Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to become all T5 at LHR from Sunday 29 March 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to become all T5 at LHR from Sunday 29 March 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Confirmed
How are T4 airlines divided between T2/3?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Indeed. Now may I remind you that it's awfully selfish not to share your Avios stash with your fellow BAEC bretheren. It would be mighty selfish not to send me 50 000 Avios.

I.e. I think there's all the time in the world now for some healthy banter, taken we can't exactly cancel the rest of our lives - including the virtue of poking fun at FT.
If we are in ‘truth and reconciliation’ mode, can I please have some sympathy for being 10 TPs off a GUF2?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:06 pm

According to this article, both T3 and T4 are closing

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...-within-weeks/
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 2035
According to this article, both T3 and T4 are closing

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...-within-weeks/
If T3 is closing that implies that VS operations will be negligible in the coming weeks. Maybe no more than 2-3 flights a day. If that.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
If T3 is closing that implies that VS operations will be negligible in the coming weeks. Maybe no more than 2-3 flights a day. If that.
VS have already said they are cutting 75% of capacity.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
VS will only be operating 6 aircraft in total, so no problem there.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I still haven’t seen any official announcement from HAL or BA but I guess it will come soon.

Im guessing Vueling will move it’s A Coruna service to T5 (when the route returns).

Will everyone else go to T2?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Any chance that, for the time being, all BA operations will be concentrated at LHR (so no flights from LGW, LCY and STN).?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Any chance that, for the time being, all BA operations will be concentrated at LHR (so no flights from LGW, LCY and STN).?
I've always wanted a JER-LHR route but this wasn't the way I wanted to get it...
Gerbs, T8191, alex67500 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA CF at LCY is a separate company, so I'm not sure it could easily move to LHR.

Unfortunately for BACF it is a separate company, so BA might let it sink rather than support it if it gets into trouble. Fortunately for BACF it's a separate company and a smaller one at that so perhaps it can leverage more government support.

Business travel will, I suspect, resume as soon as official advice says travel is OK. It's too important to companies not to travel, so LCY might recover sooner. Leisure travellers might be hesitant, but I suspect that companies will declare business travel is OK and then expect people to travel, and that is most of LCY's business.

This is my complete guesswork, of course.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There will be no return to 'normal' let alone over night.

Airlines will be looking very closely at their cost base and route networks and retrenching. If BA see a future without T3 because they can operate solely from T5 then they won't go back

It will be years before airlines - not just BA - start to operate anywhere near the same number of routes and frequencies it did at the start of the year.
i think we’ll be back to normal quicker than you think. Lets have some optimism.

perhaps not within a year, but if any airline can get back to normal, it will be BA at LHR.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Interesting point actually, they could move the remaining LGW routes to LHR but I guess crews etc are allocated bases and it wouldn’t be as simple as thought.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I wonder what BA’s attitude to LHR slots will be when the use it or lose it rule comes in. I would imagine that this will mean that routes will move from LGW to protect the more valuable LHR slots. I can’t imagine, in a heavily weakened state, that they will be prepared to run ghost flights.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I wonder what BA’s attitude to LHR slots will be when the use it or lose it rule comes in. I would imagine that this will mean that routes will move from LGW to protect the more valuable LHR slots. I can’t imagine, in a heavily weakened state, that they will be prepared to run ghost flights.
After all this settles down, I wouldn't expect LHR slots to be quite as cherished as they once were. Not for a while anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by flatlander
BACF at LCY is a separate company, so I'm not sure it could easily move to LHR.

Unfortunately for BACF it is a separate company, so BA might let it sink rather than support it if it gets into trouble. Fortunately for BACF it's a separate company and a smaller one at that so perhaps it can leverage more government support.
CJ (BACF) is a wholly owned BA subsidiary, and BA can can move it wherever BA decides, as long as union agreements allow it. I don't believe current agreements allow CJ at LHR - but with the way things are going, a single E70 might be just the right size for a route that once supported multiple 320 family frequencies…

I'd think CJ would be unlikely to publically contradict BA/IAG in seeking government support; CJ management is appointed by BA after all. If BA/IAG decided to close/absorb CJ, then that would be it. If they decided it was now LEVEL UK out of STN, then likewise.

There's probably value in keeping the lower cost BA branded subsidiary, wherever they're based, but who knows what BA will look like in a week or month from now. Here's hoping for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.