FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Covid-19 : BA network lounge closures, effective 17 March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2013214-covid-19-ba-network-lounge-closures-effective-17-march.html)

Hawk777 Mar 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Covid-19 : BA network lounge closures, effective 17 March

From 17 March to further notice South complex only
club lounges at T5A North and T5B closed

corporate-wage-slave Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for that, it was inevitable at some point. My understanding is that CCR and Flounge continue to be open, and no changes at T3 or LGW.

HFHFFlyer Mar 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks.

Will north security be open, or just south security and TFW?

Hawk777 Mar 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer (Post 32194137)
Thanks.

Will north security be open, or just south security and TFW?

not sure on security but would be surprised to be honest

Betteronacamel Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to do the lounge refurbishments and deep clean/renovation of the showers?

Fatdickie Mar 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Should close them all
and just keep the CCR Open 😉 for everyone and drop the entry requirements to silver and above

UKtravelbear Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel (Post 32194537)
Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to do the lounge refurbishments and deep clean/renovation of the showers?

That would cost money and I would imagine BA won't spend on what are in effect non essentials at the present.

Also hard just to turn on the tap for workers doing either of those activities.

DrAJ Mar 16, 2020 3:40 pm

T5 north today

Lovely and quiet. Or sense of impending doom depending on your outlook.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ceef8e01fd.jpg

TyneTraveller Mar 16, 2020 3:54 pm

No changes at T3 or LGW to date, or any of the UK regions for that matter. With MAN switching terminals in the near future I wouldn't be surprised if something gives there at some point soon.

Jordi14 Mar 17, 2020 3:41 am

The BA lounge in Brussels was also closed on Saturday, until the 3rd of April. (for Now)
Instead we could use the Diamond lounge, which was nice!

Genius1 Mar 17, 2020 4:16 am

Nice to see Galleries Club North has received some of the new-style furniture.

fotographer Mar 17, 2020 7:20 am

I was there yesterday... never seem both lounges so quite. sad

Krisz Mar 17, 2020 7:54 am

I’m just here in T5. I can confirm that both north and south security open. First Wing security is open I was the only one going through however an older couple was taking their time to put things back in their bags. First class lounge quite empty. CCR not busy at all. I haven’t checked the business class upstairs.
interesting fact that as it should be the busy period both scanner lane were open in the First Wing. I would thought one would be closed.

Heathrow Express running short trains as well. Not many people using it though. The two trains I’ve seen both had configured business first in the Paddington end.

DrAJ Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1 (Post 32196631)
Nice to see Galleries Club North has received some of the new-style furniture.

Yes I thought so too. How new is it? Normally far too busy to contemplate the terrace so no idea how long it has actually been there!

Genius1 Mar 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by DrAJ (Post 32199396)
Yes I thought so too. How new is it? Normally far too busy to contemplate the terrace so no idea how long it has actually been there!

Not sure, I haven't been in a Club lounge in T5A for some time - although if BA don't grant status extensions I may well find myself there this year!

nufnuf77 Mar 18, 2020 5:29 pm

CCR closing

Just heard from the bartender from CCR that the lounge is closing for at least 30 days.

MarkFlies Mar 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Very sad.

bil Mar 19, 2020 12:14 am

LGW Flounge was closed today.

Jase76 Mar 19, 2020 1:11 am

Confirmed: CCR now closed

Here today and CCR closed and FLounge very quiet at 07:00. Some advance notification would have been nice, although they did email saying my flights were operating.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b6f5577a1.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6d05b719c.jpeg

florens Mar 19, 2020 1:15 am

This makes me sad. :(

Jase76 Mar 19, 2020 1:31 am

Looks like there will be a few occasions coming up I won’t be able to use my newly minted CCR card and I won’t make renewal next year. Truly first world problems but annoying nonetheless.

Misco60 Mar 19, 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by fotographer (Post 32197115)
I was there yesterday... never seem both lounges so quite. sad

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 32204610)
Very sad.

Originally Posted by florens (Post 32205444)
This makes me sad. :(

Why are people "sad" at the closure or under-utilisation of a couple of airport lounges? I genuinely don't understand it, as the closures barely register on my list of things to be sad about. (Although I do accept that it's a perfectly valid topic for discussion here).

florens Mar 19, 2020 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32205537)
Why are people "sad" at the closure or under-utilisation of a couple of airport lounges? I genuinely don't understand it, as the closures barely register on my list of things to be sad about. (Although I do accept that it's a perfectly valid topic for discussion here).

It is about the people who work there.

HighwayToHEL Mar 19, 2020 2:29 am

I'm sitting at 4515 points. My 500-TP trip in May is canned, and I have a feeling my 500-TP trip in July will also be canned. Collection year ends 8th August. I was confident of renewing, but there is a tiny element of sadness that I might not reach 5000 due to COVID-19. I do like the CCR, and hope it comes back into service.

I know it's a first world problem, don't get me wrong. I hope the staff there are all being looked after.

Lost-in-Space Mar 19, 2020 3:04 am

CCR Lounge Closure Notice

I love how the lounge closure notice gives instructions to CCR users on how to get to the South Lounge complex.

