Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA81 [LHR-ACC B744 G-CIVN] returned to LHR [and might have declared an emergency?]

BA81 [LHR-ACC B744 G-CIVN] returned to LHR [and might have declared an emergency?]

Old Mar 24, 20, 3:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by florens View Post
I am no pilot but shouldn't they avoid exactly this, and instead select their transponder code in a way that it doesn't come to a temporary 7700?
Yes, it shouldn't happen (e.g. by putting the stansponder in standby before setting the code) but it's not as though it would trigger a real emergency response by the ATC just because it's got cycled through 7700 - it should be reasonably clear a moment or two later that's what happened. While it shouldn't happen, it's in a way a non-issue issue that only alarms people watching flights closely on the likes of Flight Radar because the data capture is not fully live. If the ATC got alarmed, it'd have been momentary too.

For all I know, they might well have had a reason to squawk 7700 on this particular flight which was subsequently resolved, though.
florens likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:01 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
It's my understanding that ATC can sometimes ask a flight to sqwuak 7700 as it then highlights that flight on the controller's radar screen. In the situation described in this thread, I could see this happening as it would allow the controller to instantly see the aircraft on his screen and be able to deconflict it from other traffic.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Just thinking about last yesterdays flight: there will be crew caught up n this well if BA 78 didn't run. Are they effectively stuck there until 5th April?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal View Post
Just thinking about last yesterdays flight: there will be crew caught up n this well if BA 78 didn't run. Are they effectively stuck there until 5th April?
No, they were going to be working out and coming home as passengers, and another crew doing it the other way round.
Old Mar 24, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by McG View Post
It's my understanding that ATC can sometimes ask a flight to sqwuak 7700 as it then highlights that flight on the controller's radar screen. In the situation described in this thread, I could see this happening as it would allow the controller to instantly see the aircraft on his screen and be able to deconflict it from other traffic.
There's an "IDEN" button on transponders that highlights a particular aircraft to ATC - they'll often ask "Squawk IDEN" to get a highlight on their screens in periods of heavy traffic. I can't imagine ATC ever asking for a 7700, but maybe in other parts of the world?
Old Mar 24, 20, 8:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Squawk ident, to be exact, rather than squawk iden...
florens likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 9:37 am

According to the BA Source the 7700 squawk only appeared 'briefly' over France on the way back.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flygirl68 View Post
No, they were going to be working out and coming home as passengers, and another crew doing it the other way round.

So there was no 24 rest with the crew staying down route? Fair enough
flygirl68 and Jimmie76 like this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
ATC can ask crew to select 7700 as it will show up through any suppressing filters on any radar screens, enabling all ATC other staff to see any 7700 squawk in any neighbouring airspace. This is helpful because it tells the controller not to try and contact them unless absolutely necessary.

Additionally, crews can sometimes select 7700 inadvertently on the way to selecting their intended squawk, however this is often not possible on the avionics most modern airliners have installed. It’s far more common on light general aviation aircraft, indeed I’d say around London it’s a daily occurrence. When I see 7700 come up on my screen for an aircraft not under my control, I wait at least 5 seconds before reporting it.
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
That's very interesting, thanks Heathrow Tower!
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by SkyTeem View Post
There's an "IDEN" button on transponders that highlights a particular aircraft to ATC - they'll often ask "Squawk IDEN" to get a highlight on their screens in periods of heavy traffic. I can't imagine ATC ever asking for a 7700, but maybe in other parts of the world?
We ask for an IDENT to positively identify and validate the Squawk,usually just after take off when we validate that all of the information sent from the aircraft is correct e g altitude

We regularly ask for the 7700 if an aircraft is in an emergency so that all of the surrounding sectors can see that there's an issue-particularly to indicate that an emergency descent may be required

this is a very simple explanation

Last edited by steve170461; Mar 24, 20 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 24, 20, 11:00 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
I heard it turned back as Ghana closed it's borders..
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by no longer atc View Post
I heard it turned back as Ghana closed it's borders..
Correct.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower View Post
ATC can ask crew to select 7700 as it will show up through any suppressing filters on any radar screens, enabling all ATC other staff to see any 7700 squawk in any neighbouring airspace. This is helpful because it tells the controller not to try and contact them unless absolutely necessary.

Additionally, crews can sometimes select 7700 inadvertently on the way to selecting their intended squawk, however this is often not possible on the avionics most modern airliners have installed. Itís far more common on light general aviation aircraft, indeed Iíd say around London itís a daily occurrence. When I see 7700 come up on my screen for an aircraft not under my control, I wait at least 5 seconds before reporting it.
I was alwyas taught to put into standby then change the sqwark code to avoid exactly that, Thought everyone did that, Seems not!
Old Mar 25, 20, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
I was alwyas taught to put into standby then change the sqwark code to avoid exactly that, Thought everyone did that, Seems not!
Sadly not!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: