Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

In Thailand and trying to bring flight home forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Thailand and trying to bring flight home forward

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Clearly, someone has read your post. The FCO advice is now:

Singapore has tightened restrictions on transit passengers. You will be permitted transit through Singapore as long as you do not have to clear immigration to complete your journey. If you are required to clear immigration you will be classed as having ‘arrived’ in Singapore and will automatically be issued with a 14-day Stay-Home Notice. This would require you to remain at a single address in Singapore for the whole 14 day period.

For example, you may need to clear immigration if you:
  • Need to collect baggage before continuing your journey
  • Need to change airline in Singapore
  • Need to move to/from Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 4 to/from Terminals 1,2,3.
Subject to flight route and conditions of transit, it is possible to move between Singapore Changi Airport Terminals 1,2,3 without clearing immigration.

Doc Copper
As the situation is fluid, please be aware that Singapore will no longer allow transit as of Monday the 23rd of March 11.59pm Singapore time. There is no specific mention of airside transit anymore.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...itors-12564546

Bangkok post reported that Bangkok air stopped all their international flights. If you have a flight from Koh Samui to Singapore with them check it now. If you have a transit to a BA flight in Singapore after Monday this will affect you.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...tional-flights

It will be interesting to see what BA does with the LHR-SIN-SYD rotation. These flights would not be allowed to have anyone other than Singaporeans or Permanent residents on them.

Globalist
wrp96 and DoctorCopper like this.

Last edited by Globalist; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:18 am Reason: Typos
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:24 am

Bangkok may not be a bad option for the transit, though I think it may very soon not be practical for BA to continue to operate a route so far from home. Qatar could handle what limited Aus traffic there will be to be rebooked
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by Deltus
Sounds like we need a sub-forum for BAEC FT-ers stuck in Thailand! So far I've had 10 days in Chiang Mai, a week in Krabi, and a few 1-3 night stays in Bangkok while I'm passing through. Heading back to CNX tomorrow, since I've had more than my fair share of beaches and I've decided Chiang Mai offers the best bang for your buck hotel-wise in all of Thailand...
Haha, yep hi! I've just got to Chiang Mai on Friday to bunker down for 3 months and ride this all over. Gonna be interesting seeing how I extend my Visa if required and no flights out. Rumours of consulates giving letters if you can't get out, allowing an additional 30 days on top of normal 30 day extension. Will just have to see!
wrp96 and HarryKUK like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
If it is of any help for people deciding where (or whether) to wait it out in Thailand, here is the latest news on provinces outside of Bangkok closing down in a similar fashion as BKK:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Thanks, quite helpful. I am off to Hua Hin for 9 days (staying Marriott, IC, and Hyatt) and afterwards either Khao Lak or Chiang Rai.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Thanks, quite helpful. I am off to Hua Hin for 9 days (staying Marriott, IC, and Hyatt) and afterwards either Khao Lak or Chiang Rai.
Oh so no eastern side after all? For Hua Hin, be wary that for IC you have to book higher categories to be even on the beach side of the main road - much of the resort is on the other side of the road, accessible by an overpass.