Poor wee lambies, they must be completely lost. Perhaps BA should provide a sedan chair service to shuttle them down?!

cheshirepete Mar 19, 2020 3:19 am

This is ironic for me. My points posted today which took me to 5030TP. First time hitting that mark since joining the club in 2002! That was 18 years in the making!

Hope everyone stays safe, and gets back to where they need to be until we get to the other side of this.

ens100 Mar 19, 2020 3:24 am

For those who are feeling withdraw symptoms

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...81f8aa0b8b.jpg

msm2000uk Mar 19, 2020 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32205537)

Many of the lounge staff have been given 30 days of unpaid leave, on a moments notice.

Perhaps that realisation, which is happening to many, is why we care.

M

Misco60 Mar 19, 2020 3:46 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 32205761)
Many of the lounge staff have been given 30 days of unpaid leave, on a moments notice.

Perhaps that realisation, which is happening to many, is why we care.

Concern for the welfare of staff who might lose their livelihoods is perfectly normal. But the posts I was referring to seemed to express sadness at the simple fact that the lounges were quiet or closed, which is the reason I wondered exactly why people were sad.

crazyarmadillo Mar 19, 2020 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Jase76 (Post 32205432)
Here today and CCR closed and FLounge very quiet at 07:00. Some advance notification would have been nice, although they did email saying my flights were operating.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b6f5577a1.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6d05b719c.jpeg

Makes me sad too looking at that. Reason why, it's an image showing the state of the world that an international airport in London has pretty much closed. Who would have thought just a few weeks back.

Hope the guys who work there are ok, if they read this, hi!

MarkFlies Mar 19, 2020 4:30 am

It’s regrettable that they used “Regretably”. It kinda looks a bit like “canceled”.

UKtravelbear Mar 19, 2020 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space (Post 32205692)
CCR Lounge Closure Notice

I love how the lounge closure notice gives instructions to CCR users on how to get to the South Lounge complex.

Poor wee lambies, they must be completely lost. Perhaps BA should provide a sedan chair service to shuttle them down?!

Snide comments like yours really don't help anyone.

There would be complaints from people if BA hadn't put the directions on the poster.

Not every F passenger is a regular flyer or familiar with the various ways to get to the lounges.

krispy84 Mar 19, 2020 5:17 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo (Post 32205847)
Makes me sad too looking at that. Reason why, it's an image showing the state of the world that an international airport in London has pretty much closed. Who would have thought just a few weeks back.

I know it may come as a surprise to some FTers, but there is more to LHR than the CCR. I don’t see the image as dramatically as you do.

crazyarmadillo Mar 19, 2020 5:29 am

The only 2 times I can remember anything so dramatic concerning airport operations at LHR is first gulf war and 911.
EDIT. This related to airport operations, not whether those two events were more or less significant.

krispy84 Mar 19, 2020 5:37 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo (Post 32205996)
The only 2 times I can remember anything so dramatic concerning airport operations at LHR is first gulf war and 911.

Without wishing to labour the point, I don’t see the closure of the CCR as dramatic. It’s a symptom of the wider situation, which one may or may not wish to call dramatic, but in and of itself doesn’t say much about LHR being open or closed.

crazyarmadillo Mar 19, 2020 5:38 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 32206019)
Without wishing to labour the point, I don’t see the closure of the CCR as dramatic. It’s a symptom of the wider situation, which one may or may not wish to call dramatic, but in and of itself doesn’t say much about LHR b beeing open or closed.

Okay. The picture itself, out of context says nothing.

But unless you are from Mars we all know the context.

MarkFlies Mar 19, 2020 5:40 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32205926)
Snide comments like yours really don't help anyone.

There would be complaints from people if BA hadn't put the directions on the poster.

Not every F passenger is a regular flyer or familiar with the various ways to get to the lounges.

I don’t think it was snide. It was funny.

Mike P Mar 19, 2020 5:55 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 32206026)
I don’t think it was snide. It was funny.

I don't think it was funny, it was snide.

Tobias-UK Mar 19, 2020 6:16 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 32205976)
I know it may come as a surprise to some FTers, but there is more to LHR than the CCR. I don’t see the image as dramatically as you do.

Those of us who visit the CCR regularly very much find those images dramatic. Why? Because it reminds us of our friends who work there and who have been laid off, without notice or pay, for at least 30 days. Of course there are many people being adversely affected by this situation but please forgive us if we share our feelings and concern for those people we know and care about.

alex67500 Mar 19, 2020 6:17 am

The written language is not as explicit as a face to face conversation where tongue in cheek comments can appear more obvious. Whilst we're all in lockdown and feeling withdrawal symptoms from our travels, frustration will make you see messages in a more negative light. Once you're aware of that, read the messages again, the tone might change as you read it.

My 2 cents.

Edited to add: with the message above in mind, I wish the moderators of this wonderful board the best of luck, and thank them for the thankless tasks they have to perform at the moment. Stay strong and I hope I can buy you a drink as a thank you someday.