FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Expertflyer - COVN Cancellation Code (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2013089-expertflyer-covn-cancellation-code.html)

hypercrypt Mar 15, 20 12:17 pm

Expertflyer - COVN Cancellation Code

Our flight on Tuesday to Berlin has been cancelled.

Comments:
DOBA8493/17MAR
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA8493 2 TU 17MAR20
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 0804
COVN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA8493 2 TU 17MAR20
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
LCY 1315 TU JCDRI/M YB/S E90 1:40
HKMLVNOQSG/S
TXL 1555 TU 1:40
COMMENTS-
1.LCY TXL - AIRCRAFT OWNER BA CITYFLYER
2.LCY TXL - OPERATED BY BA CITYFLYER
3.LCY TXL - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
4.LCY TXL - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.LCY TXL - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.LCY TXL - CO2/PAX* 131.78 KG ECO, 131.78 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
E90 C 22 M 76
>
Does anyone know what COVN means? I assume something like COrona Virus - No compensation? Does anyone know?

Note: I am not looking to profit from this hard time and arguing about compensation, just interested in the meaning of the code as can't seem to find anything on Google.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 15, 20 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by hypercrypt (Post 32189342)
Does anyone know what COVN means? I assume something like COrona Virus - No compensation? Does anyone know?

I think I know most of the codes by now, and that is a new one on me, so I'm nearly certain you are correct.

Akoz Mar 15, 20 2:59 pm

Or COVid Nineteen

Nephoi Mar 15, 20 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Akoz (Post 32190075)
Or COVid Nineteen

i donít think That is correct. The last letter is always y for yes and n for no regarding the eligibility for eu261 compensation

Hawk777 Mar 15, 20 3:11 pm

Yes it's the code being used for the virus and anything relating to it. We have to enter it into any booking/change to get fee waived

Nephoi Mar 15, 20 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk777 (Post 32190130)
Yes it's the code being used for the virus and anything relating to it. We have to enter it into any booking/change to get fee waived

oh. You are one of those ppl who work like 24/7 to help as much travelers as possible?

thank you so much.

Gastrocnemius Mar 15, 20 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk777 (Post 32190130)

Have you ever entered the code COVY??

Hawk777 Mar 15, 20 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius (Post 32190166)
Have you ever entered the code COVY??

yes that was the original code for the very first bookwith confidence policy for bookings made from 3 march before the real crap hit the fan

hypercrypt Mar 15, 20 3:48 pm

Is it accepted that all flights cancelled are not subject to EU261 then? I think there are many arguments to say that it should, just interested if that's been established or of BA have just made the decision that this is how they're interpreting it.

(For the record, I don't think that I would claim on this one, even if it was eligible as BA and the wider industry have enough to deal with and I rather they cancel some flights than fly essentially empty planes around)

OddJobMan Mar 15, 20 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by hypercrypt (Post 32190314)
Is it accepted that all flights cancelled are not subject to EU261 then? I think there are many arguments to say that it should, just interested if that's been established or of BA have just made the decision that this is how they're interpreting it.

(For the record, I don't think that I would claim on this one, even if it was eligible as BA and the wider industry have enough to deal with and I rather they cancel some flights than fly essentially empty planes around)

I agree with you about not claiming, but it could be argued they are cancelling to save money and not for reasons beyond their control.
Unless the crew are barred from entry.

Often1 Mar 15, 20 4:30 pm

The EC 261/2004 debate will rage on FT for a long time. But, I suspect that it will ultimately be a "no". The underlying cause of all of the problems is the disease and the fact that there are ensuing restrictions and that changes the landscape does not change whether the cancellation itself is due to an "extraordinary circumstance".

Scots_Al Mar 15, 20 4:41 pm

Iíd always come back to a reasonableness test - or the what would the man on the Clapham Omnibus say test.

In ordinary circumstances, an airline cancelling flights to reduce capacity because it is undersold is clearly something in its control. It would be reasonable to expect compensation.

In todayís circumstances, yes you can argue that the airline is voluntarily cancelling some flights. But I think the reasonable man on the Clapham Omnibus would say that the circumstances which have led them to do so are exceptional, and therefore compensation should not be owed.

Tobias-UK Mar 15, 20 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by OddJobMan (Post 32190469)
I agree with you about not claiming, but it could be argued they are cancelling to save money and not for reasons beyond their control.
Unless the crew are barred from entry.

Yes, it could also be argued the underlying cause of a cancellation on economic and/or environmental grounds is a direct result of COVID-19 and as such may well be considered an extraordinary circumstance.

Bohinjska Bistrica Mar 15, 20 5:00 pm

Surely any doubt on whether the circumstances are extraordinary or not is removed by the ever increasing number of countries closing their borders?

We are nearly at the point where unless the airline is carrying a plane load of nationals of that country, there is no point in flying as everyone else will be denied entry.

GF2B Mar 15, 20 5:02 pm

Could anyone shed some light on tomorrow's BA125 delay. Website shows 'Delayed', with updated departure and arrival times TBC.

Lots of confusion on this one. The BAH-DMM sector has been canceled, but its erroneously giving everyone booked on LHR-BAH a "Disruption Change - Flight Canceled" page at OLCI and MMB. Even had a colleague proceed on that page to reschedule their flight to 17MAR. BA just sent an email around saying the service to Bahrain is still running.

Anyone also have the loads on the flight - I'd imagine lots of people are trying to get back.