Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-VLC back to back to bring elderly relative from Spain Friday 3rd April.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi, wonder if anyone could help here.

under the current lockdown / travel restrictions would a Back to Back be possible LHR-VLC this coming Friday to bring back an elderly relative?

mums been caravanning in the south of Spain, and is now under lockdown, they have a dog / caravan so reliant upon ferries restarting otherwise.

they are based near Mercia (no flights), ALC but I did see VLC has a flight.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The first question would be why you would need to go yourself? Presumably your mother could get assistance at VLC to ensure she got onto the aircraft OK.

But VLC is do-able as a B2B, but you do have to go fully landside, and you would be best to be off the LHR service on arrival in VLC to ensure you could get airside quickly. It has to be said that services are typically running early at the moment, and if you expained the situation to the crew I am sure they wouldn't depart from VLC earlier than normal. Presumably you would meet your mother in airside departures anyway, B2B generally assumes no baggage checking and a swift passage through the system. But as I say, your services may be best restricted to taking your mother from Arrivals back home. As I understand it, you would then best self isolate separately for 2 weeks, and in her case longer potentially depending on her age and health.
Often1 and 86BA7 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks CWS. Just wanted to understand if the idea was possible.

mums suffering early dementia and the fear is she won’t get through an airport.

my step dad is resisting mum traveling on her own, so the plan is someone goes across to collect her. Ultimately this needs to co-inside with getting the caravan / dog back too, and that’s another challenge for another forum.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Valencia is a strange airport right now. When I was through last Wednesday they'd even turned all the lights off throughout the entire airport (no idea why). This said, it was completely quiet. If you plan to enter Spain, they were checking residency documents quite strictly (indeed, they paid no attention to my passport, or my husband's (Brasilian national), they were more interested in our residency status). I have never connected through Valencia so don't know whether you can remain airside, In our case it appeared they were making everyone go to the immigration queue, but since we weren't connecting, I didn't explore connection options.

Last edited by jackr27; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:05 pm

Spanish borders are closed. Unless you are a Spanish National or have a residency document then it’s a non-starter I’m afraid. I suspect you would be denied boarding as it’s being taken very seriously.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ajdj
Spanish borders are closed. Unless you are a Spanish National or have a residency document then it’s a non-starter I’m afraid. I suspect you would be denied boarding as it’s being taken very seriously.
If you show you are picking up your mother with dementia and prove you have an ongoing ticket immediately, maybe you get away with it?

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:55 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Originally Posted by ajdj
If you show you are picking up your mother with dementia and prove you have an ongoing ticket immediately, maybe you get away with it?
I wouldn't be confident of this. Passports weren't the issue at immigration, the focus was on residency documents. I imagine that any airline flying people to Spain is also working on that basis.We were connecting from Zurich to Valencia through Heathrow. At both ZRH and LHR we were asked to provide residency documents prior to boarding.
ajdj likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:55 pm Reason: Repair quotation frames
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jackr27
I wouldn't be confident of this. Passports weren't the issue at immigration, the focus was on residency documents. I imagine that any airline flying people to Spain is also working on that basis.We were connecting from Zurich to Valencia through Heathrow. At both ZRH and LHR we were asked to provide residency documents prior to boarding.
Agreed, I’m in Fuerteventura and one of the last flights in from Gatwick on Sunday only had 8 people on board. All were Spanish nationals or residents that had to show documentation before boarding. I can’t emphasise how tough the restrictions are in Spain right now, different level to the UK and ‘getting away with it’ just doesn’t happen here.
jackr27 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by tedcruz; Mar 31, 2020 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tedcruz
I have to do something similar. I'm delivering a box of fragile Jewish matzos to KEF on Sunday for the festival of passover. As they break easily and we need them to be hole in order to make a blessing on, they need to be held in ones hand for the duration of transit. I contacted the Icelandic foreign office and they said that there are no restrictions to British citizens transiting. Restrictions apply if you plan on staying; then you need to go into 14 days quarantine. So I booked a b2b at KEF on sunday for £83. More info on matzos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo
I don’t mean to be disrespectful of your religion, but is this seriously necessary travel right now?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Deleted.

Last edited by tedcruz; Mar 31, 2020 at 8:42 pm
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:18 pm

According to this you might be able to do this, if you can show repatriating an elderly relative that would otherwise be unable to travel is an "imperative family reason".

SPAIN - published 23.03.2020
Passengers are not allowed to enter Spain.
-This does not apply to:
a) Nationals and residents of a European Union or Schengen member state, who go directly to their place of residence;
b) Holders of a long-term visa issued by a European Union or Schengen member state who travel to the country that issued the visa;
c) Cross-border workers;
d) Healthcare or elderly care professionals in the performance of their duties;
e) Transport of goods personnel;
f) Diplomats, international organizations, military personnel and members of humanitarian organizations in the performance of their duties;
g) People traveling for imperative family reasons duly accredited.
h) Persons who documentary reasons of force majeure or situation of need, or whose entry is permitted for humanitarian reasons.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Who is she travelling with now? I assume she wasn't travelling alone if she has early dementia. Why can't she continue to shelter in place.
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
No. Let me be very clear about this. If you don’t have residence in Spain and a way to prove it you won’t be allowed in.

Also travel by car is extremely restricted right now.
ajdj likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Unless you can proof IN SPANISH that your mother has dementia and can’t return on her own you won’t be able to pick her up, and I’m not even sure that would be a valid reason they would allow you to travel. Your big problem is not the plane, it’s actually driving in Spain there. Controls everywhere, good luck trying to explain that to a very tired and angry police every 50km.

I don’t recommend you doing that. I did VLC - Heathrow - Tokyo when the Spanish lockdown went on (because I live in Japan) and even I am a Spaniard and it’s easier for me to explain the situation I almost get fined.
jackr27 and ajdj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.