Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 : BA network lounge closures, effective 17 March

Covid-19 : BA network lounge closures, effective 17 March

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 10, 20, 6:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Latest update: 4 July

London airports
London Heathrow Terminal 5

T5A Concorde Room : CLOSED
T5A Galleries First : reopened 4 July
T5A Galleries Club South : reopened 4 July
T5A Elemis Spa: CLOSED
T5A Galleries Club North : CLOSED
T5B Galleries Club : CLOSED (including Elemis Spa)
T5A Galleries Arrivals : CLOSED (Elemis Spa CLOSED)

London Heathrow Terminal 3
Galleries First : CLOSED
Galleries Club : CLOSED
Elemis Spa : CLOSED
--
AA International First Class Lounge: CLOSED
AA Admirals Club : CLOSED
AA Arrivals Lounge : CLOSED
CX First Class Lounge: CLOSED
CX Business Class Lounge: CLOSED
The Qantas London Lounge : CLOSED

London Gatwick South
British Airways First Lounge : CLOSED
British Airways Club Lounge : CLOSED

Outstations
Aberdeen
British Airways Lounge : CLOSED

Amsterdam Schiphol

Berlin
Terraces : CLOSED

Bermuda
First Lounge : No data
Executive Club Lounge : No data

Boston
British Airways Lounge : CLOSED (including First and Club Dining)

Brussels
Galleries : CLOSED

Cape Town
British Airways Lounge : OPEN

Chicago O'Hare
First Lounge : CLOSED

Dallas Fort Worth Terminal D
AA Flagship Lounge : CLOSED (including Flagship Dining)
AA Admirals Club : CLOSED

Dubai

Edinburgh

Geneva

Glasgow

Hong Kong
The Wing First : OPEN
The Wing Business : CLOSED
The Deck : CLOSED
The Bridge : CLOSED
The Pier First : CLOSED
The Pier Business : CLOSED
Qantas Hong Kong Lounge : CLOSED

Houston
Executive Club Lounge : CLOSED

Johannesburg
British Airways Lounge : OPEN (including First Dining)

Lagos

Los Angeles TBIT
Qantas First Lounge : (closure expected end of March)
oneworld Business Lounge : (closure expected end of March)

Manchester

Miami
AA Flagship Lounge : CLOSED (including Flagship Dining)
AA Admirals Club D30 : CLOSED
AA Admirals Club D15 : CLOSED

Milan Linate

Newcastle

New York JFK
Concorde Room : CLOSED
British Airways First Lounge : CLOSED
British Airways Club Lounge : CLOSED

New York Newark
Galleries : CLOSED (including First and Club Dining)

Philadelphia

Rome Fiumicino

San Francisco
British Airways Lounge : CLOSED (including First Dining)

Seattle
First Lounge : CLOSED

Singapore
British Airways Lounge :
CLOSED
Qantas First Lounge : CLOSED
Qantas Business Lounge : CLOSED
Qatar Airways Lounge : No data

Vancouver

Washington Dulles
British Airways Lounge : CLOSED (including First and Club Dining)

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 19, 20, 4:30 am

It’s regrettable that they used “Regretably”. It kinda looks a bit like “canceled”.
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lost-in-Space View Post
CCR Lounge Closure Notice

I love how the lounge closure notice gives instructions to CCR users on how to get to the South Lounge complex.

Poor wee lambies, they must be completely lost. Perhaps BA should provide a sedan chair service to shuttle them down?!
Snide comments like yours really don't help anyone.

There would be complaints from people if BA hadn't put the directions on the poster.

Not every F passenger is a regular flyer or familiar with the various ways to get to the lounges.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:17 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post
Makes me sad too looking at that. Reason why, it's an image showing the state of the world that an international airport in London has pretty much closed. Who would have thought just a few weeks back.
I know it may come as a surprise to some FTers, but there is more to LHR than the CCR. I don’t see the image as dramatically as you do.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
The only 2 times I can remember anything so dramatic concerning airport operations at LHR is first gulf war and 911.
EDIT. This related to airport operations, not whether those two events were more or less significant.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Mar 19, 20 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post
The only 2 times I can remember anything so dramatic concerning airport operations at LHR is first gulf war and 911.
Without wishing to labour the point, I don’t see the closure of the CCR as dramatic. It’s a symptom of the wider situation, which one may or may not wish to call dramatic, but in and of itself doesn’t say much about LHR being open or closed.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Without wishing to labour the point, I don’t see the closure of the CCR as dramatic. It’s a symptom of the wider situation, which one may or may not wish to call dramatic, but in and of itself doesn’t say much about LHR b beeing open or closed.
Okay. The picture itself, out of context says nothing.

But unless you are from Mars we all know the context.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Snide comments like yours really don't help anyone.

There would be complaints from people if BA hadn't put the directions on the poster.

