Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

In Thailand and trying to bring flight home forward

Old Mar 19, 20, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Silver, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott- lifetime Gold

Currently in Koh Samui and due to fly to BKK on 25/03 for the final 3 days of our trip.

Given the current state of play the last thing we want is 3 days in a city with the population of London, so looking to bring our flights forward 3 days from 28th to 25th..

No option to do this under MMB - I assume as we booked Business Lowest?

Been trying to call BA for 2 days to no avail - have been placed in the Silver queue several times but been cut off after several minutes wait.

Is there a better option for trying to contact them?

Also noted the “if your flight is in the next 72 hours” priority statement, but this causes a problem for us as we need to move 72 hours forward. Will BA apply common sense and deal with us if we get through?

Currently showing 30+ business seats free in the flight we are trying to move to which is even more frustrating....any advice welcome.

Thank you.
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:50 am

Friend got charged fare difference yesterday, moving his return Thailand to LHR flight out a few days due to non-corona sickness, no other fees charged. Call the 001 number.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
You could try a DM via Twitter. They answered mine with 12 hours.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mattspod View Post
Friend got charged fare difference yesterday, moving his return Thailand to LHR flight out a few days due to non-corona sickness, no other fees charged. Call the 001 number.
Can’t believe they are charging the fare difference to be honest. Just get people moved over if they’re travelling to get back within the 30 day FCO ban.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:08 am

Yeah I told him to complain when he gets back, but after days of trying to get through he just wanted something booked, the guy was apparently quite helpful although at one point he was quoted over 1000gbp fare difference and routing via Dublin.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Yeah I told him to complain when he gets back, but after days of trying to get through he just wanted something booked, the guy was apparently quite helpful although at one point he was quoted over 1000gbp fare difference and routing via Dublin.
I’ve just amended my April flights between Bangkok and London with Finnair to August (would’ve gone for Christmas if they allowed it but their COVID terms only allow up to 30 November) without any fare difference but did lose two online upgrades which I’m assuming will be refunded at some point.

I just hope everyone can get to where they need to be, that feeling of being stranded somewhere isn’t pleasant!

How are BA9/BA10 to BKK still operating without crew needing to quarantine? Do crew have an exemption?
Dambus and twincheeks like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:27 am
Original Poster

. Call the 001 number.
Thank you.

You wouldn’t be able to do a chap a massive favour and let me know what the 001 number is please?
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
How are BA9/BA10 to BKK still operating without crew needing to quarantine? Do crew have an exemption?
Think the Thais are saying travellers from the UK “are encouraged to self isolate” on arrival, so this probably doesn’t impact the Service currently?

BA wrote to me a couple of days ago and said my return flight booked for the 28th is scheduled as normal....at the moment 🤞
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by pastie321 View Post
Thank you.

You wouldn’t be able to do a chap a massive favour and let me know what the 001 number is please?
I think it was 001 800 4415 906 from google but it was from his phone so not sure. If you call the thai number after 5pm 02 014 7499 you get a recorded message which mentions the 001 number
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:44 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
No quarantine for UK arrivals currently
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:16 am

Can’t believe they are charging the fare difference to be honest. Just get people moved over if they’re travelling to get back within the 30 day FCO ban.
unfortunately at the moment it's a change you are requesting as flights not cancelled and operating so if any difference needs to be paid it has to be paid. No policy for a free part flown change as is the case with US and other destinations who have blocked UK entrants
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
If you departed before the FCO ban was enforced then there is no reason to rush back, travel insurance is valid etc.

I am currently in Thailand and we have decided to complete the trip as planned unless the UK / SG govt suggests otherwise. We are taking sensible precautions and we have easy access to food and drink etc. In fact my family will be bringing back essential medical and baby supplies that our wider family cannot currently obtain in the UK. I am hopeful by the time they arrive next week the situation is more calm there
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver HH Gold
We are in Koh Samui at the moment as well and are due to fly back to LHR via SIN next Thursday. BA emailed to let me know at the moment the SIN flight is still scheduled but I would not be surprised if SIN adds the UK to the no entry or transfer list in which case I would be looking for a switch to the BA flight from BKK.
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was in KS two days ago. I had a QR J ticket in the R bucket. Mine was ARN DOH BKK my wife had MAN DOH BKK. 560 TPs credited to my BAEC.
Decided to bail out early so booked PG 952 USM BKK (half full on Tues) and on arrival at BKK got rebooked. The afternoon DOH BKK flight was cancelled but plenty of space on the first evening flight. Lots of capacity onwards to ARN & MAN too. At ARN got my SAS flight rebooked to MAN. Direct flight cancelled but was able to get home via OSL. Oslo a ghost airport yesterday with most flights cancelled.

Its not the last chopper off the roof of the Saigon embassy stuff (yes I’m old - and apparently vulnerable too) but I wouldn’t want to be stranded at the moment even though it’s probably safer in a quiet corner of a Thai island than in the giant Petri dish that London will become if people won’t follow the science. Thai venues liberally dispensing alcohol gel and checking temperatures.

QR had unrestricted and fully refundable Y fares available to the UK OW at just over £1k.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wyddfa; Mar 19, 20 at 6:08 am
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I am always amazed. The Coronavirus-crisis did not just start yesterday. Who in his right mind started a Thailand trip in March?
brunos, passy777 and Amsterflyer like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: