FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Where and Why are People Still Flying? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2013847-where-why-people-still-flying.html)

rapidex Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 32216061)
Please follow the STAY HOME campaign

Social isolation is for a reason

Those still flying are costing lives

We are about to go up the Italy curve in London

Not all of them. Young rapidex is about to start dashing round in a chinook protecting the hospital oxygen supplies.

Raffles Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Virgin is going to continue Antigua flights - no entry restrictions and people still want to get away it seems. Only other routes will be NYC, LAX and HKG.

allturnleft Mar 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 32216152)
Not all of them. Young rapidex is about to start dashing round in a chinook protecting the hospital oxygen supplies.

Good chap ; Ill grant you an exception :-)

Prospero Mar 21, 2020 4:44 pm

You are right, of course. I’ve been in social isolation for more than a week and went stir crazy yesterday, when I booked the day return. I am weak, I fell to temptation. In my defence, today’s experience was surreal. Both Gatwick and Schiphol were so peaceful and well, havens of isolation. Amsterdam centraal was much the same.

LondonElite Mar 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by KLBGO (Post 32215746)
I would love to fly now, but governments are competing to put people in a quarantine. Sad to see they ruining almost every local ecenomy across the globe.

Are you aware of what’s going on?

13901 Mar 21, 2020 4:53 pm

And yet... today there were people training with their PT in Chiswick, lots of elderly about for their shopping, open cafés and even Waterstones. Places like Bergamo, Brescia and others where locals rubbished the idea of lockdown are paying the price for it with even starker restrictions. We aren't learning.

Speedbird676 Mar 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 32215787)
Well I don't think they have much choice. We've got to get this thing contained somehow.

It's unfortunate the UK are still not doing any screening on arriving passengers.

nufnuf77 Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird676 (Post 32216427)
It's unfortunate the UK are still not doing any screening on arriving passengers.

i am sorry but there is no point when you have anywhere between 20-100k infected people in the country going about their daily lives with indifference

allturnleft Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 32216367)
And yet... today there were people training with their PT in Chiswick, lots of elderly about for their shopping, open cafés and even Waterstones. Places like Bergamo, Brescia and others where locals rubbished the idea of lockdown are paying the price for it with even starker restrictions. We aren't learning.

Think it takes a while for realism to settle in; Italians describe the same process of initial denial and disbelief . Its hard to make sense of it all. Its just the sheer volume of sick people presenting to hospitals which is the issue. People don’t want to have to compromise their lifestyle, they grab onto anything of quality that is left. Italy have only just closed parks

Some countries have banned flights in and out. I note in Guernsey they suddenly have a few cases and flights are still operating . You can see the impact a few cases could have on a small
island like that and yet people are flying in and out the whole time. (How is it in Jersey?)

Raffles mentions Antigua still having flights a few posts up
; poor Antigua! The carribean is one of the last areas of low case count

mtofell Mar 21, 2020 5:22 pm

I think there is always some amount of people traveling for family emergencies and things like that. Or, companies finally deciding to pull workers home from a project. Also, there is probably lots of moving around medial people, government workers and the all the essential services related things. I just can't imagine that they will totally close down all domestic travel unless things get a lot worse.

Speedbird676 Mar 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 32216439)
i am sorry but there is no point when you have anywhere between 20-100k infected people in the country going about their daily lives with indifference

This was in response to governments (not ours) quarantining passengers.

Yes, for us there is little point right now. However, we'd likely not be in the position we're in had there been effective screening and contact tracing in the initial stages.

There will need to be arrival screening and potential quarantine once the local epidemic is under control to prevent reintroduction of the virus from outside. It is better to get that implemented ahead of time but there is currently no plan for that to be implemented.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 32216329)
Both Gatwick and Schiphol were so peaceful and well, havens of isolation. Amsterdam centraal was much the same.

You were not alone.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bc08d49005.jpg

Confus Mar 21, 2020 5:58 pm

But why, how, if we’re not allowed to go out and do anything?

tom tulpe Mar 21, 2020 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Confus (Post 32216544)
But why, how, if we’re not allowed to go out and do anything?

Er... because incubation time is 4-14 days? Because people are openly flouting isolation orders? Because the Tube, where it still runs, is packed?

northeastflyer Mar 21, 2020 7:24 pm

At this stage, what necessities essential travel?

I can't help wondering who is travelling on especially domestic flights at this point onwards. Essential travel only? I'm not sure some people know what that really means currently. Where does people travelling via airports at the moment support social distancing in any respect? It really doesn't. Maybe it's time for some to really consider what is absolutely essential in order to protect everyone that little bit more?

Given that there seems to be a train of thought that BA may only either solely or largely operate domestics soon, surely there needs to be more formal restrictions on who can travel, otherwise people are free to turn up to travel without any other reason other than they are booked for a purpose that may have previously been non essential.

P. S. I was booked to fly NCL LHR today. I applied for an e-voucher, around a week ago. Flight was never cancelled. I'm a no show, we'll sort of. Strange times 🤔