Wiki Posts
Search

Transit in DXB from BA to CX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
Transit in DXB from BA to CX

Hi everyone, my parents are taking the route LHR - DXB (BA in J) and then DXB to HKG (CX in J) with 10 hours layover time. The ticket is under the same PNR both using Terminal 1. They will stay inside the secured area and booked the airport hotel airside at Terminal 3. The hotel however advised that

"...BA passengers are obliged to collect the luggage which means they also have to cross Customs and Immigration..."

Anyone knows if this is correct or have experience taking BA transiting via DXB? I thought it was Oneworld's policy that under the same PNR all checked baggage will be sent to final destination and passengers were not required to go through Customs and recheck baggage? Given the current quarantine requirement for all arriving passengers at DXB, it is impossible for them to go through Dubai Custom and Immigration.

I am new to Flyertalk and please accept my apologies if similar questions have been raised. Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:10 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I would speak to the dnata transfer desk when your parents get there. I think they transfer your baggage for a fee without you having to go landside. Can't remember the exact price.

Alternatively, pre-book a Marhaba / Ahlan service for 300dh to guarantee a smooth transfer. Check in all the luggage under one person in LHR to only pay one person's fees. (the other person can probably tag along, or if not, just do an airside transfer as hand baggage only).

In either case, I would take pictures of the bag at check-in at LHR to show the transfer desk/Marhaba service, I've used a similar tactic in other airports and it really helps the baggage handlers find your luggage.

For the hotel in Terminal 3, they will need to go to the transfer desk to get on the shuttle from T1 to T3. Bear in mind it's about a 30 minute drive each way (as they pass by T2 first). 10 hours isn't ideal, but personally I would get the baggage transferred then hole up in the T1 Ahlan Business lounge -- there are shower facilities & recliners, although there's no fully flat beds. The food is slightly better in the T3 htoel, however personally I'm not sure the worth the hassle of getting there and back.

Am I correct in assuming this is a BA 105 --> CX 746 transfer?

Edit to add: Please also ensure that if your parents are thinking of using HKID to enter HK, make sure they also bring along HK passport. Terminal 1 staff have nearly denied my boarding once before when I brought only HKID to the airport without my accompanying HK passport.
HKG1841 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
I would speak to the dnata transfer desk when your parents get there. I think they transfer your baggage for a fee without you having to go landside. Can't remember the exact price.
They shouldn't need to do this is if the luggage is already checked through by BA, which it should be on one PNR. The advice from the hotel is likely generic advice given on the basis that BA (a) does not through-check on separate tickets and (b) does not have many genuine through-ticketed pax going via DXB. But the OP's ticket is an exception to that (presumably one booked with miles).

(Others please correct me if I'm wrong and there is something unique about BA incoming procedures at DXB.)
HKG1841 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you both - your advice is super helpful! Yes it is BA 105 --> CX 746 redeemed by miles (ironically we can't find any reasonably priced tickets for sale but were able to redeem). Will ask them to ensure BA checking through the luggage to HK directly. If for some reason BA is unable to do so I will use the dnata service per BA Humbug's advice.

Will also ask them to be aware of the travel document issue - anyway they hold UK passport and HKID and I hope it is not a problem.

Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Be very careful here, this is all very complicated.

Make sure the baggage is checked through. Nobody (other that UAE Nationals) can enter Dubai at the moment. If they arrive and need to get their baggage, this won't be possible.

As for the hotel, it's going to be difficult to get from T3 back to T1. As they'll be in the departures area of T3, they'll need to back-track the wrong way through transit security to join the arrivals flow. Then they'll need to get to the transit area to get the bus back to T1. They'll need to clear security both ways.
Duck1981, HKG1841 and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA - in a normal world - won’t through check in any circumstances. You might get a waiver given the extraordinary circumstances but for peace of mind I’d prebook Marhaba.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignore me 😆.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Ignore me 😆.
So you agree that BA will be able to check through under same PNR? I have never encountered such situation before (and BA is not responding) and all inputs are welcome.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by HKG1841
So you agree that BA will be able to check through under same PNR? I have never encountered such situation before (and BA is not responding) and all inputs are welcome.
They *should* be able to as long as it's on one ticket number (which it probably is, as you've said one PNR).
HKG1841 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:59 am

PS.... Have a look at the Ahlan service :-

https://www.ahlan-dia.com/

It appears that they have a "transit" service that covers T1 to T3, and I assume T3 back to T1.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks - yes the airport hotel already approached them for the meet and greet service as part of the hotel package. As long as the bags can check through it should be alright.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:15 am
Suspended

Please double check the DXB transfer policy. I heard someone being denied boarding with BA today doing the same routing. It is said the transfit policy in DXB changed and no longer permitting this route. I can't verify this but someone on another forum is seeking help now as BA denied boarding quoting DXB policy change.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Please double check the DXB transfer policy. I heard someone being denied boarding with BA today doing the same routing. It is said the transfit policy in DXB changed and no longer permitting this route. I can't verify this but someone on another forum is seeking help now as BA denied boarding quoting DXB policy change.
I'd suggest that this was a mistake by BA. There have not been any reports on the EK forums of passengers being denied transit, and the following link doesn't mention it (and is up to date) :-

https://www.dubaiairports.ae/alert/l...vid-19-update-
HKG1841 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Poster

OMG any chance you could provide the link of the forum post you read on this?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:02 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by HKG1841
OMG any chance you could provide the link of the forum post you read on this?
Whether or not the former is true (since it relies on a third-hand account), you will need to monitor the case closely until departure as the situation is rapidly evolving and changing; the UAE can unilaterally decide to change the rules and this route could no longer be viable.

The good thing about being on one PNR though, is that they do have to figure out alternative means of transport for your parents.
HKG1841 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.