Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holiday - Hotel has gone out of business

Old Apr 2, 20, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat

I have a BA Holiday booked for later this year, and have just been notified (not by BA) that the hotel has gone out of business.

The trip isn't until later in the year, so I don't want to clog the lines by calling BA about it now, but what do they usually do in these circumstances?
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ajbrowc View Post
I have a BA Holiday booked for later this year, and have just been notified (not by BA) that the hotel has gone out of business.

The trip isn't until later in the year, so I don't want to clog the lines by calling BA about it now, but what do they usually do in these circumstances?
BAH will offer you alternative, equivalent accommodation.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
BAH will offer you alternative, equivalent accommodation.
Offer or impose with no option of cancellation and refund?

Personally I wouldn’t necessarily accept someone else’s idea of equivalent.
Misco60 and mike&co like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
Offer or impose with no option of cancellation and refund?

Personally I wouldn’t necessarily accept someone else’s idea of equivalent.
When I was in the same situation, I was given the choice of alternative accommodation or a refund.
Tobias-UK, PETER01, SteveF and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Just to add here are the T & Cs for BA Holidays. I'm sure you will hear something in due course and as you rightly say I'd leave it for now if it isn't until later in the year.

Terms and Conditions

8.1. It is unlikely that we will have to change or cancel your booking. If we do make changes then we will inform the person who made the booking as soon as we reasonably can. We reserve the right to make changes that are not significant and to correct minor or obvious errors in your booking details at any time without liability to you.

8.2. We will take reasonable steps to avoid having to cancel your booking. In the unlikely event that we are to cancel your booking we will notify you and we will provide a full refund.

8.3. We are only liable to you for cancellations or significant changes to your booking by us. A significant change is one that we make to your booking before your departure that affects an essential term of your contract. Examples of a significant change includes changes by us to:
  • your destination area;
  • your booked accommodation to that of an alternative property of a lower rating;
  • your departure times or accommodation occupancy periods by more than 12 hours.
8.4. Where your booking includes accommodation and/or a flight please note that the following is not a significant change:
  • A change of rating for the accommodation where the quality of the accommodation has not changed significantly since the time of the booking and the facilities are substantially as set out on our website or equivalent;
  • A change in the accommodation where substitute accommodation is offered in a similar location and at least equivalent quality (at no additional cost to you);
  • A change in the particular type of room booked where the substitute room is of at least equivalent quality.
  • A change to your flight departure time(s) where the revised or substitute departure time is less than 12 hours difference to the departing time.
8.5. We are not liable to pay you compensation even for significant changes to your booking if Clause 11.3 applies.

8.6. If we make a significant change to your booking then, whether compensation is payable or not, you have a choice. You may:
8.6.1. accept the significant change; or
8.6.2. accept substitute arrangements of equivalent or superior quality if we are able to offer this to you; or
8.6.3. accept substitute arrangements of lower quality if we are able to offer this to you together with a refund of the difference in price between the original and the substitute arrangements; or
8.6.4. cancel your booking altogether, in which case we will process a refund in full of all money you have paid us for the booking within 7 days of your request.

8.7. You must tell us which one of the above choices (under Clause 8.6) you make within 7 days of being informed of the significant change we are making, or as soon as reasonably practicable if your departure is less than 7 days from the date you receive notification. If we do not receive notification from you about your choice you are deemed to have accepted the option in Clause 8.6.4 above.

8.8. Unless Clause 11.2 applies, you agree that if a significant change is made to your booking, whichever choice you make under Clause 8.6 above, we will only pay you for losses which may fairly and reasonably be considered as arising naturally (that is, according to the usual course of things) from the significant change we make.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:26 am

A long time ago now and in a different era of course but BA were really excellent about a similar situation, I wasn't happy about the alternative offered originally as I had picked my choice based on location and they got me into a very upgraded hotel at no charge without complaint
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
How frustrating!

i would agree with the posts above, usually BA Holidays are pretty good in these circumstances, it is worth doing some research to find an alternative hotel on the BA website that meets your requirements and then call up and negotiate.

