Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 : changes to on-board meal / food / beverage service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 : changes to on-board meal / food / beverage service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by frogster
If you buy it duty free or depart from an airport where the limit on liquids through security has been loosened
sorry Duty free closed today at LHR (Terminal 2) so maybe terminal 5 too..

anyone travelled today club world? and can write review ….?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:04 am
Suspended

These steps are necessary to save more lives.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA - Silver, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott- lifetime Gold
Currently sat in Cathay Pacific lounge in BKK - all shops and food establishments open throughout the airport. Hot and cold food being served in the lounge (the dim sum are very good) and full bar service.

Will be interested to hear the cabin crew opinion on changes to the onboard Club World service - I get the infection protocol for food service but no alcohol bring served?

Bring bag the Ryanair Bullseye Baggies
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by pastie321
Currently sat in Cathay Pacific lounge in BKK - all shops and food establishments open throughout the airport. Hot and cold food being served in the lounge (the dim sum are very good) and full bar service.

Will be interested to hear the cabin crew opinion on changes to the onboard Club World service - I get the infection protocol for food service but no alcohol bring served?

Bring bag the Ryanair Bullseye Baggies
Apparently they are having problems sourcing stock from suppliers (all alcohol is sourced from UK suppliers I'm told and that's where the problem lies).
​​​​​
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Apparently they are having problems sourcing stock from suppliers (all alcohol is sourced from UK suppliers I'm told and that's where the problem lies).
​​​​​
All the extra warehouse space and stockpiles of booze put in place for Brexit in the UK probably have been cleaned out the last few days if going by the supermarket shelves and of that, half of it probably has been drunk already with people forced to spend 24x7 with their partners, or having to home school children. When the country runs dry, then we are in trouble!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Garimi
sorry Duty free closed today at LHR (Terminal 2) so maybe terminal 5 too..

anyone travelled today club world? and can write review ….?
Anybody know what's open at T5 currently (although I know it could change in a matter of days)? On my way home soon and connecting through T5 so I'd like to know if there's somewhere to eat as there won't be much on either flight.
The HAL website (corona FAQ page) lists the following open:
  • Terminal 2: Leon, Yo! Sushi, Boots and WHSmith
  • Terminal 3: Yo! Sushi, Nero, Boots and WHSmith
  • Terminal 4: Boots and WHSmith
  • Terminal 5: Crown Rivers, Boots and WHSmith
As Crown Rivers is a pub, I'm wondering if this list is still accurate. I'm not even sure that the food outlets listed in the other terminals are still allowed to open so might be closed too.
Even if this list is accurate I think a Boots meal deal is the safest option. T5 gets Spoons, the T2 and 3 options sound nicer.
There's bigger things to worry about, but at least it's good to know in order to come prepared.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: SQ *G, QR OWS
Photo from a friend who just got off BA11 LHR-SIN in CW. He did not get the memo from Waterside... so was furious. I hope BA do not make these catering cuts permanent.
Also, spare a thought for pax on the 22.5hr BA15/16 LHR-SYD which now only makes a tech stop in SIN (no disembarking).

rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: BA - Silver, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott- lifetime Gold
This was the “meal” served in CW BKK - LHR yesterday:

A further snack box was served 9 hours later which was also very beige.

If you were were on a GF diet then you were screwed!

Was absolutely starving when I got off the aircraft. The cabin crew were quite apologetic but I was clear that no blame on them and the fault lay elsewhere.

Pretty appalling for a 13 hour flight and will be discussing with BA. I get there are issues in supply chains at the moment but to happily take my money with no offer of recompense is pretty shoddy
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
On a CE flight from Munich back to LHR yesterday was given a choice of Tea/Coffee, a small pack of Pretzels, a shortbread and a small bottle of water.

It was only an hour and a half so no big deal and I was just gratetful there was still a flight to get on (so won't be complaining about lack of service!!!!). The crew were apologetic but obviously not their fault.

Probably a better job could be done communicating both via email and at the gate that there is nothing on board so get something before hand if available.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: QF Gold
Those long haul meals look grim!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by davem4
Those long haul meals look grim!
Can’t see any ‘meals’ in those photos ..... ?!? Or are you perhaps referring to the kit-kat and quarter of a panini. .....

Quick way to shed a few pounds from the waistline on a 13 hour sector !
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pastie321
This was the “meal” served in CW BKK - LHR yesterday:

A further snack box was served 9 hours later which was also very beige.

If you were were on a GF diet then you were screwed!

Was absolutely starving when I got off the aircraft. The cabin crew were quite apologetic but I was clear that no blame on them and the fault lay elsewhere.

Pretty appalling for a 13 hour flight and will be discussing with BA. I get there are issues in supply chains at the moment but to happily take my money with no offer of recompense is pretty shoddy
Oh dear! I shall have to stock up on crap from a 7-11 then! Already planning on bringing groceries back in a suitcase from Tesco Lotus as I have nothing in at home.

Is the M&S shop likely to open in T5 arrivals at 6pm?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by manymany
Oh dear! I shall have to stock up on crap from a 7-11 then! Already planning on bringing groceries back in a suitcase from Tesco Lotus as I have nothing in at home.

Is the M&S shop likely to open in T5 arrivals at 6pm?
Probably, it was open in T2 arrivals yesterday, but things can change day by day
manymany likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Cheers layz
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I must admit I'm thinking "Is this really the best BA can do?" I appreciate that supply chains and hygiene requirements aren't making life easy, but that BKK meal is at the bottom end of my expectations (and a bit below, frankly). Fruit pot? Cheese portion? Salad pot?

I have a USA to UK flight on Saturday, not sure where I'm going to get supplies in due the logistics involved. But there are only about 40 passengers down for the service, the amount of food required for the service isn't huge, so I'm surprised this is the extent of BA's current logistical reach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.