FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Covid-19 : All BA LCY flights suspended 23 March - 4 April Inclusive (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2013628-covid-19-all-ba-lcy-flights-suspended-23-march-4-april-inclusive.html)

Hawk777 Mar 19, 2020 10:00 am

Covid-19 : All BA LCY flights suspended 23 March - 4 April Inclusive

We're temporarily suspending flights to or from London City Airport (LCY) between Monday 23 March and Saturday 04 April.

In light of the current circumstances, we are moving customers due to fly on British Airways flights to or from London City Airport on to services operating to or from London Heathrow or London Gatwick, between Monday 23 March and Saturday 04 April. We are contacting customers to discuss their options.

Misco60 Mar 19, 2020 10:19 am

I've had a few flights from LCY cancelled even though they were towards the end of April.

There was no suggestion that BA would rebook me onto other services: they simply provided me with a link to MMB, which in turn only offers a voucher for the cancelled service.

Trent900 Mar 19, 2020 10:25 am

23rd-4th inclusive?

Hawk777 Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Trent900 (Post 32207097)
23rd-4th inclusive?

yes inclusive

Joeykins Mar 19, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32207071)
I've had a few flights from LCY cancelled even though they were towards the end of April.

There was no suggestion that BA would rebook me onto other services: they simply provided me with a link to MMB, which in turn only offers a voucher for the cancelled service.

I've had the same. I always opt for the approach of "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" and my guess here is that in their haste to get the voucher rebooking system online and reduce call volumes, someone in BA's web team has redirected ALL cancellation clickthroughs in to the voucher page since that way no-one is going to be calling up and screaming that they've only been refunded taxes & fees. Up until the mass cancellation of flights that made sense, but now there's a load of people who are eligible for refunds who can only get their money back by calling up. I'm parking the whole thing for now; my booking was Avios and a 241 voucher (plus the reward flight saver component), I know I'll get it all back and I'm not exactly in a rush so I'm leaving the phone lines clear and I'll just periodically check in on the website to see if the cancel & refund option has been sorted out without the voucher intercept happening.

flatlander Mar 19, 2020 10:52 am

That's not good news for the crews and staff at BACF. Are they still being paid?

Hawk777 Mar 19, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 32207239)
That's not good news for the crews and staff at BACF. Are they still being paid?

I'm guessing here but probably as per the contract of payment but flight crew rely on flying pay as well.

hard to find anything out from other departments at moment as BA from midnight last night took the decision to take our cross platform communication on yammer down which was a valuable pool of information on all sorts for staff.

The ba reason was due to misinformation being given out on it 're corona virus the conspiracy theories are due to it being so when the expected bad news appears 're staff there is no inter company group for it to be discussed

flatlander Mar 19, 2020 12:27 pm

That's what they make private Whatsapp groups for :)

Hawk777 Mar 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 32207603)
That's what they make private Whatsapp groups for :)

but they are hard to make for an entire company the size of ba when you get given a few hours notice of closure if the normal groups. Especially due to the amount of different yammer groups there was as well as all company one

rockflyertalk Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm

This would fall in line with the TFL reductions and closures across London

rjhcambs Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Do you know if this includes the BA but Loganair operated flights to Ronaldsway IoM.? My booking still showing LCY. If moved to LHR will be my first prop flight (Saab2000) from Lhr for many decades!

fruitcage Mar 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Very sorry for all staff and pax involved, but I have to say 4th April seems a very short hiatus, given the general situation and that IAG have already said they are cutting 75% of flights for April and May

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 32207650)
Very sorry for all staff and pax involved, but I have to say 4th April seems a very short hiatus, given the general situation and that IAG have already said they are cutting 75% of flights for April and May

I have the same thought. PM said it will take us 12 weeks to fight the virus under the best possible outcome, April seemed to be way too early to go back to normal. I would say the first week of May is more likely.

Misco60 Mar 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 32207683)
April seemed to be way too early to go back to normal. I would say the first week of May is more likely.

I doubt very much that airline schedules will be "back to normal" before the summer, and wouldn't be surprised if it were next year.

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32207787)
I doubt very much that airline schedules will be "back to normal" before the summer, and wouldn't be surprised if it were next year.

Please define 'normal'.

To me, I used a loose term of normal, which means anything but not the current situation.

I think there is a chance of explosive outbound and inbound traffic after the situation back to ordinary as people would be confined too long, the first thing after prison is to enjoy the freedom to the max. I would say a recovery in end of May or June still have 50/50 chance. But by beginning of April, we would or we might have another opinion.