Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA got my ESTA cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I have LHR to PHL booked for 11 Apr,, havent cancelled it yet as I am holding out for a refund, my ESTA expires 19 march and I was going to apply for a new one before travel. My GE status remains at approved and my renewal status is pending (which is situation normal for renewals)
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by OddJobMan
Do you have Global Entry by any chance, may be worth also checking that.
I only applied for that 6 months ago Going to be forgetting about getting that through anytime there is a 2 in the year.
OddJobMan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There was a report of this a couple of days back (which was originally scorned upon as being misinformation).

Now... what would you answer to this question on a future ESTA application :-
IMO, since ESTA is neither a visa nor an application for admission itself, but just a travel authorization, the answer would still be "No".
expatboy and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Am not sure what to advise really.

I've had a look on the VS, AY and KL boards and there are no simlar posts there. Not on the general USA destination board nor the Trusted Traveller board either.

The DHS / CBP has an Ombudsman to deal with complaints so that might be an avenue but it's not likely to be a quick process.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:23 am

There is absolutely no need to panic. As part of the check in process for a flight to the US an airline has to run your details through the DHS ESTA database. That’s why if you have a full visa they need to override it at this point. All this represents is the quickest and easiest way for the DHS to stop people who will be rejected at the border boarding the aircraft in the first place as they won’t be allowed to check in (the advantage of BA sending them APIS in advance). There will be so many people in this situation that when it’s all over they’ll easily allow you to apply for a new ESTA then.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it's just the DHS using a hammer to crack a nut. There has just been a huge data scan and crude administrative fiat applied. They will have cancelled ESTAs for people still eligible to fly under some of the more obscure exceptions under the policy. My uninformed guess is that as and when travel becomes viable again, some mechanism will be found to assist the OP, the very worse will be having to apply from fresh again but it's not a black mark in my view.
Jet Ranger, Kgmm77 and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If people want to check their ESTA status this is the link

clink on 'Check ESTA Status' and select from the drop down menu - individual or group as necessary.

You will need your passport

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/individualStatusLookup
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's just the DHS using a hammer to crack a nut. There has just been a huge data scan and crude administrative fiat applied. They will have cancelled ESTAs for people still eligible to fly under some of the more obscure exceptions under the policy.
Indeed. My neighbour received the same message this morning even though he is married to a US citizen and is therefore exempt from the ban. (Does the ESTA application even take such marital status into account, I wonder?)
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If BA are supplying personal data to the US, when the booking has been cancelled, they have no reason to. There is no excuse of it being necessary for law enforcement etc. Could they be liable for a massive GDPA fine? Not that I think they would get one in the circumstances.
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There was a report of this a couple of days back (which was originally scorned upon as being misinformation).

Now... what would you answer to this question on a future ESTA application :-
Are you referring to this one?: US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

If so, no one was suggesting it was fake news, we were trying to clarify what the situation was - that topic was being strictly monitored to ensure there was no speculative posts or posts with information that was not capable of being verified. Given the continuously changing circumstances it is vital we offer reliable and accurate information and that, where possible, we verify the information being posted by linking to official sources of that information. We do not want to provide misleading or speculative information in this fast moving situation.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Roryb
I was meant to be travelling to LAX today but opted for a voucher instead on Sunday morning only to get an email from BA to say they had cancelled my tickets and would give me a full refund. Yay! However, they actually did not cancel my ticket and this morning I got an email from the DHS in the US to say they had cancelled my ESTA as I was trying to travel to the US. Now I understand BA are under some load to try and catch up on things but they are now causing knock on issues. Anyone else had this?

There are discussions on Florida holiday message boards from people travelling with Virgin that their ESTA's have been cancelled so it isn't just BA.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:17 am

Will the ESTA revocation go on my record as a negative mark?

Any traveler with a valid ESTA who attempts to travel the United States in violation of the Proclamations will have their ESTA canceled, not revoked. This cancellation does not preclude a traveler from re-applying for an ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?focused...0Proclamations
littlefish, AZ112 and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by henry999
Indeed. My neighbour received the same message this morning even though he is married to a US citizen and is therefore exempt from the ban. (Does the ESTA application even take such marital status into account, I wonder?)
That's not so obscure, I hadn't thought of that one, and it will affect thousands of people travelling today / tomorrow. Which is good in a way, since US embassies will be getting calls from their own expat citizens wanting to know what to do. Anyone with a cancelled ESTA not travelled best leave this for a few weeks. A few years back the DHS did the same sort of data scan on people they thought did not have chipped passports. The date they used for the UK was a misunderstanding (I think we've been issuing chips for 15 plus years) based on the fact that a tiny number of passports issued in about 2014 didn't have chips, They cancelled the ESTAs of people with older passports even though 99.99% of those passports had a chip. A few days later they reversed the cancellations, didn't send emails out, it was just the ESTA checker that showed everything was OK. Now I don't think this case is going to quite as straightforward, but if you are not travelling to the USA for a month or so I wouldn't worry about it for a week or two.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Silly question maybe, but can you remove your information from API in that case? That'll invalidate your booking if BA don't cancel it on time...
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by alex67500
Silly question maybe, but can you remove your information from API in that case? That'll invalidate your booking if BA don't cancel it on time...
I've just done that to my booking next month, not sure if I should put it back or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.