Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa travel ban.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
South Africa travel ban.

No news from BA as yet, but with no one who has been in Britain for 20 days being allowed in, it looks like only the Durban flight is a possibility. Crew can stay on board or remain air-side, change and re board. With the 12 hour tarmac time at JNB and CPT, I can't see how those flights can continue. I'd love to be wrong, as I have a trip booked for June with accommodation booked at 13 months out and flights at 355 days to secure it.

(I do feel like an impatient millennial saying no news only 5 working hours after the ban was announced....)
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by umgowah
No news from BA as yet, but with no one who has been in Britain for 20 days being allowed in, it looks like only the Durban flight is a possibility. Crew can stay on board or remain air-side, change and re board. With the 12 hour tarmac time at JNB and CPT, I can't see how those flights can continue. I'd love to be wrong, as I have a trip booked for June with accommodation booked at 13 months out and flights at 355 days to secure it.

(I do feel like an impatient millennial saying no news only 5 working hours after the ban was announced....)
I fail to see how the Durban flight would work. Could you explain?

Doc Copper
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No news from BA as yet, but with no one who has been in Britain for 20 days being allowed in, it looks like only the Durban flight is a possibility. Crew can stay on board or remain air-side, change and re board.
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Maybe BA could give all the crew amphetamines to stay awake so they can operate LHR-DUR and immediately operate DUR-LHR as well? ISTR that the USAF does/has done this?
DoctorCopper and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
My expectation/thought is that the crew return as passengers, so 2 crews go out, 1 for "there" and one for "back"

However the real question is that with tonight's flights being the last to go before the travel ban would impact, surely it isn't too much to ask that the website is updated to reflect it. Including DUR it is about 24 flights a week.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My expectation/thought is that the crew return as passengers, so 2 crews go out, 1 for "there" and one for "back"
ISTR that duty time limits would not permit this.

It's actually closer to being possible for cabin crew on JNB, who do now sometimes arrive at JNB on (say) Monday morning and then operate back to London on Monday night. Only in IRROPS, and not quite on the current schedule. And I'm not sure that pilots are allowed to do this (nor would I personally be happy if they were to do so). Given the exemptions that are in place in most (all?) countries for operating aircrew, this could be closer to being possible.
However the real question is that with tonight's flights being the last to go before the travel ban would impact, surely it isn't too much to ask that the website is updated to reflect it. Including DUR it is about 24 flights a week.
Which bit of which website is out-of-date?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Which bit of which website is out-of-date?
Umm, none, there is no longer a country by country list, just a reference to FCO advice. And the page is now showing as updated on the 16th, not the 13th.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
A friend of mine is on the holiday of a lifetime to South Africa, and purposely avoiding news of the virus and the impact it's having. She's still got 1½ weeks of holiday left, her flights are/were via CPT. I don't want to cause undue panic in her, but I'm guessing it's highly unlikely there won't be much/any services to South Africa in 1½ weeks given they're banning UK travel this week? Anyone got any insight or suggestions what to expect for SA routes?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver

I am in the same boat. 3 months is a long time - who knows what will happen. Have you travel insurance to cover hotels/excursions?
TBH, if only for managing my own expectations, but I'm expecting not to be able to go on any of my planned travel until Autumn
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/in...caveats-2020-9

On Wednesday day night plans were announced to open South Africa’s borders .
The list of countries from who visitors will be allowed has not yet been released
Negative Covid test 72hours before
To download contact-tracing app

Hopefully this will be good news to many
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
My step-daughter in Durban messaged me yesterday to say they have announced international borders will open on 1st October.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Friends & business associates in Cape Town said they are hopeful that people from the UK will be allowed in, but expressed concern at the rising number of cases in the UK, that may not be the case.

There are 2-issues

1. Will thew FCO lift the no travel to SA to enable insurance to be valid
2. Will you have to quarantine on return. There used to be a clear guide on this, 20 cases/100000 population, but the UK came up with some random, undisclosed numbers for the Greek Islands, and I was affect by the Crete being on the quarantine list, despite the number being 15.7
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:47 am
Original Poster

The UK has been temporarily suspended from the list of countries whose citizens can enter South Africa without a visa. (Department of Home Affairs - Exempt Countries). I suspect that getting a visa will be difficult, and potentially based on regional exposure in the manner adopted by Jersey.

Additionally passengers need a negative covid test certificate dated less than 72 hours before arrival, and will be screened on entry (presumably temperature scanning?). Those failing screening will enter quarantine in South Africa at their own expense.

I have a (twice rearranged) trip in March, and personally see the prospects of it occurring at 60/40. Which way the 60/40 is tilted depends on my mood on the day.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UK has been temporarily suspended from the list of countries whose citizens can enter South Africa without a visa. (Department of Home Affairs - Exempt Countries). I suspect that getting a visa will be difficult, and potentially based on regional exposure in the manner adopted by Jersey.

Additionally passengers need a negative covid test certificate dated less than 72 hours before arrival, and will be screened on entry (presumably temperature scanning?). Those failing screening will enter quarantine in South Africa at their own expense.

I have a (twice rearranged) trip in March, and personally see the prospects of it occurring at 60/40. Which way the 60/40 is tilted depends on my mood on the day.
Isn’t that the old list dating back to March?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It is the current list, but expected to be updated in the next few days. I'm not sure when the UK, France. USA et al were redlined. It could well have been March
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Timatic continues to say "Visa required". Oddly, it says that BOTCs and BNOs are visa exempt, but whatever toss might be argued over that, it doesn't help those with British citizen passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.