Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Perceived Value of Avios in Current Climate (March 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Perceived Value of Avios in Current Climate (March 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The value hasn't changed just because there is no point in booking a flight at the moment. Be patient and in 3 months time (or maybe longer) they will be still sitting there and you can use them again. Unless you fear a devaluation. Quite frankly I'm more worried about my shares that have lost real value than a few Avios which have not.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I compare the cost of a redemption to the cost of a flexible revenue ticket. Especially as I had to cancel some redemptions last year. Other than that I don't think too much about it to be honest.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Mike P
Like my investments and pension funds, I'm taking a long term view on this one. I'm in my early 40s so a long time to go before I think about retiring and my view of the value of my Avios hasn't really changed. I'm happy to sit on them for the time being and expect to get >1p per Avios when the time to redeem them does come.
This. Your shares are worth less, if you absolutely need to sell them now. If you feel you absolutely must redeem your Avios now, they are worth the value of the wine you can order with them, because that's the only redemption route where you can be confident of actually getting what you order.

If, however, you hold your nerve and think that BA will still exist when this event has blown over (which I think it will), then like the stock market and property prices, the value will return.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:11 pm
Suspended

At the moment with cheap deals about and the book with confidence using them to reduce commercial cost even further is becoming viable and better than redemption on some deals I've come across
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This. Your shares are worth less, if you absolutely need to sell them now. If you feel you absolutely must redeem your Avios now, they are worth the value of the wine you can order with them, because that's the only redemption route where you can be confident of actually getting what you order.

If, however, you hold your nerve and think that BA will still exist when this event has blown over (which I think it will), then like the stock market and property prices, the value will return.
There is however a big difference between shares and points. Generally speaking stocks go up over time at least in the western world, airlines points almost NEVER appreciate. Most enhancements to frequent traveler programs are devaluations. Hence the earn and burn mantra. That said depending on how the airlines are doing after this happens there may indeed be some increased value for points but I never bank on points being worth more or even the same in the future. I expect my stock holdings to be worth more in 10 years I don't not expect my airline points to be worth more or even the same in 10 years.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
There is however a big difference between shares and points. Generally speaking stocks go up over time at least in the western world, airlines points almost NEVER appreciate. Most enhancements to frequent traveler programs are devaluations. Hence the earn and burn mantra. That said depending on how the airlines are doing after this happens there may indeed be some increased value for points but I never bank on points being worth more or even the same in the future. I expect my stock holdings to be worth more in 10 years I don't not expect my airline points to be worth more or even the same in 10 years.
This is a good point. However, the point remains, that you do not have to redeem right now and the value is likely to return later.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Hawk777
At the moment with cheap deals about and the book with confidence using them to reduce commercial cost even further is becoming viable and better than redemption on some deals I've come across
I’m sure that’s true, but of course it doesn’t help when there’s a travel ban at the desired destination!

I CBA to make a putative booking to somewhere I can’t go!! We have 4 destination No Entries already in MMB!
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
I’m sure that’s true, but of course it doesn’t help when there’s a travel ban at the desired destination!

I CBA to make a putative booking to somewhere I can’t go!! We have 4 destination No Entries already in MMB!
This is the problem. You can't actually get to anywhere - and if you do, your insurance is probably invalid because you're travelling against FCO advice.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
This is the problem. You can't actually get to anywhere - and if you do, your insurance is probably invalid because you're travelling against FCO advice.
yep but if you're booking for 6/7 months in advance unless you're thinking the worst and we are still under travel bans might as well book when going is good
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Once (hopefully) all the avios end up back in our HH account from the stuff we have booked but likely cancelled, we will be will be quite avios rich (for us, nowhere near what some of you guys have, I'm sure) but I'm in no rush untill we have a better idea on how this thing is going to play out. I'm pretty sure the 241 will go unused too (both of them).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I value them at 0.75p. I collect them over time and spend them when I need flexibility or as part of a 2for1. The current situation doesn’t change that.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Hawk777
yep but if you're booking for 6/7 months in advance unless you're thinking the worst and we are still under travel bans might as well book when going is good
Hi, Hawk777 ...I see where your coming from, but I don’t see that solves the current situation.

We, comfortable OAPs, do 5 or so trips a year to warm places. Many of our bookings are made literally a year ahead, and all those are already closed down by travel restrictions. The latest one (of 4) is CPT, in December. What’s the point in us booking other trips that are, on current form, unlikely to happen?

We are vaguely hoping things will relax, and some might become viable again. We have MLA, IAD, ANU and CPT in MMB. I have no intention of adding to the list in the vague hope that FCO advice or destination Border restrictions might ease. We will be just be grateful if we can salvage anything for our 2020 programme,

BTW, very glad you’re here, and giving your time to the BAFT community. Respect. 👏
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by T8191
Hi, Hawk777 ...I see where your coming from, but I don’t see that solves the current situation.

We, comfortable OAPs, do 5 or so trips a year to warm places. Many of our bookings are made literally a year ahead, and all those are already closed down by travel restrictions. The latest one (of 4) is CPT, in December. What’s the point in us booking other trips that are, on current form, unlikely to happen?

We are vaguely hoping things will relax, and some might become viable again. We have MLA, IAD, ANU and CPT in MMB. I have no intention of adding to the list in the vague hope that FCO advice or destination Border restrictions might ease. We will be just be grateful if we can salvage anything for our 2020 programme,

BTW, very glad you’re here, and giving your time to the BAFT community. Respect. 👏
totally get that point personally I've taken the risk in a few long haul for September in J on some good deals mainly as it was my aim this year to finally get myself up to gold as fed up of silver and only got to December, not really tier pt runs holidays im doing anyway but would have normally used redemption or staff travel for
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The problem seems to be the cost of flying, especially in J, has become too cheap for most of you. Some of you should have been around 30+ years ago.
argonath and Misco60 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
The value of avios at the moment is the same as it has always been - zero.

They are only worth what you are prepared to spend them on, it’s a completely personal decision and it’s why the attempts to put a ‘true’ value on an avios point are futile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.