Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 : changes to on-board meal / food / beverage service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 : changes to on-board meal / food / beverage service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:55 pm

Just read this on Head for Points, good news some improvements:
Someone at BA has clearly read this post today… from 16 June enhanced catering will be introduced!!

Now don’t all get excited at once… it’ll still be prepackaged cold food. But J/F will get a nicer ‘box meal’ than W/M (which won’t be differentiated). And second meals will also be served on long flights.

Booze is back!!! Albeit not available in ET. CE/CW will have the same quarter-bottles of wine so slightly less choice than normal, but at least it will be there on request.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulaf
Someone at BA has clearly read this post today… from 16 June enhanced catering will be introduced!!
That sounds similar to post 406 above.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That sounds similar to post 406 above.
Yes it does but this mentions CE whereas 406 wasn't sure. All good news.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by mrdisco
I am also surprised that it’s so soon... let’s see. He said the info will be in the public domain very soon so I expect some sort of announcement by BA?
You source was right!! Now we just need lounge info... .. just joking, im sure they will be back in the near future. I'm still guessing July time, as long as things do no get worse.

Thanks for posting!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Some more info from source:

Meals will be served in a box to allow the box in its entirety to be discarded afterwards, no need for crew to be touching plates etc. It will be interesting to see how premium these meals look,

CE will receive packaged sandwiches, a dessert and water. Longer bands will receive a cold meal. Alcohol available on request after take off.

‘ambient snacks’ will be available in the Club Kitchen.

Apparently the pictures of the new service don’t look too bad...!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
‘ambient snacks’ will be available in the Club Kitchen.
Well it sounds authentic. It wouldn't be a BA meal if it didn't involve an ambient snack.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Meals will be served in a box to allow the box in its entirety to be discarded afterwards, no need for crew to be touching plates etc. It will be interesting to see how premium these meals look,

CE will receive packaged sandwiches, a dessert and water. Longer bands will receive a cold meal. Alcohol available on request after take off.
Is this the long term solution for CE? A sandwich and dessert isn’t very substantial as a replacement for a hot meal, dessert, salad and roll. Still it’s an improvement on the what we have now.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Is this the long term solution for CE? A sandwich and dessert isn’t very substantial as a replacement for a hot meal, dessert, salad and roll. Still it’s an improvement on the what we have now.
This is all supposed to be short term in response to COVID, HOWEVER if it’s cheaper for BA to produce then I don’t see them quickly changing back to how things used to be - this could be the new normal.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is all supposed to be short term in response to COVID, HOWEVER if it’s cheaper for BA to produce then I don’t see them quickly changing back to how things used to be - this could be the new normal.
Let's give them a little bit of credit... people said the same thing about the initial COVID food offering, but it didn't take them long to launch a better offering.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samfrost93
Let's give them a little bit of credit... people said the same thing about the initial COVID food offering, but it didn't take them long to launch a better offering.
Err... nearly three months?
asnovici likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, Virgin, Southwest, Marriot, Accorhotels, Hilton
No, I am not giving them credit. They will contract with someone to prepare these sorry packages and will serve them as long as the contract is in place. So no, I do not suspect these to be phased out soon. I am disappointed with BA to treat their customers that way. And public in general. With unemployment soaring, you would think more jobs would be offered to clean, to prepare healthy alternative, to do whatever to ensure safe handled food. Would I pay premium for that? Absolutely. I do expect the cost of travel to go up. But when I pay for CW or F and then CE ticket I expect something from airline. If it is safe to hand me a wrapped tray then this tray can be filled with healthy, heated meal option which can be assembled by the crew and delivered to my place. I would not be offended if flying in F I got at least an option similar to CW for the time being. But the choices and the look has to be there. And all of it can be delivered to us in one trip. Plus they could do a pre-order online , that way crew would be able to just distribute our way meals we ordered ahead of time.
RoyalSwazi and londonba2014 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
BA has announced it's new COVID-19 friendly catering, as this is now confirmed I've started a new topic away from the speculation discussion:

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.