In the event you couldn’t reach an agreement, not sure if you would have to get the entire holiday refunded or whether you could maintain the flights, others might be able to provide the answer.
Old Apr 2, 20, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
When it’s calmed down a bit, give them a ring armed with where you’d like to go. I’ve had this before and they were really helpful in sorting it out.
navylad and mike&co like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
I had a trip to Malta last year booked with BA holidays. They called me to say the hotel was no longer available - the gist being the hotel no longer met BA's health and saftey standards - they offered me a "better" hotel but suggested I check it out via TripAdvisor etc. It seemed a good hotel and I called back to accept it, but alas it was no longer available. They eneded up offering me a hotel a good few notches better at no extra cost. So it worked out well for us in the end
navylad and Fatdickie like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:39 pm

Are you sure it has ‘gone out of business’ rather than just temporary closed due to local operating restrictions following the CoVid19 outbreak?
Old Apr 2, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Traveller2 View Post
Are you sure it has ‘gone out of business’ rather than just temporary closed due to local operating restrictions following the CoVid19 outbreak?
Absolutely positive. Thank you everyone else for your input. I have found another property that I see to be equivalent and will discuss it with BA when the timing is appropriate.
Old Apr 2, 20, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ajbrowc View Post
Absolutely positive. Thank you everyone else for your input. I have found another property that I see to be equivalent and will discuss it with BA when the timing is appropriate.
It depends on what you class as equivalent. I’d booked to go to a hotel in Cancun that I’d been to before and saw posts in the Facebook group and trip advisor that minor renovations were not so minor eg diggers tearing up swimming pool. BA insisted hotel was still open and accepting guests. 2 weeks before they said the hotel had closed and we would go to an alternative hotel owned by the same group.. It was an upgraded hotel in the same area so no compensation due.

It was another hour down the road and transfers were £120 more so we said to BAH if it’s in the same area why are transfers £120 more so they said they’d give us complimentary transfers. The retail price of the new hotel for our stay was £1100 so we said can we not go to xx hotel in the group which retails at £900 so cheaper than what you are offering but closer to where we want to be and we were told no as the agent only had a budget of Certain amount.

We were offered full refund, refund of the hotel element and find our own however we would have lost a significant saving by booking a package or rebooking an alternative holiday to anywhere but at current prices again not an option as it was booked in sale with a hefty discount.

Reluctantly we accepted the change. Spoke to Duty office whilst away as replacement hotel was OK but was 5000 rooms v 200 at our original location we could never get into speciality restaurant and this hotel had $3 per item tray charge for room service which was free at the other hotel. On return BAH offered 50000 Avios and £150 to cover room service which we felt was fair . Won’t say holiday was awful but almost wish we hadn’t gone though I needed the TP routing via the USA to reach Gold.

booked to go back to original hotel the following year and was upgraded by BAH (hotel) and hotel upgraded as well as they’d heard a lot of guests who travelled often to the hotel were fobbed off to this big hotel and were genuinely horrified as they didn’t handle the rebooking.

The only time I’ve been disappointed with BAH.
Old Apr 3, 20, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had good experience of BA Holidays over a hotel change, and even a courtesy call to check everything was OK once we were in. However they are a small team and are largely working from a booking screen / hotel database, so they may well not appreciate differences between hotels (size, location, whatever) that are important to any particular customer. Hence the importance of doing your own research before accepting any alternative.

Back to the OP, I would say that hotels that go out of business have a habit of popping back up with new owners, bailout, takeover by a chain or whatever. Of course that may be less likely for a while during the current downturn.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
I would say that hotels that go out of business have a habit of popping back up with new owners, bailout, takeover by a chain or whatever.
It would not then be the same hotel. A hotel is much more than the building and location.

Search this Thread