Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holidays - Cabin Upgrade pricing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

BA Holidays - Cabin Upgrade pricing

Hello,

First post here so I apologise if this is a common question or one well known to many members here.

I've booked directly on BA.com flights and hotel, thus a holiday, and I'm interested in the cost of upgrading from WT+ to CW in both cash and with Avios.
I've tried to use MMB but it tells me I can't make changes online and I need to call. I called the dedicated holiday number and it referred me to the main number. The advice is only to call if you're travelling within 72hrs so I tried to email - I figured it's not urgent and they could get back to me when they could. Got an automated reply telling me I have to call because it's booked as a holiday.

So, how do I go about getting these quotes? I'm not travelling until Mar2021 (fingers crossed, touch wood etc)

The quote online when I booked was several thousand pounds difference, but I'm lead to believe that using Avios points can be cheaper, even if I have to buy them.

Any help or advice appreciated

Only chose WT+ at booking as it was only circa £125pp each way. Having not travelled with BA for a while I was slightly dismayed at the cost of seat selection in an upgraded cabin..! But that's another thread

Thanks
Keiran
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You do need to talk to BA Holidays, during their working hours, only they can touch the ticket. They can quote fare upgrades and Upgrade using Avios. Their working hours a bit more restricted than the main number. You can get a view of the UuA cost by using BA.com normal Avios redemption process - just do a dummy booking in CW on the flight and dates in question to check availability, then do the same, ideally for the same date, in WTP, subtract one from the other and that's roughtly what you would have to pay BA Holidays. I think the message of only calling for travel in the next 72 hours is abandoned, or about to be abandoned, either way ring mid morning on Monday and hopefully someone can help. If you are in the BA Holidays queue for over 30 minutes then probably best to call the next day.

Welcome to Flyertalk Keiran Newberry, and welcome to the BA forum.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello. I’m sure you will get the official welcome soon.

Thanks for joining and asking.

Holiday bookings aren’t easy to upgrade online if at all. You will probably have to call but I think that will be nearer the time or at least when the T-72 hour policy changes.

Edit: PS Follow CWS advice above!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both for the reply.

Seems counter-productive to not allow changes online to a booking made direct online - I'm used to Virgin of late where you can only upgrade online IF you've booked direct.

I shall attempt to call this week, I'll keep an eye on the 72hr advice.

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
Thanks both for the reply.

Seems counter-productive to not allow changes online to a booking made direct online - I'm used to Virgin of late where you can only upgrade online IF you've booked direct.

I shall attempt to call this week, I'll keep an eye on the 72hr advice.

Thanks
For whatever reason adding a car or hotel to a booking, therefore it becomes a BA holiday, online changes become more restrictive. Others may shed light on why. But a direct booking is good if just a flight, you can normally change, upgrade etc flight only quite easily but add a car and the booking is normally better off dealt with through calling up.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
I tried this a while ago for a family holiday to Mexico, 8 of us travelling, as you say had to call. Total for us all to be upgraded from WT+ to CW outbound was £5644 not helped with a domestic leg that also had to be upgraded. Did not take up the offer.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Just to point out that that many (if not all[?]) BA holidays bookings do not attract an upgrade fee whereas standard flight bookings do. This means that the fare upgrade can often be more palatable than it would be otherwise, especially for a larger group/family.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Exec
If all else fails you can still enquire at the airport on the day for airport upgrade availability - although I realise some would prefer to have the peace of mind of having a confirmed seat in their chosen cabin before travel!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
I tried this a while ago for a family holiday to Mexico, 8 of us travelling, as you say had to call. Total for us all to be upgraded from WT+ to CW outbound was £5644 not helped with a domestic leg that also had to be upgraded. Did not take up the offer.
Do domestic legs have to be upgraded? I'm not bothered about the domestic leg of my trip (MAN-LHR-JFK outbound and EWR-LHR-MAN inbound) as it's only an hour. Is the 0625 MAN-LHR especially busy on a Monday? Think it's BA1371

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Just to point out that that many (if not all[?]) BA holidays bookings do not attract an upgrade fee whereas standard flight bookings do. This means that the fare upgrade can often be more palatable than it would be otherwise, especially for a larger group/family.
Might make it more attractive then

Originally Posted by Bar Operator
If all else fails you can still enquire at the airport on the day for airport upgrade availability - although I realise some would prefer to have the peace of mind of having a confirmed seat in their chosen cabin before travel!
I could do if all else fails I suppose. I guess if they quote me over the phone and it's too much, I can always chance my arm at the airport in a zero to lose situation
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Do domestic legs have to be upgraded? I'm not bothered about the domestic leg of my trip (MAN-LHR-JFK outbound and EWR-LHR-MAN inbound) as it's only an hour. Is the 0625 MAN-LHR especially busy on a Monday? Think it's BA1371

I could do if all else fails I suppose. I guess if they quote me over the phone and it's too much, I can always chance my arm at the airport in a zero to lose situation
Whether or not the domestic leg has to be upgraded depends on the fares available at the time of enquiring about the upgrade. When I have called about upgrading, they have often tried to make me upgrade the whole outbound (or inbound) journey instead of just the one leg that I wanted. When they looked into upgrading just the leg of the journey it actually came out to be more than the entire outbound leg. So it all depends on the fares available at the time of enquiring.

It is worth noting that the cost of the upgrade will just be the difference between the price that you paid and the current price for the routing, so as current prices change, so does the upgrade price. You may wish to set a price alert on Google Flights and if it drops low enough to give an attractive upgrade price, then give BA holidays a call.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:20 am

Might make it more attractive then

Whilst it’s leaving it to the very last minute, you might want to go for an AUP (airport upgrade) once landing at LHR from MAN. JFK cabin availability is normal one of the better services as there was so many. Clearly times have changed and this could also change again. There’s a customer service desk airside, before you go down to the transit trains and next to Pret. Have a look at the thread for more info and examples of cost;

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2020 thread
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve upgraded with Avios on a BA holiday from J to F you just call.

other times in a Europe I’ve had upgrade offers on MMB and at online check in and I’ve asked at the check in desk before and upgraded there.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. The 72hr advice is still in place, are they going to be unhappy if I called today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.