Not every F passenger is a regular flyer or familiar with the various ways to get to the lounges.
I don’t think it was snide. It was funny.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
I don’t think it was snide. It was funny.
I don't think it was funny, it was snide.
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
I know it may come as a surprise to some FTers, but there is more to LHR than the CCR. I don’t see the image as dramatically as you do.
Those of us who visit the CCR regularly very much find those images dramatic. Why? Because it reminds us of our friends who work there and who have been laid off, without notice or pay, for at least 30 days. Of course there are many people being adversely affected by this situation but please forgive us if we share our feelings and concern for those people we know and care about.
Jimmie76, mikebg, MarcD and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The written language is not as explicit as a face to face conversation where tongue in cheek comments can appear more obvious. Whilst we're all in lockdown and feeling withdrawal symptoms from our travels, frustration will make you see messages in a more negative light. Once you're aware of that, read the messages again, the tone might change as you read it.

My 2 cents.

Edited to add: with the message above in mind, I wish the moderators of this wonderful board the best of luck, and thank them for the thankless tasks they have to perform at the moment. Stay strong and I hope I can buy you a drink as a thank you someday.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Why are people "sad" at the closure or under-utilisation of a couple of airport lounges? I genuinely don't understand it, as the closures barely register on my list of things to be sad about. (Although I do accept that it's a perfectly valid topic for discussion here).
I saw a lot of the staff at the lounges, looking very sad, all talking about what they were going to do about work... some of these staff i know quite well.. while the virus is affecting the whole world,
you can still feel sorry for the people that you know thru your travels etc.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Those of us who visit the CCR regularly very much find those images dramatic. Why? Because it reminds us of our friends who work there and who have been laid off, without notice or pay, for at least 30 days. Of course there are many people being adversely affected by this situation but please forgive us if we share our feelings and concern for those people we know and care about.
And I can understand that. It’s natural that regular (or irregular) CCR users may feel the closure situation more intensely.

My point wasn’t about feelings in response to the CCR closure. It was about a posters use of the CCR closure as an indication that LHR itself is ‘pretty much’ closed. I think that is an overly dramatic extrapolation of the situation. OP’s exact wording below:

“Reason why, it's an image showing the state of the world that an international airport in London has pretty much closed. Who would have thought just a few weeks back.”
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP;Life time PLT; HH Diamond
An inner club?

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
This is not helpful. Ofcourse anyone would be concerned about staff and lay-offs; their jobs and families, but turning this into an attack by one who knows the CCR and 'visits regularly" just gives the impression of an inner "club" you are part of and others are not. In this crisis, this approach seems inappropriate. The image of a sign indicating the closure of one club is hardly "dramatic"!
Old Mar 19, 20, 8:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let us not impart bad motives or dig jibes to anyone in this thread, it's just a lounge. It would help if we all take things with some wry amusement and try to be civil to everyone, even though the circumstances are extremely trying at the moment. I can understand some people think this is all a bit self-serving, but we are a diverse group and with diverse views. We should give each other a hefty margin (virtual distancing?), we share the same planet, love will always conquer evil.

I'm ordinarily resident in the CCR for tax purposes, so yes I'm disappointed about this, though totally accepting that this is a sensible reality. I'm disappointed for the staff, who I spend a lot of time with, and who look after me so well. They don't earn a lot, the shifts can be very long with stupid early starts and some late shifts sometimes are very late. The working conditions aren't great either, they have to go through airport security sometimes several times a day. Some of them have families to support. It really isn't great for them at all, and I hope we get through this period quickly.

And yes I'm disappointed because the CCR is one of the many unique aspects of flying BA. Not everyone here appreciates the CCR, that's fine, but for me it's one of the things I look forward to when connecting at Heathrow. I'm also sad for the very many people who pass through CCR on the way to some big adventure in their lives, honeymoons, trips of a lifetime and so on.

Having said that, i'm in the USA at the moment (indeed on an AA aircraft as I type) and the situation here is in some ways worse, lounges here are essentially serving food and drink to take away only. So you can sit in a lounge, grab a doggy bag, but you can't eat or drink in it. The rules vary a lot from state to state, some places you can drink and eat wrapped food in Admirals / Flagships, other places there is nothing at all. So the fact the the First Lounge is open for business is a huge improvement on the situation over here.

Good luck to all the BaxterStorey staff, I hope we get back to normal life as soon as possible.
Old Mar 19, 20, 8:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by wemyss View Post
This is not helpful. Ofcourse anyone would be concerned about staff and lay-offs; their jobs and families, but turning this into an attack by one who knows the CCR and 'visits regularly" just gives the impression of an inner "club" you are part of and others are not. In this crisis, this approach seems inappropriate. The image of a sign indicating the closure of one club is hardly "dramatic"!
You may wish to reread my post again if you feel what was written is an attack. It isn't, and it certainly wasn't meant to be. My sole intent was to provide one view as to why some contributors here may find the closure of the CCR dramatic. I make no apology for being concerned for the welfare of the staff there. Whilst it may not be dramatic to you, it is no surprise to me that those who visit the CCR regularly are concerned about the welfare of those they care about.

I'm sorry if my comments made you feel left out, that was not my intent. I am equally concerned for the staff at other lounges and airports (and restaurants and bars etc) that I frequent and who I know well, but I didn't mention them specifically because I was responding to a post regarding the CCR.
nufnuf77 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: