Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What would you turn a scrap 747 into? Nice gesture to staff cut from G-BNLJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you turn a scrap 747 into? Nice gesture to staff cut from G-BNLJ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Trent900
I expect the usual health and safety or security excuses would prohibit a 747 hotel/hostel.
Those health and safety spoilsports are a real pain in the butt, aren't they, insisting that premises be safe for guests. I'm sure most people would be more than happy to forgo silly things like fire escape routes for the chance of sleeping in an old plane.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Misco60
Those health and safety spoilsports are a real pain in the butt, aren't they, insisting that premises be safe for guests. I'm sure most people would be more than happy to forgo silly things like fire escape routes for the chance of sleeping in an old plane.
Yes, if only those jumbo jets had more than one door, shame.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BERbound
Yes, if only those jumbo jets had more than one door, shame.
My point is that, as much as the Daily Mail would have you believe it, health and safety officers aren't out to spoil people's fun for the sake of it: rather, their job is to help keep us all safe. If they are content that a converted jumbo jet - or any other structure - meets all safety regulations then they'll approve the change in use. If not, they won't.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by AleTrail
Slightly OT but I put my BAEC luggage tags into a Cathay Pacific aluminium sleeve which protects them from snapping.
I could do with another one. Anyone know where to get something similar?
Couldn't find any of those Cathay Pacific card holders so strengthened the BA tag with a metal grommet and wire cable - Gold of course ;-)

BA Gold Luggage Tag
Old May 5, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
My point is that, as much as the Daily Mail would have you believe it, health and safety officers aren't out to spoil people's fun for the sake of it: rather, their job is to help keep us all safe. If they are content that a converted jumbo jet - or any other structure - meets all safety regulations then they'll approve the change in use. If not, they won't.
When I lived in the U.K. they insisted on testing the fire alarm every Monday during working hours. This was supposedly a requirement from the EU (no wonder Brexit happened). Health & safety in the U.K. has gone bonkers.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
When I lived in the U.K. they insisted on testing the fire alarm every Monday during working hours. This was supposedly a requirement from the EU (no wonder Brexit happened). Health & safety in the U.K. has gone bonkers.
who is "they"?
and why should this be a requirement from the EU? was this U.K. law? was this a requirement from the EU solely for the U.K.?

never heard of anything like this for my country.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:59 am
Suspended

If you’re converting a B744 into a building for occupants in the UK, it may not be health and safety spoiling the alleged fun.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
When I worked for a previous company there was a two stage alarm and yes that was tested every Monday morning at 10am. The first stage was a message saying there was a potential problem and to listen for further announcements. If it exceeded a certain amount of time (5 mins) on the first stage the alarm system switched to a much more urgent evacuation messasge/alarm. There was one bloke who had the job of checking it could be heard on every floor on both sides of the large building. He sometimes didn't make it back to the fire alarm control panel in time and we got the evacuation alarm as well. A joke in the office was we couldn't have a fire at 10am on a Monday as nobody would ever move despite the alarms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.