagegd through to TPA, you will nonetheless claim them at MIA, carry them through CBP and then drop them with AA post Customs. If you choose not to fly the onwards segment, you simply depart MIA with your bags for your friend's house.

2. As this is a connection, you have up to 24 hours in MIA. While the pricing may be a bit different depending on the flights, you could simply book your connection for as long as 23:59 and have time in MIA.

There is absolutely no way to rely on any scheduling that far out. The situation is fluid. Whether BA/AA serve MIA or TPA on any given day and with what frequencies will not be known for some time.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just build in a night in MIA for free using multi city tool and ensure the break is under 24hrs. Will still get the TPA cost and a "free" night in MIA. It's actually a handy way to avoid Gatwick if Heathrow is easier, and you can also get upper deck 747 if that's any consideration

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.