Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Tokyo

Has anyone travelled to Tokyo this week and have any reports of the situation there?
I’m supposed to be travelling on BA5 this week and mulling if I should still go.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Stay at home

Tokyo resident here.
I would strongly advise against all non-essential travel.
This is not the time to be a tourist in Japan and, if you are coming for business, I don’t believe that your local contacts will have any desire to meet you, although they may not voice that clearly.

We have had social distancing for the last two weeks.
Schools are shut until early April, all major tourist spots are closed, and stores are operating reduced opening hours.
My company (10000 employees) moved to remote working, as suggested by government, more than two weeks ago. This will continue for a further two weeks with possibility of extension.
While currently in Trump’s good books, there is open criticism of Abe government’s lack of planning and ability to deal with the situation.
If Europe is your home, the ability to easily return there is also far from clear based on closed borders and the cancellations/shutdowns in place for all major airlines.
plunet, HP28, LTN Phobia and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Exec. Club Silver
Helpful link for those considering Tokyo/Japan in general for a holiday.

This is a list (scroll down to the bottom) of major attractions from the Japan National Tourism Org that have been closed (and review/reopening dates if applicable):

www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/#anchor

*5 post limit* - Edited to add the link
HP28 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am afraid that there is no place in the world worth going (and hopefully coming back) as a tourist. And absolutely none for business.
I was also planning to go to Japan for the cherry blossom, but cancelled upon everyone advice.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Currently in Hokkkaido (Sapporo and now in Niseko). Didn't notice any closures but did notice the lack of tourists, it is very quiet and thus skiing in Niseko seems to be one of the better ways of social distancing.

I was on my way to Tokyo on Friday for a week but due to the helpful post #2 have changed my plans and heading out. Thank god for Avios booking flexibility (and full refunds) in addition to the wide open reward space that currently exists.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Currently in Hokkkaido (Sapporo and now in Niseko). Didn't notice any closures but did notice the lack of tourists, it is very quiet and thus skiing in Niseko seems to be one of the better ways of social distancing.

I was on my way to Tokyo on Friday for a week but due to the helpful post #2 have changed my plans and heading out. Thank god for Avios booking flexibility (and full refunds) in addition to the wide open reward space that currently exists.
are you getting full refunds on Avios redemptions? As in no change fees?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:49 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
UK government is now advising against all non-essential travel abroad for the next 30 days. Only you know how essential this trip is but it would be prudent to heed the official advice.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: M&M FTL, BAEC Silver
If you are not a healthcare worker, or working on a vaccine, or flying home, your travels are non-essential. Listen to your gut and act accordingly.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HP28
are you getting full refunds on Avios redemptions? As in no change fees?
Yes, free changes and cancellations up to 24h before but it's a GGL perk. I think you'd have to pay a small amount if not GGL but all avios would be refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.