Marriott there is nice, but I would strongly suggest The Barai at Hyatt Regency - it’s a 9 suite hotel within the hotel, but operated separately. Really nice, and one of our favourite places around Hua Hin
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
The beach near Chumphon is a good stop off on the way south. I hope you've got good travel insurance or a large pot of cash if you get ill. I once had to spend a night in a public Thai hospital for food poisoning in Hua Hin and I wouldn't recommend it!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold HH Gold
Currently sat in the CX lounge in BKK waiting for BA10 back to LHR.
We were due to fly back on the 25th Koh Samui to SIN and then LHR but managed to switch after a call to BA Holidays.
They answered after around 15 minutes and I had an excellent duty manager who switched us to to USM-BKK-LHR in around 30 seconds.
We were staying at the Santiburi in Mae Nam which was excellent but all of the outside bars and restaurants were ordered to close down so we decided we had probably pushed our luck enough and it was time to leave.
The resort issued us a credit note for the 3 nights we have not taken valid for a year which was a great gesture.
wrp96 and mattspod like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pgoodall
Currently sat in the CX lounge in BKK waiting for BA10 back to LHR.
We were due to fly back on the 25th Koh Samui to SIN and then LHR but managed to switch after a call to BA Holidays.
They answered after around 15 minutes and I had an excellent duty manager who switched us to to USM-BKK-LHR in around 30 seconds.
We were staying at the Santiburi in Mae Nam which was excellent but all of the outside bars and restaurants were ordered to close down so we decided we had probably pushed our luck enough and it was time to leave.
The resort issued us a credit note for the 3 nights we have not taken valid for a year which was a great gesture.
Can you have a look if economy is full when you board? For last few days they been selling only Biz and PE on todays (Monday 23rd March) BA10, with perhaps an odd hour where 1 economy seat would pop up for a crazy price. Im just wondering if it is full loading or are they doing 1 seat occupied 1 seat empty seperation. How was checkin? A large amount of standby?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lewis King
Haha, yep hi! I've just got to Chiang Mai on Friday to bunker down for 3 months and ride this all over. Gonna be interesting seeing how I extend my Visa if required and no flights out. Rumours of consulates giving letters if you can't get out, allowing an additional 30 days on top of normal 30 day extension. Will just have to see!
<edit/snip: misread, and repeated, doh>... Promenade mall immigration office is super busy at the moment, a petri dish in that overcrowded office and they stop giving tickets when they have issued 100 (or could be 100 waiting), but there are agents can sort it out hassle free for 1000baht, DM if you want details.

Last edited by mattspod; Mar 23, 2020 at 3:10 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by mattspod
Can you have a look if economy is full when you board? For last few days they been selling only Biz and PE on todays (Monday 23rd March) BA10, with perhaps an odd hour where 1 economy seat would pop up for a crazy price. Im just wondering if it is full loading or are they doing 1 seat occupied 1 seat empty seperation. How was checkin? A large amount of standby?
I will take a walk back down the back and check if possible. Expert Flyer is showing a full flight apart from 1 seat in CW so will be interesting to see if that is the case onboard
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by mattspod
You should be able to extend your 60 day tourist visa for another 30 days without the silly embassy letter. The silly embassy letter is required when no extension is already available (i.e. you've already done 30+30 or 60+30). Promenade mall immigration office is super busy at the moment, a petri dish in that overcrowded office and they stop giving tickets when they have issued 100 (or could be 100 waiting), but there are agents can sort it out hassle free for 1000baht, DM if you want details.
yep, that’s what I just said! (“Allowing an additional extension on top of the normal 30 days”) I’m on 60 days, will extend 30, then see about the extra extension if I need it. Will DM you now.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Pgoodall
I will take a walk back down the back and check if possible. Expert Flyer is showing a full flight apart from 1 seat in CW so will be interesting to see if that is the case onboard
I took a walk back down the plane and PE was full and perhaps a couple of seats free in WT although they could have been at the loo at the time. CW was full and the crew were struggling to keep a rather boisterous contingency of Scots topped up!
Glad to be back in the UK although I can’t help feeling that lying on a beach with a 10 meter exclusion zone in 33 degree heat is a better option than being back here.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
BA10 on expertflyer, UK point of sale:
25/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out
26/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out
27/03/2020 J3, all other fare buckets zeroed out
28/03/2020 J2, all other fare buckets zeroed out
29/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out

BA10 cancelled 30/03/2020 to 01/05/2020
02/05/2020 all classes showing 9
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by manymany
BA10 on expertflyer, UK point of sale:
25/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out
26/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out
27/03/2020 J3, all other fare buckets zeroed out
28/03/2020 J2, all other fare buckets zeroed out
29/03/2020 all fare buckets zeroed out

BA10 cancelled 30/03/2020 to 01/05/2020
02/05/2020 all classes showing 9
I think 2nd May is somewhat optimistic. AY, LH, LX etc have various COVID related policies in place covering up to 30 June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.