Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SYD-SIN in Y, SIN-LHR in J using Companion Voucher

Old Mar 26, 20, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards

Outbound to SYD already booked in J. SIN-LHR is wide open in J but SYD-SIN only showing Y which is fine as itís an 8 hour day flight, but is it bookable without splitting the legs and using more Avios?

Im using an Amex voucher so I know itís only possible to book on the phone, which will be a challenge given the strain the call centres are under at the moment.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You can do it, but you will get charged the full avios for the two legs as if they are seperate.

You'll probably also get the full J YQ for the whole journey which is harsh but mechanical. To offset that somewhat, if you have enough avios book it online (one way, no voucher) and then call them to put it under the voucher. This will mean you pay Oz YQ, about £50pp less than UK YQ (however note this will mean you retain two bookings: two canx fees if you change your mind and a bit more complicated during disruption).
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:04 am
Original Poster

You can book the return online then request it be added to the outbound companion voucher? I didn’t know that.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wb1969 View Post
You can book the return online then request it be added to the outbound companion voucher? I didnít know that.
Yes

All details and FAQs on the 2-4-1 thread:

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:07 am

You can book the return online then request it be added to the outbound companion voucher? I didnít know that.
Yes. This is primarily for those that book the outbound on release and then the inbound later (to avoid the need to call at midnight) and is a clear policy. It should be fine for what you want to do. The second booking gets half its avios back but remains separate with the complications I mentioned above.

It is possible though that the YQ issue I mentioned above stops you booking mixed class online.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:25 am
Original Poster

If I book Syd-Sin-Lhr on BA15/BA12 aren’t I restricted to choosing 1 class of travel, or do I have to make 2 separate bookings and have them both added to the outbound companion voucher?
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:29 am

Search for SYD-LON in Y, say you want a stopover in SIN but choose the same date for the second leg. You should then be able to pick the two legs separately in different classes.

One more issue though: it may stop you booking the two legs with a short connection time. You can only try!
Old Mar 26, 20, 7:40 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
When are you doing this? Rumours, Scott Morrison is going to close SYD on 31 March, apparently it is chaotic there (a friend has referred to it as a cesspit today, which it certainly never is!)
Old Mar 26, 20, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Thankfully not until 2021 when I hope it will be business as usual again.
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Good luck, but there even if things go well, the new normal may be very different from the old normal!
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Outbound to SYD already booked in J. SIN-LHR is wide open in J but SYD-SIN only showing Y which is fine as it’s an 8 hour day flight, but is it bookable without splitting the legs and using more Avios?

I'm using an Amex voucher so I know it’s only possible to book on the phone, which will be a challenge given the strain the call centres are under at the moment.
Thankfully not until 2021 when I hope it will be business as usual again.
So just wait ~6 months before considering what you can do.
You seem to be assuming BA will still fly to Australia.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Who knows in the post-Covid world? I can only assume that as BA are selling tickets for when I want to go, they at least plan to still be flying the route.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:23 pm

And short of going out of business, BA will still have to provide the OP with alternative flights if they quit SYD so if they want to use a 241 (and pay with a credit card) I donít see great reason to wait.
so3003 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: