Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged Suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Damaged Suitcase

I recently returned from LAX in BA F with a damaged Samsonite hard case - it has 3 serious cracks in it.

BA referred me to K2 Global.

I paid £380 for it 2 years ago and can prove the purchase by a credit card bill. I bought this particular model because it weighed only 2.5kg.

K2 have offered various replacements but I’m not happy with any of them as they all weigh nearer 4kg and sort of defeats the purpose of why I bought it in the first place.

They say the depreciated value of it is £242. Have asked for a credit note to buy another at an outlet but they won’t allow that either.

should I just settle for their proposal? Is there any point in going back to BA about it?

tks
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Sorry about the damage, I know how frustrating/annoying that can be.

This thread may give you some answers Best way to sort replacement bag with K2 Global?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are due the fair market value of your case as it apparently cannot be repaired. £242 FMV for a 2-year old £380 case is exceedingly generous and includes what amounts to a substantial goodwill payment. You could ask BA, but I suspect that it sings off the same sheet of music.

If your travel insurance covers replacement cost -- which some high-end policies do -- you might look there. But, otherwise the question is whether a reasonable person would pay £242 for a 2-year old case in undamaged condition.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
For a 2-year old suitcase that originally cost £380, then yes, I would definitely settle for £242.

Not many travel insurance policies would offer new-for-old, but do check to see if you have such coverage, and if so, I would recommend liaising with the insurers to determine the best course of action, bearing in mind any excess you may need to pay.
AAtticus, LucyK1806 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Suitcases usually last me about 2 years, so I probably would not have even claimed in your situation.

The offer sounds very generous to me and I would accept immediately.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:31 am

Take the cash and buy another from somewhere like Kofferdirect (I don't have any connection with them other than having bought cases from them). If you pay in advance by transfer then you save another 5%. No idea what model you had, but you could get a 2.5kg 69cm C-lite (Cosmolite) for €310, so not that far off the cash once converted to pounds.
LucyK1806 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

should have added that the £242 is the depreciated value, not what they will necessarily give me in cash. Have asked the question.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If that is the depreciation value that that is what they should be offering you.

if K2 haven’t offered an alternative that is acceptable for you? They do usually allow a voucher for use by the manufacturers website to the value (usually this is the value quoted rather than a depreciation value and usually this is lightly more than the actual cash value). So I’m surprised your saying they won’t allow this, I wonder if this policy has changed Emilie if there is some miscommunication.

To be clear thought they don’t allow sale prices for use of the voucher (since this is a restriction on how they get their vouchers cheaper), so you can often get a better suitcase by asking for a cash settlement even though this value will usually be less.

You can always ask for a cash settlement, this is usually less than the voucher value that is usually quoted, but would be the actual depreciation value, so if you have that in writing that would be very useful in your claim.
LucyK1806 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Are you able to find the bag you want online? If so, tell them the model you want, offer to pay the difference if necessary. That's what they did for us but they didn't charge the extra.
LucyK1806 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
Thanks all.

should have added that the £242 is the depreciated value, not what they will necessarily give me in cash. Have asked the question.
They should be offering you the depreciated value in cash (which is the point of calculating the depreciated value).
LucyK1806 and simonsmith like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

the only models I am interested in are Lite Shock (this is my case albeit an older model) priced stars £375 or Cosmolite at £429. Solely based on their weight. - 2.5kg

the ones they have offered are 3.9kg - 4.6kg. Not all of my travels are in the pointy end so I have to make every KG count 😵.

Have asked for a cash settlement and I will buy one from an outlet.
golfmad likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Suitcases usually last me about 2 years, so I probably would not have even claimed in your situation.

The offer sounds very generous to me and I would accept immediately.
Two years? What do you do with them? My main check-in suitcases are Samsonite 'oyster' suitcases at least 15 years old. They are not sexy but robust as heck. They have travelled several million miles and still suit their purpose perfectly. My carry-on (although it too gets checked sometimes) is a Tumi roller, also about 15 year old and similarly in shape.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
Thanks everyone.

the only models I am interested in are Lite Shock (this is my case albeit an older model) priced stars £375 or Cosmolite at £429. Solely based on their weight. - 2.5kg

the ones they have offered are 3.9kg - 4.6kg. Not all of my travels are in the pointy end so I have to make every KG count 😵.

Have asked for a cash settlement and I will buy one from an outlet.
When I was dealing with K2 at the beginning of the year, they explained that if you can provide proof of purchase then they will take off 20% per year for depreciation and that is the cash value that they can give you. A little bit (but not much) more info here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31976316-post18.html
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Two years? What do you do with them? My main check-in suitcases are Samsonite 'oyster' suitcases at least 15 years old. They are not sexy but robust as heck. They have travelled several million miles and still suit their purpose perfectly. My carry-on (although it too gets checked sometimes) is a Tumi roller, also about 15 year old and similarly in shape.
Fair question- in my experience the modern spinner style cases are lighter and much more convenient than oyster style, but yes much less robust if checked in. 40 or 50 sectors (which is about 2 years for me) max.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Two years? What do you do with them? My main check-in suitcases are Samsonite 'oyster' suitcases at least 15 years old. They are not sexy but robust as heck.
Mine are 30 y.o. but a rabbit chewed at the wheels and spares are very expensive. The elastic's like a 90 year old's knickers. But they work.
I can see why light suitcases are preferred, and have wondered what happens if a new one is damaged. Now I know. With that 20% depreciation p.a. I'd probably have to pay them if my Oyster broke.

Commiserations to the OP. You shouldn't have to deal with this after an F flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.