How long for refunds to be processed

Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Money back in my Amex account today (18.04.2020) just two days after I called BA for the cash refund. Can't get much better than this, kudos to BA.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:45 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I too am very impressed by BA’s efficiency here.
BA Holidays deposit refunded yesterday (within 1 day of an announced May flight cancellation).

As a comparison, I’m still waiting for refunds from cancelled flights from AY (requested 28 March) and AA (requested 6 April).

BA ahead of other airlines here- makes it much less stressful not having to chase these refunds at what is already a stressful time.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:21 am

one data point here - phoned up on Tuesday to cancel 2 flights, got through in about 5 minutes, money back in my account on Friday.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
one data point here - phoned up on Tuesday to cancel 2 flights, got through in about 5 minutes, money back in my account on Friday.
Can I ask, were they straight forward all cash bookings, no upgrades using Avios or reduced fare by using Avios? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Can I ask, were they straight forward all cash bookings, no upgrades using Avios or reduced fare by using Avios? Thanks.
Relatively straight forward, yes. Only had one issue where somehow the payment card name was not my name, even though it was my card, but instead was one of the people I had booked for (!) so they had to phone up separately to get through data protection, but they also got through relatively easily.

The person I spoke to mentioned that they were over their own peak now and it has calmed down a bit. She said they were setting up the ability to work from home, but that you had to have a landline installed and active for that to be a possibility
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
Relatively straight forward, yes. Only had one issue where somehow the payment card name was not my name, even though it was my card, but instead was one of the people I had booked for (!) so they had to phone up separately to get through data protection, but they also got through relatively easily.

The person I spoke to mentioned that they were over their own peak now and it has calmed down a bit. She said they were setting up the ability to work from home, but that you had to have a landline installed and active for that to be a possibility
Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:43 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
After waiting more than four weeks for a refund, I sent a PM to BA refund helper on 16.04. to request assistance.

Just 11 minutes (!) later he wrote that my refund was on its way. That was late afternoon UK time. Today I can see that the refund posted to my card the following day (17.04.). This was a private trip for two in F (it would have been our first paid F), so it's not a trivial amount of cash and getting it back makes a real difference.

I've thanked BArh privately, but this level of service also deserves public praise. Sincere thanks to BArh and to those who helped facilitate his presence here.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Hawk777
I don't know anyone who has been refused a refund when the flight has been cancelled. Unless tjey have already decided to take a voucher instead which is their choice
It wasn't their choice, that's the whole point. BA changed the option to cancel online, even for fully-flexible 100% refundable cancel-at-any-time bookings. Cancelling the ticket online, which normally resulted in a refund, instead resulted in a voucher (or spend hours trying to reach someone at a call centre - I couldn't even get an an answer from GGL on the day in question). To attempt to use a pandemic (and their own IT incompetence) as an excuse to not to refund fully-refundable tickets is just immoral.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I still have not received the tax refund which I paid in full after 3 weeks now, despite repeated attempts on many fronts including a private message to BA Helper a few days ago with my 3 reservations and names of passengers. I'm worried BA is going the way of Flybee.
It's shameful to hold on to money this long. I've paid this tax for almost a year.
I'm thinking of calling my credit card company for help. The 3 flights have already been cancelled by BA a while ago.
What should I do next? Frustrate is an understatement.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by NeedBAHelperDesperately
I still have not received the tax refund which I paid in full after 3 weeks now, despite repeated attempts on many fronts including a private message to BA Helper a few days ago with my 3 reservations and names of passengers. I'm worried BA is going the way of Flybee.
It's shameful to hold on to money this long. I've paid this tax for almost a year.
I'm thinking of calling my credit card company for help. The 3 flights have already been cancelled by BA a while ago.
wait a few more days? Even if BArh had processed your ticket immediately, it would still take a few days to clear?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NeedBAHelperDesperately
I would suggest reaching out to BA Refund Helper again, I have had success down that route. At least they should be able to give you an update on your case.

Thanks to them all my refunds are now sorted.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:53 am

I can see that the time you should wait before contacting BA refund helper has changed over time. What's the current suggested waiting time before sending a PM? Last I read it was 14 days, but I've also seen 10 and 7 days on this forum. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajamieson
It wasn't their choice, that's the whole point. BA changed the option to cancel online, even for fully-flexible 100% refundable cancel-at-any-time bookings. Cancelling the ticket online, which normally resulted in a refund, instead resulted in a voucher (or spend hours trying to reach someone at a call centre - I couldn't even get an an answer from GGL on the day in question). To attempt to use a pandemic (and their own IT incompetence) as an excuse to not to refund fully-refundable tickets is just immoral.
don't disagree with the website issue but it was a choice to take the voucher it clearly states on the form applying for it that if you want a refund to call in not to fill in the form it couldn't be clearer.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I can see that the time you should wait before contacting BA refund helper has changed over time. What's the current suggested waiting time before sending a PM? Last I read it was 14 days, but I've also seen 10 and 7 days on this forum. Thanks.
It's 7. I am not sure it's changed? In any case I would tend to leave it for maybe 10-14 days before contacting. How long have you been waiting?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Worst yet, the booking reference for the flight has also disappeared, as if I don't have that flight anymore. Unbelievable. They need to leave the booking so I know that they have not reimbursed me the tax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.