Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to furlough 36,000 jobs [agreement reached with Unite union]

BA to furlough 36,000 jobs [agreement reached with Unite union]

Old Apr 3, 20, 1:32 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by marshy11 View Post
Nothing from either of them that I can see, other than the suggestion from the BBC that it was for "two months".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52130021
Yes the Government Scheme only runs until 31st May 2020 (for now) - This agreement will no doubt need to be revisited shortly.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 2:23 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
Whilst we come to the same conclusion here, Government stepped in and said we will foot the bill for 80% of their salary up to Ł2500. There wasn’t any direct statement about redundancy but as I say we’re drawing the same result.

As for getting another job, providing it is discussed and agreed between current/employer who made ‘you’ furloughed, then you are able to get another job. There is no preventing that. As Tim (CEO) Wetherspoons told his staff, if you want to go and stack shelves at Tesco then you should.
Yes, but the thing is that HMRC are paying the 80%. They will see that you have another job as the new employer will be declaring your earnings and, as I understand it, will reduce your 80% as a result. So you can work for someone else, but you won't get any more money. That's what I have been told by a couple of people who enquired.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:10 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
Yes, but the thing is that HMRC are paying the 80%. They will see that you have another job as the new employer will be declaring your earnings and, as I understand it, will reduce your 80% as a result. So you can work for someone else, but you won't get any more money. That's what I have been told by a couple of people who enquired.
Martin Lewis (the Money Expert Guy) said on TV last night that you could work for someone else whilst on Furlough (based on the most recent details published) - But he said you should really question the morals of it when some people have no income whatsoever - they would probably benefit more from the additional work than you would
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by marshy11 View Post
Nothing from either of them that I can see, other than the suggestion from the BBC that it was for "two months".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52130021
From Alex:

"The large majority of BA colleagues will be furloughed over a period of two months, starting in the next few days. If you are being furloughed, you will receive written confirmation by email soon. The number of colleagues who will be furloughed reflects the significant drop in flying. It is anticipated that more than 30,000 colleagues will be affected, all of whom will receive 80% of their base pay and 80% of certain allowances (Contractual Flying Pay, Elapsed Hourly Rate and Shift Pay) for the two months. Our remaining colleagues will continue to work so that we can keep our airline running."
marshy11 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
Martin Lewis ...........................said you should really question the morals of it when some people have no income whatsoever - they would probably benefit more from the additional work than you would
Where matters of personal finance are concerned, Martin Lewis is probably the closest thing there is to the concept of Papal infallibility.

Better to follow his advice than not ......
argonath likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:26 am

no flights till 1 June?

Does this necessary mean that there will be no BA flights until at least 1 June? Is virtually everyone furloughed through and including 31 May, so no BA flights are even possible until at least 1 June?
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by cufly View Post
Does this necessary mean that there will be no BA flights until at least 1 June? Is virtually everyone furloughed through and including 31 May, so no BA flights are even possible until at least 1 June?
You would have thought that would effectively be the case but May flights are still for sale for a lot of places, short and long haul.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Interesting legal quirk - you may NOT, under any circumstances, access your work email during a furlough period.

The BA Q&A to staff confirms this.

It also confirms that you may NOT take paid work elsewhere.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Interesting legal quirk - you may NOT, under any circumstances, access your work email during a furlough period.

The first condition is part of the Furlough scheme - I guess the government do not want to give employers "free" workers. The scheme is either 0% work or reduce employees hours, but if you reduce hours employees are not eligible for the scheme. On the Government scheme paid work elsewhere is allowed, but BA are going beyond the standard scheme with some allowances being paid and no Ł2500 cap, so I can see why they have put those restrictions in place. I wonder how that works with people who have a second job or those who work part-time for BA? There are a number of WW crew, for example, who work in all kinds of positions, or self-employed when not flying.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

This is a BA rule (contractual term) rather than one of the Furlough scheme - so yes I guess BA are preventing it
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
It appears that if one worked two roles part time, it is possible to be furloughed from both and the Ł2500/month applies maximum applies to each job. Someone on a mid level income in two roles could therefore be paid Ł5K a month to sit at home and tend the garden. Winners and losers in all of this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC,LifeMiles
a very good question, in particular re LGW flights at the end of May? I would hope that we get some transparency earlier rather than the current rolling series of cancellations. I appreciate the difficulty in forecasting where we will be in some 8 weeks time but clearly plans are being made and so publishing a provisional timetable would be very helpful
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:44 am

Programs: Silver, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
That's not what the Gov.uk website says. If you have several jobs and are furloughed for all of them the Government will still pay 80% for each job. When furloughed under the Government scheme you cannot then also work for your company. Also you can work another job but maybe not the same hours.
Old Apr 3, 20, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Exec
The press release on the IAG website stated that group capacity would now be reduced by 90% for April and May, but of course no breakdown was provided.
Old Apr 3, 20, 5:10 am

From the Gov website for employers.
A furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work or training, as long as it does not provide services to or generate revenue for, or on behalf of your organisation.
From the Gov website for employees.
Once you are on furlough you will not be able to work for your employer, but you can undertake training or volunteer subject to public health guidance, as long as you’re not:
  • making money for your employer
  • providing services to your employer

If your employer chooses to place you on furlough, you will need to remain on furlough for a minimum of 3 weeks. However, your employer can place you on furlough more than once, and one period can follow straight after an existing furlough period, while the scheme is open. The scheme will be open for at least 3 months.

Search this Thread