Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What do crew do if they suspect coronavirus?

Old Mar 19, 20, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I flew back from the States last week, 1A for the first time. I was very tired so fell asleep almost immediately. In my (inevitably light) sleep I was aware of someone coughing repeatedly during the flight. I believe seated in 3K.

On landing, I was waiting by the luggage belt and I could hear the familiar dry coughing and saw a passenger, sitting well away from where everyone was waiting for luggage. As the bags came out, he came and stood next to me, so I moved away and he looked a bit sheepish, still coughing. Whilst I understand his desire to get back to the UK, is he not potentially putting other pax at risk? and their families?

Given the current climate, would crew not have isolated someone exhibiting one of the more common symptoms of the virus? or even offloaded - we waited on the ground for some time, though he was one of the last to board. Crew even made the "Public Health Announcement" as we came in to land. Cabin Ĺ empty so would not have been hard. Or am I being too harsh? Do crew have any obligation to report someone with such a contagious disease? Would BA contact me if they had?
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 2358 View Post
I flew back from the States last week, 1A for the first time. I was very tired so fell asleep almost immediately. In my (inevitably light) sleep I was aware of someone coughing repeatedly during the flight. I believe seated in 3K.

On landing, I was waiting by the luggage belt and I could hear the familiar dry coughing and saw a passenger, sitting well away from where everyone was waiting for luggage. As the bags came out, he came and stood next to me, so I moved away and he looked a bit sheepish, still coughing. Whilst I understand his desire to get back to the UK, is he not potentially putting other pax at risk? and their families?

Given the current climate, would crew not have isolated someone exhibiting one of the more common symptoms of the virus? or even offloaded - we waited on the ground for some time, though he was one of the last to board. Crew even made the "Public Health Announcement" as we came in to land. Cabin Ĺ empty so would not have been hard. Or am I being too harsh? Do crew have any obligation to report someone with such a contagious disease? Would BA contact me if they had?
its a tricky situation. My brothers wife coughing since October last year, went to doctors and they are saying various things but she is still coughing. I believe in normal circumstances anyone cough once nobody would notice. Todayís climate it is different.
I donít know where to draw lines who should and shouldnít travel. There are cases where people deliberately travelling even with a COVID-19 positive tests. So the spectrum is wide and the solution is difficult. I donít know what I would do however we should be a bit more tolerant and trusts others for their common sense.
BTW my brothers wife doesnít fly currently.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I feel very sorry for people with a range of coughing problems who are now treated as if they are trying to conceal a scratch from a zombie.
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You get hyper-sensitive to coughing when flying at the moment - I've stopped completely now but I had a few flights a week or so back. One of them was someone with hayfever, I spoke to him afterwards. Another just had a heavy cold. The key seems to be the combination with temperature, which can be picked up, but any cough may or may not be CV19, I think if you're in a risk group you'd be better off not flying at all, and if not you do need to be circumspect after arriving and avoiding contact with others as much as you can, cleaning hands and avoiding touching your face and so on.
Old Mar 19, 20, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We all have a responsibility, if you see something that concerns you please tell someone, they should then do likewise.
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
People's reactions can be funny, I went for a routine blood test the last week, had some time before where I needed to be next so bobbed into Tesco's cafe for a brew and a bite.

I wondered why e,ven while the cafe was busy, the tables around me were empty and people seemed to be avoiding them. It's only when I went to put my fleece back on I realised that cotton wool ball micropored to the inside of my elbow was visible......
squawk, AJA_, SKRan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have an allergy to mould that gets set off if someone with a bit od mould on their clothing walks past me, and it can lead to breathing difficulties if there is enough of it. Some of the time, I can smell it and guard against it before they get close to me but I do worry that I may be misidentified as suffering from covid-19, cold or the flu.

To make it worse, once it's set off, dust and anything that might irritate me can set it off too. Evil

A good case for PM 2.5 masks
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
People's reactions can be funny, I went for a routine blood test the last week, had some time before where I needed to be next so bobbed into Tesco's cafe for a brew and a bite.

