FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   3 of 4 flts canceled. Options? , and... "technical difficulties with call center" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2015163-3-4-flts-canceled-options-technical-difficulties-call-center.html)

MareLuce Apr 5, 2020 7:36 pm

3 of 4 flts canceled. Options? , and... "technical difficulties with call center"

Received an email that 3 of my 4 flights Austin to London have been canceled. (pic below)
I have been trying to get through to BA First to request a refund.
However, their current message is that "We are currently unable to answer your call due to technical difficulties at one of our call centers"

Trying to cancel with refund via the BA website "Manage my Bookings" just sends me in a circular path to "Contact us." (or am I missing something?)
There is no clear button to press that accomplishes "Cancel and Refund me"

Question: About the 3'rd segment (LHR to JFK) highlighted below that remains not canceled - Will I be able to get a refund for that segment?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8b5ae4a9a8.png

jerry a. laska Apr 5, 2020 7:41 pm

As one or more of the flights in your booking have been canceled, you are entitled to a refund. You do not need to do anything at the moment but you will need to call to obtain the refund.
You can review the Covid-19 advice thread here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...on-etc-91.html

MareLuce Apr 5, 2020 8:03 pm

Thank you Jerry.

[ tangent ] I visited your location Juneau Alaska last August and LOVED it. Have same cruise booked for last week in August. I anticipate all will be canceled but hope not.

Chris_G Apr 5, 2020 8:20 pm

Good luck with getting through to a call centre...I gave up and took the voucher, which is what BA are deliberately making us do

Chris

UKtravelbear Apr 5, 2020 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_G (Post 32267873)
Good luck with getting through to a call centre...I gave up and took the voucher, which is what BA are deliberately making us do

Chris

really? When did you call as call volumes have dropped markedly in the last week or so.

I’ve had to call twice (silver line) in the last week and got through in minutes to an operator to cancel some flights, no pressure to take a voucher either.

I also had to call AA yesterday (general UK number) To cancel some flights after a schedule change for May and again call answered very quickly and refund process initiated.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 6, 2020 12:29 am

Because the India call centres are closed, there is currently no YouFirst service during the UK night time, the OP is best to call during the USA mornings to get through, I would not anticipate a long wait. But yes, it's not urgent, the OP has 4 years to claim their refund given the first sector is cancelled. Full details in the main thread linked by Jerry.

CharlotteC Apr 6, 2020 12:50 am

I have found sending a message via Twitter has been very helpful even if the cancelled flight is more than 72 hours away if you are keen to rebook; although they can’t do much about refunds

Often1 Apr 6, 2020 6:17 am

OP asks whether he may obtain a refund.

Simply call the US #, put the phone on speaker + mute and multi-task. It should not take long in any event. Make it clear that you wish to cancel for a refund and that ought to take care of it.

Both EC 261/2004 and US DOT rules require that refunds be processed within 7 days. Thus, on the 8th day, if you have not received notice that your refund is forthcoming, you should initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

jerry a. laska Apr 6, 2020 11:29 am

Originally Posted by MareLuce (Post 32267843)
Thank you Jerry.

[ tangent ] I visited your location Juneau Alaska last August and LOVED it. Have same cruise booked for last week in August. I anticipate all will be canceled but hope not.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. From the latest reports I've seen, it appears the cruise ship season still has a tentative start date of 1 July, although it is expected that this date will be further delayed or the whole season canceled. That will make for a quiet summer here in Juneau, hopefully the weather and coronavirus will cooperate if that occurs and we will be able to get outside and enjoy it.

MareLuce Apr 6, 2020 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32268307)
Because the India call centres are closed, there is currently no YouFirst service during the UK night time,

Aha. That must have been what happened when I called yesterday afternoon.

the OP is best to call during the USA mornings to get through, I would not anticipate a long wait.

Yes and Yes! Called this morning. Answered within 1 minute. Agent asked, "Would you like a refund?" before I even mentioned the refund word.

But yes, it's not urgent, the OP has 4 years to claim their refund given the first sector is cancelled. Full details in the main thread linked by Jerry.

WOW. Much longer than I expected. I was re-reading the cancellation email to try to figure out how long I had to get through to request the refund.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32268811)
Both EC 261/2004 and US DOT rules require that refunds be processed within 7 days. Thus, on the 8th day, if you have not received notice that your refund is forthcoming, you should initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

When the agent did not quote an ETA on the refund, I asked. She said currently refunds were taking 14 days...

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 32269777)
Glad you enjoyed your visit. From the latest reports I've seen, it appears the cruise ship season still has a tentative start date of 1 July, although it is expected that this date will be further delayed or the whole season canceled. That will make for a quiet summer here in Juneau, hopefully the weather and coronavirus will cooperate if that occurs and we will be able to get outside and enjoy it.

That is just going to be crushing for all the hardworking and talented people I met in each of the Alaska coastal towns last summer. :-(. Of course, better to be well.

OddJobMan Apr 6, 2020 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32267895)
really? When did you call as call volumes have dropped markedly in the last week or so.

I’ve had to call twice (silver line) in the last week and got through in minutes to an operator to cancel some flights, no pressure to take a voucher either.

I also had to call AA yesterday (general UK number) To cancel some flights after a schedule change for May and again call answered very quickly and refund process initiated.

It must be luck of the draw. I called this morning on both the silver line and the number on the website and just got PET (permanent engaged tone).