Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for refunds to be processed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Rang the Gold line this morning about a refund that I have been waiting for 30 days for (I was told when I originally requested the refund to call back in 30 days if it hadn't arrived). The lovely chap on the end said that he had escalated my refund and I should expect it back on my AMEX within the next 5-7 days. Honestly I wish I could fly instead of having to keep taking refunds!
Starship73 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Starship73
I rang the Gold line yesterday to chase up a sizeable refund I’ve been waiting more than a month for. I was told it could take up to another month to get the money because there aren’t enough staff to process the backlog. It’s reassuring to know I could get the money more or less straight away through the Amex dispute process but I’d rather get it sorted out through the normal channels. I have a certain amount of sympathy for BA given the current market challenges, but they have a lot of my cash already tied up in future bookings so it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect them to process what they owe me in a reasonable timeframe...
Just to close this one off... refund processed today, so took one month plus four days to be actioned
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:19 am

Chargeback but now received a refund

I ended up doing an American Express Chargeback as I had waited a very long time for a refund for a cancelled British airways flight (booked with ebookers). American Express put the money back on my card immediately - but now a refund has also appeared from British airways (not from ebookers).Will this automatically get sorted out or do I need to contact American Express to reverse the chargeback?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Call BA and asked to be rebooked on LH Group long haul as BA does not operate to your destination. They should grant your request on ZRH-SFO on LX.
HUACA if your request is not approved.

By the way, a kind reminder that you would need to be a US citizen/resident or have an appropriate visa ( tourist visas and ESTA are not valid even for essential purposes ) to travel to the USA from Schengen or UK soil.
Thanks for reminding me about the closed borders, its all OK, I have the papers! It was more the Swiss side with their quarantine, but now they have more or less given up, only 4 countries on the quarantine list...!
I will definitely HUACA if request is denied as you suggested since I feel the guidelines are in my favor, but I have some questions:
1) if I get a 'bad' agent and s/he sees that I only have a confirmed LHR-SFO at the moment and decides to take the most strict interpretation of the guidelines (insisting on BA transatlantic), and since there is no way to get out of ZRH on BA, will they put me on the spot and make me decide between cancelling/refunding or accepting a less than ideal 2 stop/overnight just so that they can squeeze in a BA transatlantic? or can I just tell them to leave the booking while I decide?
2) if I rebook to something that both BA and I agree to, but LX cancels in the next few weeks, then who is on the hook for the next rebook? BA (since its a 125 ticket stock) or LX, who cancelled the flight? I can just see them trying to pass the hot potato to each other, I don't want to end up in limbo while they fight it out amongst themselves.
I guess the best strategy is really just to call within 72 hours of departure?

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you have correctly interpreted BA's stance, it is to prioritise BA / Joint Business flights over competitors. So I would expect them to offer ZRH to London on the Lufthansa Group and ZRH to California on Joint Business airlines. This presumably would also allow routings via Madrid if that helped.

