Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty of care: what if...?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Duty of care: what if...?

I'm reading lots of posts from people applying for vouchers for flights that haven't been cancelled. But I haven't seen much from people 'stranded' in countries that have closed borders.

So what happens if you travel with BA (or are already abroad), and the return flights get cancelled because your destination is now under lockdown or have stopped travel?

For example, if somebody had travelled to Chile (https://chiletoday.cl/site/coronavir...virus-spreads/) how would they now get home? What is BA's responsibility?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

At the moment, BA would be required to provide accommodation and meals until they can get people home.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Even if the lockdown is for 30 days or more? I know it's hypothetical, but very interesting. Is there any precedent?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

At the moment for example from EZE option is to rearrange from another desitionation put pax responsibility to get to that destionation
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Charlie120
Even if the lockdown is for 30 days or more? I know it's hypothetical, but very interesting. Is there any precedent?
The only similar thing I can think of was the volcano a few years back. From what I recall then, a lot of people were unaware that they were entitled to "duty of care" and ended up sleeping in airports. A lot more people are now aware of EC261.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Reading EC261, it seems like an airline can get out of the duty of care responsibility by refunding the original ticket?

"If the airline does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity, it has to reimburse your flight costs."

Looks like the EU has issued guidance (https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...rights-faq.pdf), but it isn't very clear on obligations and responsibilities.

Has anybody had this with BA so far since the outbreak started?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
There is no time limit for the duty of care. There were discussions to limit it to 2 or 3 days specifically to avoid the volcano type shutdown, but the amendments have never been approved. I am not even sure if they are even being considered any more.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:54 pm

I would assume, they would offer rerouting if possible through another carrier, if not then would probably give you a 2/3 days and say we will refund and you can make your own way back. Insurance would then look to assist
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Reading EC261, it seems like an airline can get out of the duty of care responsibility by refunding the original ticket?

"If the airline does not comply with its obligation to offer re-routing or return under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity, it has to reimburse your flight costs."
That sentence doesn't concern the right to care. Rerouting and return are described in Article 8, but the right to care is described in Article 9.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Stolen from the BBC personal finance and consumer affairs , take as you see fit....
For those trying to get home, an airline has a duty of care to get you back if they have cancelled your flight. This may mean flying with another airline or putting you on a different mode of transport. If an extra overnight stay is required, the airline should pay for that as well as the food you need.However, for those who accept a refund for a cancelled return flight, the airline's duty of care ends at that point. You would then have to get yourself home, which could be difficult given the current restrictions.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
For those trying to get home, an airline has a duty of care to get you back if they have cancelled your flight. This may mean flying with another airline or putting you on a different mode of transport. If an extra overnight stay is required, the airline should pay for that as well as the food you need.However, for those who accept a refund for a cancelled return flight, the airline's duty of care ends at that point. You would then have to get yourself home, which could be difficult given the current restrictions.
While all of that makes sense, it may be worth pointing out that the terminology is also potentially misleading, because the right to rerouting or return is described in a different Article from that describing the right to care.

This thread started with a discussion about what is properly described as the right to care, so it may be useful to keep the two concepts separate.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Globaliser
While all of that makes sense, it may be worth pointing out that the terminology is also potentially misleading, because the right to rerouting or return is described in a different Article from that describing the right to care.

This thread started with a discussion about what is properly described as the right to care, so it may be useful to keep the two concepts separate.
I apologize for confusing the issue, I posted what I thought was appropriate as the BBC article references 'Duty of Care' which I assume is the same as 'right to care' you mention above, but of course I could be completely off beam once again.

It is indeed a minefield for the less informed like myself.
MikkelErikson likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
I apologize for confusing the issue, I posted what I thought was appropriate as the BBC article references 'Duty of Care' which I assume is the same as 'right to care' you mention above, but of course I could be completely off beam once again.

It is indeed a minefield for the less informed like myself.
No apology needed! The error was in the article that you quoted, the advice itself seems sensible, and it's useful to have it posted here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.