Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Why won’t BA let you get a refund via the website?

Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
The JavaScript workaround is great! Cancelled two bookings and got the email, that my refund request is being processed. Huge thanks to willmatt
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I clicked through to the voucher then after reading ftalk went back and got to the refund form. BA emailed me about the voucher they're sending me. I assume I now have to call these clowns and tell them to shove their voucher and send me back my $? Why do I ever book anything on this awful airline? When will I learn.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I clicked through to the voucher then after reading ftalk went back and got to the refund form. BA emailed me about the voucher they're sending me. I assume I now have to call these clowns and tell them to shove their voucher and send me back my $? Why do I ever book anything on this awful airline? When will I learn.
Why are BA "awful"? Almost all airlines are encouraging you to take the voucher. United & Swiss have unlawfully decided not to offer refunds at all, even when they don't offer a transportation service - that is 'awful'. I think you need some perspective: if you ask for a refund, BA will give you one.
Tocsin likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:21 am

My family of 4 (2 x adult and 2 x child) have flights going to Miami on 23rd May and were scheduled to return on the 11th June. Ive had an email from BA stating my return flight times have changed and now is the 1st June (10 days earlier). Is this classed as a cancellation?
Also, as part of the same holiday, I booked three additional Avios flights through BA but flying with America A. Two of these flights now depart after the 1st June, therefore would i have any room is asking for a full refund including my £35 per flight for these. I dont want to call the centre yet and add to their call times, im sure there are many people in need of more urgent solutions
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Why are BA "awful"? Almost all airlines are encouraging you to take the voucher. United & Swiss have unlawfully decided not to offer refunds at all, even when they don't offer a transportation service - that is 'awful'. I think you need some perspective: if you ask for a refund, BA will give you one.
BA don't "encourage" you to take the voucher. They direct you to click "Cancel/Refund" thinking you're getting a refund, then SURPRISE! It confirms a voucher is being sent. In order to get to the real refund screen you have to read Flyertalk and figure out when to strategically disable javascript because BA want to make it borderline impossible for people to get their $ back. Good luck getting them on the phone...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by sparkzilla
My family of 4 (2 x adult and 2 x child) have flights going to Miami on 23rd May and were scheduled to return on the 11th June. Ive had an email from BA stating my return flight times have changed and now is the 1st June (10 days earlier). Is this classed as a cancellation?
Also, as part of the same holiday, I booked three additional Avios flights through BA but flying with America A. Two of these flights now depart after the 1st June, therefore would i have any room is asking for a full refund including my £35 per flight for these. I dont want to call the centre yet and add to their call times, im sure there are many people in need of more urgent solutions
You should be entitled to a full refund for the cash flights because of the huge change. I would try a phone call - queues seems to have diminished in the last day or 2.
Not so hopeful for the Avios flights, but these have quite generous cancellation terms anyway. In any event, I would hold off as these are quite likely to be cancelled or changed at some point.
sparkzilla likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I assume I now have to call these clowns and tell them to shove their voucher and send me back my $? Why do I ever book anything on this awful airline? When will I learn.
You have a certain 'way' with words. You really ought to heed your own advice and stop putting yourself through the trauma of dealing with British Airways.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by peter h
I haven't been in the position to request a refund yet, but I saw this on another web forum earlier today. I can't vouch for it personally, but the post has had some replies saying that it had worked:

Edit - beaten to it by a couple of poster!
Just got this to work !
peter h likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:51 am
Suspended

unfortunately if you have applied for the voucher it's very unlikely it can be changed retrospectively but a word of advice when calling to see if anything can be done maybe a change of attitude than that posts comes across and hopefully they might be able to Help you rectify the mistake you made
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawk777
unfortunately if you have applied for the voucher it's very unlikely it can be changed retrospectively but a word of advice when calling to see if anything can be done maybe a change of attitude than that posts comes across and hopefully they might be able to Help you rectify the mistake you made
I didn't "apply" for a voucher. The button said "Cancel/Refund" then once clicked redirected to a screen confirming a voucher. That's BA lying. I will call my credit card co and charge back if BA don't provide a refund for a flight they cancelled. There was no "mistake," just outright lying from BA.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Just got this to work !
I’ve just used the JavaScript workaround too and successfully requested a refund for a cancelled flight on 5th April. I’ve also received the refund confirmation email!

Thank you peter h
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:38 am
Suspended

I didn't "apply" for a voucher. The button said "Cancel/Refund" then once clicked redirected to a screen confirming a voucher. That's BA lying. I will call my credit card co and charge back if BA don't provide a refund for a flight they cancelled. There was no "mistake," just outright lying from BA.
On the booking I've just cancelled via voucher for myself it made it clear it was a voucher refund to be used within the next 12 months, even had to tick a box to agree to conditions of the voucher. But good luck with the charge back
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
That's BA lying
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hawk777
On the booking I've just cancelled via voucher for myself it made it clear it was a voucher refund to be used within the next 12 months, even had to tick a box to agree to conditions of the voucher. But good luck with the charge back
Good for you, that's not how my screen went. Already processed the chargeback.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well, my one data point I have is I had s cancellation notice last week and 3 days later I received this email with no intervention from myself:

Booking reference:

Dear

We are contacting you about your upcoming British Airways Holidays trip to MONTREAL.

As you may already be aware, your travel dates and destination have been affected by measures introduced in response to coronavirus COVID-19. We are sorry to advise that this means we are unable to provide your British Airways Holidays arrangements as originally booked.

We are currently receiving exceptionally high call volumes as a result of this, and are very sorry if you have been unable to contact us by phone. If you have already been in touch with us to rearrange your travel plans, thank you for your patience, and please disregard this message.

We will be processing a full refund of your British Airways Holidays. This will be returned to your original payment card within the next 7 - 10 days, but may take a few more days to show on your statement. We will endeavour to process the refund sooner than this but due to the unprecedented volumes of affected bookings it will take some time to work through these. Thank you for your understanding. If your original payment card has expired, or the account is closed, the refund will still be processed as normal due to banking requirements. You should contact your card provider if you have any queries about how the refund will reach you.

Until the refund is processed the booking will display as live in Manage My Booking. If you have already been in touch to arrange alternative plans, these will remain in place.

If you have already selected the option on ba.com to cancel your booking and receive a voucher for the same value, today's email supercedes this. We realise a full refund offers you maximum flexibility now that we are unable to provide your holiday as planned. You do not need to contact us if you have already opted for a voucher as we will process a refund instead. We hope this reassures you of our continued commitment to put our customers at the heart of our business and that you will trust us with your future travel.

Prepaid seating refunds can be requested using this claims form, Please mention that your booking was cancelled due to COVID-19 when submitting your form.

When you are ready to rethink your plans, we have introduced additional flexibility so you can book with total confidence. This includes the removal of change fees for new bookings and low deposits on package holidays. You can find the full details here.

We are very sorry that your trip has been affected in this way but look forward to assisting with your future travel plans.

British Airways Holidays

This message is private and confidential and may also be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, please email it back to the sender and immediately permanently delete it from your computer system. Please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. British Airways may monitor email traffic data and also the content of emails, where permitted by law, for the purposes of security and staff training and in order to prevent or detect unauthorised use of the British Airways email system. Virus checking of emails (including attachments) is the responsibility of the recipient. British Airways Plc is a public limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 1777777. Registered office: Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton, Middlesex, England, UB7 0GB. Additional terms and conditions are available on our website: www.ba.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.