Now I'm not sure if you have specifically asked BA for the direct LH service from Switzerland to California, and it is certainly worth asking for, but if they decline then it's refund + rebook time. Maybe the cost is worth paying, if you are not prepared to stay over in London overnight. Personally I would do exactly that - you have mentioned that you don't like the idea of a 30 hour set of flights, well unfortunately that's the way flying goes these days, Everything is taking so much longer to do, and I speak from some experience. It is definitely a nuisance. But on the upside it's not necessarily a bad way to travel. If you select a hotel in the Heathrow area, sure you have to self isolate, but it then allows a shorter flight day in arriving in yothe USA and a faster adaption to the different time zones. If you shuffle work/leisure activities around the extended stay in London then you will minimise the impact.
Thanks for the reply, MAD is not really an option as my flight is in F. I booked it with the 50% Avios promo, so refunding is something I would really like to avoid as well, and on top of it, I actually have to go to SJC, so I am not interested in maybe bookings, kicking the can down the road either. I assume if they force me to take an overnight option, they would foot the bill for the hotel? How does that work, I pay first and then send in the receipts? (another reason to insist on the direct LX, IMHO)
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
I assume if they force me to take an overnight option, they would foot the bill for the hotel? How does that work, I pay first and then send in the receipts? (another reason to insist on the direct LX, IMHO)
You get right to care under EC261. If they cancel the connection (so assuming it is one ticket) which then creates an overnight stay requirement, BA will repay your hotel, food and travel expenses after travel is complete. The guideline is Ł200 per night but you should be able to do it comfortably for half this. Due to self isolation there isn't much point paying for additional hotel facilities, beyond room service / Uber Eats, which they all seem to be faciitating. If you're OK with somewhere like The Renaissance you could try asking at Customer Services by the UK Border for a hotel voucher.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Popinjay
I ended up doing an American Express Chargeback as I had waited a very long time for a refund for a cancelled British airways flight (booked with ebookers). American Express put the money back on my card immediately - but now a refund has also appeared from British airways (not from ebookers).Will this automatically get sorted out or do I need to contact American Express to reverse the chargeback?
Amex will sort it out. I had the same a few years back.
KARFA and Popinjay like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
So today when doing my latest batch of cancellations, was told to call back in 21 days if they haven't arrived yet, an improvement on the 30 days that I was told last time.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Popinjay
I've had this before; actually through Amex Travel and Amex. It was all sorted in the next statement!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
2) if I rebook to something that both BA and I agree to, but LX cancels in the next few weeks, then who is on the hook for the next rebook? BA (since its a 125 ticket stock) or LX, who cancelled the flight? I can just see them trying to pass the hot potato to each other, I don't want to end up in limbo while they fight it out amongst themselves.
I guess the best strategy is really just to call within 72 hours of departure?
I think that the answer is that both BA and LX are responsible to fix that under EU law, BA because you were originally booked on BA and LX because you once held an LX ticket. However, if you wait until closer to departure before you ask to be rebooked, then you won't have the problem with rebooking the ticket several times.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Booked a 2-1 on ba.com (Dec 2019) and had to cancel as had re-scheduled twice but could not do again as it would have been over 1 year since original booking. Cancelled over the phone (in October) and received the refund on both tickets together exactly one month later. As previously mentioned, miles and 2-1 voucher were re-credited immediately so no idea why you have to wait a month for the funds which should also be immediate if it was originally a ba.com booking, ba only flights etc etc.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Booked a 2-1 on ba.com (Dec 2019) and had to cancel as had re-scheduled twice but could not do again as it would have been over 1 year since original booking. Cancelled over the phone (in October) and received the refund on both tickets together exactly one month later. As previously mentioned, miles and 2-1 voucher were re-credited immediately so no idea why you have to wait a month for the funds which should also be immediate if it was originally a ba.com booking, ba only flights etc etc.
Due to the previous date change your refund had to be processed manually. Seems to be an odd feature of BA IT.

I recently refunded a LHR-MLE ticket for beginning of December. Money showed on the Amex statement after 2 days.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
As previously mentioned, miles and 2-1 voucher were re-credited immediately so no idea why you have to wait a month for the funds which should also be immediate if it was originally a ba.com booking, ba only flights etc etc.
The reason is that the cash element of your booking is having to be refunded manually, and is therefore in a queue to get human attention. If the automated system can do your refund, then you would get the cash back immediately too. But clearly, that system can't do your booking and so it's in the manual process. Is that frustrating? Yes; but like so much with pretty much all airlines at the moment, it is what it is.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Avios refund - gone to service centre for review

Hi All

I recently cancelled a point to point avios ticket and the agent said when he tried to refund the avios on the phone it said it needed to go to the service centre to review the avios amount.

Has anyone had experience of this? Am nervous is going to be one of those processes will need to keep chasing for months.

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have you changed it before?

The refund thread gives you some recent experiences of timelines How long for refunds to be processed
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is generally known as the Back Office team. It happens if your booking is no longer in the self serve channel, perhaps because it is a complicated booking, or you made multiple changes to it from the initial booking. You will need to watch it, we know there is a backlog with that team, but hopefully you will get the Avios refunded in a few weeks. See more examples in the main Rebook and also the Refund threads. It's not usually the Avios bit which is difficult, it's usually the cash component.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.