FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LGW deserted except... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2013929-lgw-deserted-except.html)

aristoph Mar 22, 2020 2:55 am

LGW deserted except...

Just landed with BA from BGI. Not surprisingly the airport is deserted, until you get to baggage reclaim where they have crammed all arriving flights into the same corner at belts 6,7 and 8 and so there is the usual crowd of people milling about and pushing past each other. ...?? I strongly suspect this was done either for the convenience or cost saving of Gatwick airport. Not cool guys.

SKT-DK Mar 22, 2020 3:02 am

So much for encouraging social distancing... :td:

Young82 Mar 22, 2020 3:02 am

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 32217577)
Just landed with BA from BGI. Not surprisingly the airport is deserted, until you get to baggage reclaim where they have crammed all arriving flights into the same corner at belts 6,7 and 8 and so there is the usual crowd of people milling about and pushing past each other. ...?? I strongly suspect this was done either for the convenience or cost saving of Gatwick airport. Not cool guys.

Doesn’t sound like minimum of 2 metre social distancing to me? That’s the Governments advice. Report / shame Gatwick then.

Traveller2 Mar 22, 2020 4:10 am

You were lucky the baggage belts had power. GAL have been turning off escalators and travelators to save money.

Some of their toilets (new pier gates 1-6) don’t even have soap dispensers so people can wash their hands properly.

London’s third world airport.

Obruni Boy Mar 22, 2020 6:07 am

deleted

florens Mar 22, 2020 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy (Post 32217883)
(GAL) Edward G. Pitka Sr. Airport located in Galena, a city in the Yukon, Alaska?

I think GAL = Gatwick Airport Limited

ahmetdouas Mar 22, 2020 6:10 am

And they want to be London's premier airport? Good luck with that, I avoid Gatwick even during nomal OPS!

Dan Son Mar 22, 2020 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 32217892)
And they want to be London's premier airport? Good luck with that, I avoid Gatwick even during nomal OPS!

A lot of Gatwick bashing here. Compared to Luton or Stansted; I’d say we have a 5 star airport with LGW.

navylad Mar 22, 2020 6:38 am

Whichever belt you put the luggage, it won’t stop people breaching the social distancing instruction, all we can do is be responsible as individuals, avoid flying unless absolutely essential and maintain as much distance as possible and wash hands whenever possible. Indeed I would use alcohol wipes on luggage if you had to travel at the moment and wash your hands before leaving the baggage hall.

Peter_S Mar 22, 2020 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Traveller2 (Post 32217694)
You were lucky the baggage belts had power. GAL have been turning off escalators and travelators to save money.

Some of their toilets (new pier gates 1-6) don’t even have soap dispensers so people can wash their hands properly.

London’s third world airport.

Heathrow T3 was exactly the same on Wednesday morning...I landed at 06:15, and there’d been a few flights before ours. Luggage was on consecutive belts. I only had hand luggage fortunately! I used the toilets in the baggage hall though, before going over to pick up the car, and watched someone who’d been in F leave without washing their hands!!

Sharratt4 Mar 22, 2020 6:53 am

I know what you are saying is correct and in an ideal world of course separated belts would be used, but, please cut the guys handling these bags some slack. They are almost certainly short staffed (self isolation / redundancies etc) and are working hard for us not for themselves. They probably also are working with the fact that in the next few days / weeks they will be out of a job.

So can we cut them some slack, this was, I would bet my house just them not having the time to think about these things and just wanting to get the job done as quickly as possible.

Please don’t forget to be kind!

Fatdickie Mar 22, 2020 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Dan Son (Post 32217900)
A lot of Gatwick bashing here. Compared to Luton or Stansted; I’d say we have a 5 star airport with LGW.

Yep

Love LGW here as well

rockflyertalk Mar 22, 2020 7:44 am

GAL could thought about putting an unused belt between each baggage belt. Another measure would have been to put a larger distance between each bag. Also signs for pax to keep distances between each other at the belt.

I see other businesses large and small putting in measures for CV-19, why not LGW?!

Peter_S Mar 22, 2020 10:10 am

Spreading the bags out would work if people also managed to take them off at the same rate as well, but you’ll always see the some bags that go round and round, so I’m not sure how they get the rest of the bags out? If anything, it’d mean people in close proximity to each other for longer as baggage collection would take longer. Given they’ve just spent 13 hours in a metal tube with the same people, I’m not convinced the baggage hall is the riskiest part of the journey...

AmaaiZeg Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 32218076)
GAL could thought about putting an unused belt between each baggage belt. Another measure would have been to put a larger distance between each bag. Also signs for pax to keep distances between each other at the belt.

I see other businesses large and small putting in measures for CV-19, why not LGW?!

Do you think pax were sitting 2m apart on the plane?