Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
WHAT'S OPEN IN T5?

Current to 14 January 2022. Changes from previous update in red where applicable.

Landside - Departures
Boots
Caff Nero
Excess Baggage (both units in Zones B and F)
Excess Baggage Wrap
Kanishka Kitchen
Travelex
WHSmith (both units in Zones C and H) - including Post Office in WHSmith Zone H

Landside - Arrivals
Boots
Bradley Smith Hair Express Bar
Caff Nero (both units North and South)
Costa Coffee
Excess Baggage
Hotel Reservations / Sim Local
Marks and Spencer
Travelex
WHSmith

Airside - T5A Upper Level
Accessorize
Boots
Dixons Travel
Giraffe
Glorious Britain
Gordon Ramsay Plane Food
Harrods
The Harry Potter Shop
The Macallan Boutique
Travelex
Wagamama
WHSmith
World Duty Free Tobacco

Airside - T5A Gate Level
Be Relax
Boots
Bottega Venetta
Bulgari
Burberry
Cartier
Case
Caviar House & Prunier Seafood Bar
Chanel
Dior
Dixons Travel
Fortnum & Mason
Gucci
Herms
Hugo Boss
InMotion
Itsu
Kurt Geiger
Louis Vuitton
Orlebar Brown
Paul Smith
Pilots Bar & Kitchen
Prada
Pret a Manger (both Main and Express units)
Ray-Ban
Reiss
Rituals
Rolex
Smythson
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
Ted Baker
The Crown Rivers (JD Wetherspoon)
Tiffany & Co.
Travelex
Watches of Switzerland
WHSmith (both North and South units)
WHSmith Bookshop
World of Whiskies
World Duty Free (all units - Collection, Main, North, Perfumerie)

Airside - T5B
Boots
Dixons Travel
Sim Local
Starbucks
Sunglass Hut
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - T5C
Boots
Starbucks
WHSmith
World Duty Free

Airside - Arrivals
World Duty Free (both North and South units)

Print Wikipost

COVID-19 and BA: Using Heathrow T5

Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by woobl
At T5 today for BA344. Very busy boarding process and no social distancing taking place. Boarding from front to back which seems to have caused some confusion amongst pax. Everyone in masks, but no markings at the gate so loads of people close together.

Shouldnt the gate procedure be better organised.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 7:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Shouldn’t the gate procedure be better organised.
It looks suspiciously like gate A12, which regulars will know is a bit tucked away behind WDF, with the long Starbucks concession next along. In normal times it's easier to get to this gate by cutting through WDF. Starbuck and WDF are closed and roped off.. It isn't a good choice of gate since it is hemmed in by all the closed shops, when there are plenty of unused gates in A at the moment, even if they many have aircraft sat in front. It is odd that boarding was from front to back (none of my recent flights have been) since that tends to encourage people to approach the gate. If they are doing back to front, given how little people know about aircraft layout, it isn't obvious that someone in row 36 is going to be the first on and therefore few people congregate around the gate. And 2 dimension photos don't always give a good view of spacing. But having said all that, it's down to all of us to keep a 2m distance, there is no sensible reason for people to get that close to each other - this is a shared endeavour, not something that happens to other people.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Can you still get a printed boarding pass?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Can you still get a printed boarding pass?
Last time I was through ( a few weeks ago), yes - but not from the self service machines.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Does anyone know if BA are allowing PAX to check in hand luggage free of charge in order to create space in the overhead bins and reduce COVID risk or is this only being done on selected flights like before? I seem to recall BA sending emails within a day or two of departure.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Does anyone know if BA are allowing PAX to check in hand luggage free of charge in order to create space in the overhead bins and reduce COVID risk or is this only being done on selected flights like before? I seem to recall BA sending emails within a day or two of departure.
Not exaclly. There is the existing ability to check in hand luggage compliant items if on a Basic fare, and in the case of Italy (and Turkey) then you have to use that facility if your bag won't go under the seat in front. But that isn't a backdoor route to increasing your allowance.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not exaclly. There is the existing ability to check in hand luggage compliant items if on a Basic fare, and in the case of Italy (and Turkey) then you have to use that facility if your bag won't go under the seat in front. But that isn't a backdoor route to increasing your allowance.
The only flights where hand baggage should be accepted free of charge are those to Italy at this time.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: MUCCI
Just following on from this - so for Italy (since might be travelling in a couple of weeks) - is that no hand luggage? And what does one do if in row 1 - check the lot in?
Just a pragmatic point....
FD.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Just following on from this - so for Italy (since might be travelling in a couple of weeks) - is that no hand luggage? And what does one do if in row 1 - check the lot in?
Just a pragmatic point....
FD.
The rule in Italy is, as I understand it, as follows:
If your hand luggage fits under the seat in front, it doesn't need to be checked in.
If you're sat in Row 1, or emergency exit: use the bin.

There also seems to be a provision that allows the use of bins in case of a light load, but it appears to be used sporadically.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by 13901
The rule in Italy is, as I understand it, as follows:
If your hand luggage fits under the seat in front, it doesn't need to be checked in.
If you're sat in Row 1, or emergency exit: use the bin.

There also seems to be a provision that allows the use of bins in case of a light load, but it appears to be used sporadically.
Thanks! Most helpful for planning!
Dicksbits and 13901 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:42 am

Is there a source of information on what shops are now open airside at T5? The HAL website is silent, unless I am looking in the wrong place. Same for World Duty Free.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Is there a source of information on what shops are now open airside at T5? The HAL website is silent, unless I am looking in the wrong place. Same for World Duty Free.
See upthread, but the short answer is that only WH Smith, Boots, Prt and (landside) Caff Nero are open
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
See upthread, but the short answer is that only WH Smith, Boots, Prt and (landside) Caff Nero are open
Thanks! I was hoping with the July schedules more outlets would start opening from today. I suppose we shall wait and see!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Thanks! I was hoping with the July schedules more outlets would start opening from today. I suppose we shall wait and see!
I thought that one of the fashion boutiques had opened, may have been Gucci?

As traffic picks up hopefully we'll see more and more of T5 open up.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Ah, that's a different question! From next week onwards I'd be hoping that a few more venues will be opening up. I am expecting at least the smaller WDF shop to open up very soon, the one in T2 is open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.