Travelling through MAD

Old Mar 16, 20, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Travelling through MAD

I am travelling to Havana from LHR via MAD - only transferring aircraft at MAD rather than getting out of the airport. So, under FCO Travel Advisory does this constitute travelling to Spain (which they advise against) or Cuba (where there is no travel advisory for at present)?
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:07 am

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
Originally Posted by JSM8 View Post
I am travelling to Havana from LHR via MAD - only transferring aircraft at MAD rather than getting out of the airport. So, under FCO Travel Advisory does this constitute travelling to Spain (which they advise against) or Cuba (where there is no travel advisory for at present)?
The FCO now advise all foreign travel: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-a...el-coronavirus
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by JSM8 View Post
Hi, I cancelled my HAV flights leaving from AGP and connecting through MAD tomorrow. Its not somewhere I wanted to be stuck if the airlines pull up the drawbridge.

And as a second point if the FCO are not recommending any travel is your insurance valid/invalid if you go? My advice is to rethink going to Cuba unless you really have to.

Safe Travels..
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Cuba, on the other hand, sounds like an excellent place to be marooned
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mexico & My Tuppence Worth...

and so I hope will be old Mexico...

I've decided that unless my flights are cancelled on me, or Mexico pulls up the drawbridge, then next week I'm off...

I'm due out on Iberia in J and I've looked forward to it...and my only concern is traversing MAD with an overnight at the local Ibis.

Frankly if it comes to it I'll spend the night at the airport and never enter the country.

I'm sorry, but this Corona thing is BS. Yes, if you're a Senior and / or with preconditions, then its statistically more deadly than this seasons bulk standard flu...and its right that these people should be medically defended in depth.

Everyone else should suck it up (whilst taking some obvious precautions) and let it wash through the population.

When they start digging pits (a la the mad cow scare from 20 years ago) and chucking bodies in, then it'll get my undivided and immediate attention.

Undoubtedly there is a virus out there that may polish 20% or more of the world's population off...but Corona obviously isn't it...

My tuppence worth...Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; Mar 17, 20 at 8:10 am Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Perhaps a bigger concern than illness from the virus would be if something else happens while you're away (broken leg) and the insurance companies use the FCO no none essential travel line to refuse to cover you.
gms, argonath and Lynyrd like this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
Perhaps a bigger concern than illness from the virus would be if something else happens while you're away (broken leg) and the insurance companies use the FCO no none essential travel line to refuse to cover you.
Indeed. Most people who commence travel now will have no insurance cover. So anyone considering 'going for it' should carefully read the terms of their travel policy to make sure they still have cover.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post

I've decided that unless my flights are cancelled on me, or Mexico pulls up the drawbridge, then next week I'm off...

I'm due out on Iberia in J and I've looked forward to it...and my only concern is traversing MAD with an overnight at the local Ibis.

Frankly if it comes to it I'll spend the night at the airport and never enter the country.

I'm sorry, but this Corona thing is BS. Yes, if you're a Senior and / or with preconditions, then its statistically more deadly than this seasons bulk standard flu...and its right that these people should be medically defended in depth.

Everyone else should suck it up (whilst taking some obvious precautions) and let it wash through the population.

When they start digging pits (a la the mad cow scare from 20 years ago) and chucking bodies in, then it'll get my undivided and immediate attention.

Undoubtedly there is a virus out there that may polish 20% or more of the world's population off...but Corona obviously isn't it...

Wrong on several levels. Here are two:
  1. The FCO has advised against all but essential travel. You would be foolish to ignore that.
  2. If you travel and facilitate the transmission to someone elderly and/or someone with pre-existing health problems then you are exacerbating the problem. Never mind about politicians, do you really think you know better than the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Advisor?
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:21 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Wrong on several levels. Here are two:
  1. The FCO has advised against all but essential travel. You would be foolish to ignore that.
  2. If you travel and facilitate the transmission to someone elderly and/or someone with pre-existing health problems then you are exacerbating the problem. Never mind about politicians, do you really think you know better than the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Scientific Advisor?
Exactly so. I'd add one thing - under any circumstances would anyone really want to be hospitalised in Cuba?
spaninan likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: "Only" 60,000 TPs until GGLfL
Originally Posted by Chris_G View Post

letting it “wash through the population” will kill 260,000 assuming the NHS treatment capacity doesn’t collapse - potentially a million of it does.

You might well be fine - but do you have parents or grandparents alive? If so, how would you feel about them being “chucked” into “pits” if they don’t make it?

Last edited by alexwuk; Mar 17, 20 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by alexwuk View Post
letting it “wash through the population” will kill 260,000 assuming the NHS treatment capacity doesn’t collapse - potentially a million of it does.

You might well be fine - but do you have parents or grandparents alive? If so, how would feel about them being “chucked” into “pits” if they don’t make it?
Exactly! By travelling around this time, you have a better chance of contracting virus, and remember it only has no/mild symptoms at the beginning, then you may infect others around you (not necessarily your loved ones, but people around you without any protection). Please be considerate for the already very fragile NHS. Understandably, some people do not care to contract the virus, and think you are not in that particular high risk group. The loss of your life isn’t all about yourself, what about your loved ones? Remember there were people not in that high risk group were still died of this disease. Do you know what? Their relatives became contracted by looking after the sicked ones. It is wise to reconsider your travel plan.
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:58 pm

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but on the Cuban healthcare front, it would be good to keep in mind that this is one thing that the country does do extremely well.
So much so that it has a significant health tourism industry on one hand and it is also very much part of their foreign policy on the other.
Sam Bee, spanishflea and DeathSlam like this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 3:28 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I know Cuba pretty well, I used to live with a Cuban, and I used to organise holiday groups for Brits to go there. Honestly I think it's a seriously bad idea to go there at the moment. Cuban hospitals have very basic facilities, you wouldn't want to be in one. Cuban hotels are extremely expensive, and atrocious value for money. And food is generally awful in Cuba, all tastes like school dinners even in the 5 star hotels. There is very little internet availability, you have to pay $1 US per hour in hotels for a voucher and nothing is available in private houses. And I'm not sure that we even have an embassy there. Finally, outside of the hotels, you'll find that very few people speak decent English, so you will need reasonably good Spanish for an extended trip. Add to this that you would have no travel insurance, and you are travelling against foreign office advice, so if anything happens to you the nearest embassy will basically tell you to go take a jump.
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:28 pm

I like rice and beans. And it sounds like a great opportunity to learn Spanish. Every cloud and everything
Old Mar 17, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Unless the Mexican's close their borders or Iberia stop running flights...I'm going and I intend to open a bar there called the "Self Isolate"...

I live in France and after 24 hours I've had quite enough of this Macron lock down nonsense

Search this Thread
Search Engine: