Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for refunds to be processed

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 3:08 pm

Cancelled a paid ticket on 5/7 and still no refund yet. Just keep sending me in circles.
Gorcat likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why have you not initiated a chargeback?
Because I was trying to be reasonably patient - I recognise its an odd time, and that people are trying their best, but equally when you find you are getting gently different stories each time, its harder to maintain the faith that they are being straight with you. When I was told 12 May, I was prepared to wait a few days assuming it was an AMEX issue, but its next stop on the escalation route if no joy by Friday
Old May 27, 2020, 12:42 am

I had my flight cancelled on 7th May, phoned up straight away and requested a refund. I received the seat charge refund to my credit card the next day but have heard nothing about the ticket refund (I was told on the phone that I would receive an email confirming the refund but haven’t had that yet).

I realise it’s a very busy time for BA and don’t mind waiting a while but how long should I give it before I take follow up action and what should that be? My sister also requested a refund for a cancelled flight on the same day and was told refunds were taking between 6 to 8 weeks - is that correct?
Old May 27, 2020, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer1
I realise it’s a very busy time for BA and don’t mind waiting a while but how long should I give it before I take follow up action and what should that be? My sister also requested a refund for a cancelled flight on the same day and was told refunds were taking between 6 to 8 weeks - is that correct?
After a couple of weeks you should send a Private Message to the BA Refund Helper. See upthread and see also the main Rebooking thread. That timeline seems a bit long to me, but it depends on the details of payment and currency. If it was in USD and complicated then it's plausible.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After a couple of weeks you should send a Private Message to the BA Refund Helper. See upthread and see also the main Rebooking thread. That timeline seems a bit long to me, but it depends on the details of payment and currency. If it was in USD and complicated then it's plausible.
Thanks for the response. I should have said that I already sent a PM to BA Refund Helper a few days ago but haven’t received a response - I guess they are pretty snowed under at this point.

The booking was a simple flight only (UK start point to a European destination) booked online directly with BA and paid for with a credit card in GBP. I thought that would be quite straightforward for a refund but seemingly not.

I guess I’ll wait it out for a few more weeks and see what happens. Perhaps the refund timing is connected to the original flight date (which was mid June) in which case I’ll perhaps receive it then?
Old May 29, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have also requested a refund with the Gold line several weeks ago, which I also then PM’d to BA Refund Helper over a week ago and still nothing.

Perhaps this assistance has now been withdrawn by BA? Does anyone know if BA Refund Helper are still assisting with these cases or is it now a matter of just waiting for BA to process (however long that takes)?
Old May 29, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: British Airways
Just got off the phone for a refund - I was told 'Up to 21 working days', so we're looking at around a month.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by CharlesWindsorClive1964
Just got off the phone for a refund - I was told 'Up to 21 working days', so we're looking at around a month.
'Up to 21 working days' sounds to me like something the agent just made up. I'd believe an estimate of 20 working days, or 21 days, but 21 working days makes little sense.
Old May 29, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Misco60
'Up to 21 working days' sounds to me like something the agent just made up. I'd believe an estimate of 20 working days, or 21 days, but 21 working days makes little sense.
Don't know, but if it's under a month then I can't complain compared to what I've been told from other airlines (Finnair 8 weeks; Emirates 8-10 weeks)
Old May 29, 2020, 6:33 am

I don’t know if it’s the power of posting here, BA Refund Helper or just a queer quirk but I received my refund yesterday. So, refund requested on 7th May and refund received 28th May - I’m happy with that. Given that I retired on 20th March (great timing) with lots of travel plans to celebrate now gone I’m just looking forward to the time when I can get back in the air again!
Old May 29, 2020, 8:32 am

Just has a message from BA Refund Helper - they are very much still here and available to help. Seems my initial PM did not reach them but they are monitoring this thread.

BA Refund Helper - Thank you!
Old May 29, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Phoned the Gold Line about 10 days ago about a trip that was cancelled/refund-requested mid-April. Agent also said 21 days - and that we were "within that period", until I pointed out that it had actually been 28 days... . Note to self: PM BA Helper... .

Somewhat in contrast to an AA booking (on Ba metal) that was all done online and the refund was back on my CC within 7 days.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:34 am

Called the Gold line on Wednesday afternoon this week - straight through with no holding and received the credit on my Amex this morning. Maybe this was atypical (straightforward cash booking) but I was very impressed.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Another data point....Had a request processed by the Gold Line for a UUA'd ticket on 7/5 and haven't had anything back yet. Can see the confirmation number has changed to REFUND on Check My Trip but not much else. Will PM BA refund helper if there's no progress next week.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:04 pm

Just a single data point: I requested a refund for a cancelled trip on May 8 via twitter; the refund hit the credit card account on May 27.

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.