Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Most unusual aircraft on a BA operated flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most unusual aircraft on a BA operated flight.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
I’m not sure if they were operated just as codeshares or not, but I seem to recall TAT Fokker F28s in full BA (Landor) colours at LHR.
I remember flying to or from Paris in one of their F28s shortly after they were made part of BA. At the time, it was in a completely white livery – my colleague, who had never experienced something like that before, was a bit cautious of boarding. :-)

If I am not mistaken, this was booked as CPH–BHX–CDG with the Maersk Air UK-operated BAC 1-11 on the CPH–BHX leg and the TAT F28 on way (and F100 on the return). When the tickets were booked, we only had a 15 minute connection time in BHX and I remember asking the TA if that was really enough and she said that the system said so. And she was right – it was more than plenty, despite having to go through transit security (without fast track access). Those were the days…
TedToToe likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
My first ever transatlantic was a Air New Zealand DC10 from LHR-MIA Aug 1977. Also did my first BA 777 flight CDG-LHR in 1996 - also that was my first FLUB.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For me, the most unusual was probably an Atlantic Airways Avro RJ wet-leased to operate a CPH–LCY service on behalf of BA CityFlier Express…

Many years ago, Sun Air operated several domestic routes in Denmark on their J31s in full BA livery. I remember flying from very small Skive (SQW) airport which was not much more than a shed. The on-board catering was a wicker basket with sandwiches, a few soft drinks and thermos flasks with tea and coffee.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by allturnleft
The twin otter of loganair

in BA colours was always a treat on the beach in Barra
Does this count?

Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
This is what I flew on for my first ever flight between GLA & BFS. Turns out it must have been brand new as it was only introduced to the fleet in 1989, the year of my first ever flight.

Credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._1994_(02).jpg
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Does this count?

I never knew they had islanders

where was this?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by kenko92
Yes Concorde appeared on some Shuttle flights to GLA and EDI on rare occasions.
The British Open was held at Troon in 1982, so on the Monday after the event, GLA got to host 3 Concordes that BA pressed into service to act as Shuttles to get golfers/caddies, families, etc back down to London to catch their TATL flights back home.

In the mid mid to late 80s I would often use the Shuttle service to “head up the road” for the weekend. I would always travel standby and never usually had an issue except for one Sunday where I was supposed to be on the last flight of the evening and it was unusually busy. In the end, about 30 of us didn’t make the flight, so BA “dusted off” a spare BAC 1-11 and created a new flight for us that departed around 30 mins after the scheduled departure.

I soon found that I could book confirmed seats on British Midland for not much more than what I was paying for standby on BA, so I ended up flying with them for a few years.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:39 pm

Flightline also operated some ad-hoc services on behalf of British Airways from the late 90's all the way through untill 2008 when they went bust. I flew on one of their BAE146's from LGW-MAN in December 1997. Full BA shuttle service on board from recollection, although the cabin was a bit jaded. Back down to LGW it was a bog standard BA 737-400.

From Wikipedia
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I never knew they had islanders

where was this?
Used for Orkney interisland flights. This is likely KOI as it is the only airport in Orkney with a paved runway.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Used for Orkney interisland flights. This is likely KOI as it is the only airport in Orkney with a paved runway.
oh yes here in a later incarnation with the local loganair
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Anyone remember when this monstrosity appeared? As I recall it was provided by XL Airways for GB Airways (a then franchisee of BA). If you look really closely you can see the aircraft still carries the livery of Miami Air around a light/sensor, below the front four windows, who in turn were leasing the aircraft to XL.

I'm sure BA's branding department would have had a fit.. even then, back in 2007. The speedmarque is the wrong way round to start with!

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5980799

Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by Schwann
Anyone remember when this monstrosity appeared? As I recall it was provided by XL Airways for GB Airways (a then franchisee of BA). If you look really closely you can see the aircraft still carries the livery of Miami Air around a light/sensor, below the front four windows, who in turn were leasing the aircraft to XL.

I'm sure BA's branding department would have had a fit.. even then, back in 2007. The speedmarque is the wrong way round to start with!

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5980799

Way too much blue too, it's almost half and half!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Almost the reverse, I once flew GLA-NWI on Flybe, and the ERJ was in full BA livery, having only recently been transferred to BE.

signol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.