I wondered why e,ven while the cafe was busy, the tables around me were empty and people seemed to be avoiding them. It's only when I went to put my fleece back on I realised that cotton wool ball micropored to the inside of my elbow was visible......
Haha, funny. I'd have mistaken you for a kind person who donated blood!
Old Mar 19, 20, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
Was on CX flight from Hokkaido several weeks ago (just as Covid 19 state of emergency declared). There was a visibly sick child who boarded, Staff took his temperature, it was elevated, they sought advice from HQ as to what to do. Eventually the family was off-loaded . Prudent. Safer for the rest of the passengers and crew. Nowadays, everyone's temperature should be screened before boarding, and those who are sick shouldn't be allowed to fly. One would hope that people wouldn't even try, given that it endangers the rest of the plane, but in the present environment, people are selfish. That's why people land at HK Airport with a fever and go straight to hospital. After endangering the whole plane. If there is a confirmed case, airline must make an effort to contact everyone. There are lists of flights with infection. It's a lot of extra work due to someone's selfish & cavalier behavior. Crew should be pro-active and if they are not, perhaps passengers should be.
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I thought that pilots had to report to ? ATC if any passengers on board were ill so the flight could be met and screened

It is possible that the cabin crew did speak to the cougher and he gave an explanation that excluded them being infectious.

Lots of non infectious conditions lead to a dry cough. And some medications have it as a side effect.
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:30 am

Programs: BA
I was on such a flight 1 month ago. What the crew did at that time was put a mask on that person, report the person and situation (and other information I presume) to Port Health Authority which probably did a risk assessment. We were not given permission for a while after parking up to open our door, the time which I presume that PHA is considering what to do. The person was let off the plane, with the mask on, I do not know what happens after. No dragging off the plane by Hazmat suited staff.

The flight I was on also had an unusually high number of OAPs in wheelchairs, quite possibly cruise ship pax, and the timing fits with the MS Westerdam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51542241

All these information was reported to Public Health Scotland (I was told to contact them by my manager when I attempt to return to work) and I was ordered to serve a 14 days home quarantine. Are they related or not? I will never know.
Old Mar 20, 20, 3:39 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I have an allergy to mould that gets set off if someone with a bit od mould on their clothing walks past me, and it can lead to breathing difficulties if there is enough of it. Some of the time, I can smell it and guard against it before they get close to me but I do worry that I may be misidentified as suffering from covid-19, cold or the flu.

To make it worse, once it's set off, dust and anything that might irritate me can set it off too. Evil

A good case for PM 2.5 masks
Last month, I was in SGP with my wife drinking coffee. She has an acid reflex problem where the acid from her stomach will rise and irritate her throat and cause her to cough. So she started coughing at this coffeeshop and 4 women whom were sitting behind her started moving away. I saw this and said loudly "So how was your holiday to China?", and these women literally ran away. A relative who was also with us nearly fell off her chair laughing.
CharlotteC and markm1980 like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:17 am

How do you find the list of flights with recorded infection please? We both had a nasty flu like bug 2 days after a flight with a few people coughing near us, it was weeks ago before it all really kicked off so we dismissed it. But would be interesting to know if we have had it for many reasons, especially when the antibody testing starts.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
I feel very sorry for people with a range of coughing problems who are now treated as if they are trying to conceal a scratch from a zombie.
I get sinusitis several times a year which makes me cough when it is at the end, today people look at you as if you are the Devil if you cough. That said I donít have any other symptoms and take my temperature every day... all you can do
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:23 am
Suspended

Do what Asian people do, wear a face mask if you are worried.

I know some people on this forum would say it does not work or it does not help etc. But the reality is that the community infection in mask wearing nation like Taiwan and Japan is still relatively lower.

More important, it may make you feel safer and take less notice of people coughing around you.

If it was me, I would even suggest the guy coughing around you to consider wearing a face mask.
alvinlwh and hessbo like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: