Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Greedy BA [I cancelled my ticket, BA won’t refund ancillary fees]

Greedy BA [I cancelled my ticket, BA won’t refund ancillary fees]

Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Sydneyjb
I was to fly BA to Geneva on March 3 for the Geneva Auto show. The show was cancelled due to the Corona virus. I had a slight challenge getting American Airlines not to charge me the Award redeposit fee. But getting BA to refund my $390 for my bussines class seats has fallen on deaf ear. They Don't care!!! I tried talking to a supervisor twice, it's worse than talking to a brick wall. How GREEDY,

Any suggestions ? Right now $390 to me and most people on this planet is a lot of money. Plesse help !
Am I missing something ? I had an award reservation similar to the OP's, a RT on BA from Paris to Larnaca (Cyprus) via LHR. All I did was call AA, THEY cancelled the reservation for me, (no redeposit fee, I am OW Emerald) and refunded the taxes, very easily.. What are these $ 390 ? It seems an awful lot for selecting seats in the Business cabin (how many passengers ?).

I am not sure about the OP's chances of getting such supplementary purchases refunded, BUT it is painfully obvious to me that BA has had an atrocious behaviour in this crisis, far worse than AY, AF/KL, DL or AA (I never thought I would ever write this about AA). They have been procrastinating on every aspect of the process and displayed the utmost ill will up to a point of obscenity. It was a complete pain to make them volunteer exchange vouchers after everyone else had shown flexibility, and even now when they HAVE TO refund passengers for their own flight cancellations, their website still takes you to a voucher page, thus forcing to contact them by phone with long waits.

If and when we survive this crisis, something one should not take for granted, my own attitude towards BA in the future will be to stay away from them as much as possible. Judging by the forums, I shall not be the only one. The US airlines, by comparison, have been surprisingly flexible and generous.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Am I missing something ? I had an award reservation similar to the OP's, a RT on BA from Paris to Larnaca (Cyprus) via LHR. All I did was call AA, THEY cancelled the reservation for me, (no redeposit fee, I am OW Emerald) and refunded the taxes, very easily.. What are these $ 390 ? It seems an awful lot for selecting seats in the Business cabin (how many passengers ?).

I am not sure about the OP's chances of getting such supplementary purchases refunded, BUT it is painfully obvious to me that BA has had an atrocious behaviour in this crisis, far worse than AY, AF/KL, DL or AA (I never thought I would ever write this about AA). They have been procrastinating on every aspect of the process and displayed the utmost ill will up to a point of obscenity. It was a complete pain to make them volunteer exchange vouchers after everyone else had shown flexibility, and even now when they HAVE TO refund passengers for their own flight cancellations, their website still takes you to a voucher page, thus forcing to contact them by phone with long waits.

If and when we survive this crisis, something one should not take for granted, my own attitude towards BA in the future will be to stay away from them as much as possible. Judging by the forums, I shall not be the only one. The US airlines, by comparison, have been surprisingly flexible and generous.
What you are missing is that BA charges non status holders for seat reservations, making it very clear that these are not refundable if you don’t fly.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What you are missing is that BA charges non status holders for seat reservations, making it very clear that these are not refundable if you don’t fly.
Still, $ 390 seems like an awful lot for seats unless they were a group, which I haven't seen.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OP paid for it so he must have thought it had value...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Still, $ 390 seems like an awful lot for seats unless they were a group, which I haven't seen.
390$ for flights to/from Geneva is very high unless I've read the post wrong and it includes transatlantic flights seat selection if it's just Geneva LHR it's for more than 1 person, if its including transatlantic flights then that's about the going rate
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:52 pm

Bottom line :

It's called good customer service. Which airline do you think I will fly to Europe next year when this is over??? Of course American, they saw the exception and made it right for the customer, who will return the favor. BA WAS JUST FOLLOWING THE RULES. They had Zero compassion !

FYI : Even before this crisis if a similar cancellation situation came up, depending on the mind set of the Airline, Hotel , or Car, if you ask nicely , they will want your business back !
It doesn't matter who you fly with. The revenue is shared on the transatlantic joint venture so any booking provides revenue to all the airlines.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rapidex
It doesn't matter who you fly with. The revenue is shared on the transatlantic joint venture so any booking provides revenue to all the airlines.
Yes, but continuously reevaluated in terms of traffic share for each carrier. A drop in passengers for a single carrier within the JV would precipitate a drop in that carriers share of the revenue.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Yes, but continuously reevaluated in terms of traffic share for each carrier. A drop in passengers for a single carrier within the JV would precipitate a drop in that carriers share of the revenue.
I appreciate that, but the OP wishes to punish BA for perceived wrong doing. Changing carrier within the Joint Venture is unlikely to achieve that aim. To punish BA the OP must change alliances.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Again, he's not asking for the refund of the ticket. It's the seat fees.

Think about it this way. As it stands, I guess the OP will never use BA again. However, if BA were to offer a voucher for the seat fees, then maybe that would be an incentive to book another BA flight in the future.
sorry... probably the jet lag from this week, trying to get back from India..
but I understand that BA has never refunded seat fees in general.. it would be nice if BA were to be understanding about this , but they are a business, and that is why they continue to change passengers booking in CW, $$$ for seats, unless
the passenger has status...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by fotographer
but I understand that BA has never refunded seat fees in general..
When the first tranche of cancellation options came up for Hong Kong flights, I was still just out with the window for full refunds on my reward flight. I could have cancelled, and have lost my £35 each plus the seat selection fees I had paid, (far greater than what the OP has lost).
I had to wait until the window covered my dates before I got every penny back. If that window had never came, I'd have been out of luck, and had to swallow the cost. That's life.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
It's allocated based on the marketing code, no?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
It's allocated based on the marketing code, no?
My understanding it is based on the ratio of seats flown.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

$390

The $390 was 2 over the water flights and 2 inter Euorope flights roundtrip ( Business Class ) $195 each way ! One passenger
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Wow, can’t believe I’m reading this. Whilst this was 3 weeks ago the advice now is stay at home save lives and the world has come to a gridlock.

Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing quoting t&c whilst is technically right at this time but doesn’t seem within the spirit of this situation.

I personally would tweet BA and say disappoinTed that I decided to #stayathome (use that hashtag as that’s the one with this advice) and whilst AA cancelled your ticket you are disappointed to lose $390 in seat fees and see what they say.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The $390 was 2 over the water flights and 2 inter Euorope flights roundtrip ( Business Class ) $195 each way ! One passenger
I guess that probably broke down to something like $160 for the TATL and $35 for the short hop over to GVA.

Now I understand your annoyance with this, but as others have pointed out in terms of switching carriers you’re really not going to hurt BA. You don’t have the volume of oneworld traffic either that would be a concern to any airline if they lost it - because if you did you’d be at least oneworld ruby and therefore you’d qualify for free seat selection at T-7, or at point of booking for Sapphire or above.

You can’t win now - BA has absolutely zero incentive to back down, and far bigger issues to wrestle with. You may get some tea and sympathy here, but ultimately we all make choices. Yours was the right one for you at the time, but it came with consequences as well. Sometimes we don’t get dealt the hand we’d like.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.